Posted by Ciaran McNulty on November 12th, 2009
I’ve had a run of Araucaria recently, and was hit by a pang of fear when I saw how many clues referred to 11ac today. However, once that clue fell I relaxed as it became apparent the rest would be straightforward herb definitions.
7. ROSEMARY. ROS(ME<)ARY.
9. ERMINE. “ER, MINE?”. Traditional clothing for a judge.
10. DILL. (en)D + ILL.
11. HERB GARDEN. HER + B.G. + ARDEN.
12. GARLIC. GALLIC with L(eft) changed to R(ight).
14. CAMOMILE. CAM + 0 MILE.
15. ORNATE. NEARTO* &lit.
17. STATUS. STAT(U)S.
20. MARJORAM. MAR + JORAM. A joram is a large drink as well as a person in the bible, apparently.
22. FORAGE. FOR AGE.
23. GRAMMARIAN. G + RAM + MARIAN.
24. MINT. dd.
25. TUXEDO. OU(X)TED*
1. POSITANO. POSIT A NO. I confess I had to look at a map.
2. KEEL. LEEK<
3. PATHIC. APITCH*. Initially wondered about ‘haptic’.
4. BERGAMOT. BERG + A.M. + TO<.
5. IMPRIMATUR. IMP + R + 1 + MATUR(e). R = ‘recipe’ in latin = take.
6. UNWELL. U.N. WELL.
8. YORICK. YOR(1 C)K.
13. LONG JUMPER. LONG + JUMPER.
16. TARRAGON. TAR + RAG ON.
18. SAGENESS. SAGE + NESS.
19. EMPIRE. ‘EMP + IRE.
21. AIRBUS. A(BRI(tish)<)US.
22. FENNEL. FE(N N)EL.
24. MOLY. “MOLEY”.