Independent 7,205/Dac

Posted by Ali on November 18th, 2009

Ali.

Yet another fine offering from Dac, though he got the better of me with 4A and 6D!

1 DEPUTY – PUT in YE’D rev.
4 HESPERUS – PERU in [-c]HESS – I guessed the CHESS part here, but couldn’t get the rest!
10 FRENCHIES – This is presumably FRENCH [-fr]IES, but not sure why ‘fish if short of time’ is FR
11 ALLOA – Hidden in annormAL LOAd
12 CHERISH – H + SIRE rev, in CH(urch)
14 LIQUID ASSETS – L1 QUID + S TESSA rev.
18 INCONSOLABLE – LAB in IN CONS OLE
21 SHALLOW – ALL in SHOW
23 OSMANLI – OS (large) + N in MALI
24 ORBIT – BRO rev. + I.T
25 TAKING OFF – DOuble def.
26 FREE PORT – (PREFER TO)*
27 HARMAN – HAR[-d]MAN
1 DEFECT – EC in DEFT
2 PEELER – Initial letters of P(erform) E(vidently) + (LEER)*
3 TACTITION – “Tack Titian”
5 EAST INDIA DOCKS – (A CASK I’D NOTED)*
6 PLATE – I think this is a double def.
7 RELEASED – E in (DEALERS)*
8 SLAPDASH – Cha. of SLAP (hit) + DASH (run)
9 FISH OUT OF WATER – Cryptic def.
15 SALAMANCA – ANC in SA + LAMA
16 FIRST OFF – FIRS,TOFF
17 SCRAMBLE – S[-1]C + RAMBLE
19 ON FORM – Double def.
20 TIFFIN – TIFF,IN
22 LET UP – (LUTE)* + P

9 Responses to “Independent 7,205/Dac”

1. Conrad Cork says:

6 down is a reverse hidden word in ‘metal piece’.

2. diarib says:

10a is (t)ENCH inside FRIES

3. NealH says:

I think tabbouleh is a refugee from one of last week’s puzzles.

This was very good – I particularly liked 5 down. Hesperus was the last one I got.

4. Ali says:

Thanks for the pointers all. Taboulleh also duly deleted (I always use my last blog as a template!)

5. nmsindy says:

Yes, excellent, from Dac – did not find it too difficult. HESPERUS a word I knew from solving puzzles – it was my last entry. Thanks for the blog, Ali, one very minor typo. 3 dn should read ‘tactician’

6. Wil Ransome says:

Excellent as always, but I thought FRENCHIES (10ac) wasn’t very PC. Whatever next? Nignogs?

7. eimi says:

I did hesitate over “Frenchies” but the dictionary didn’t tag it as offensive, unlike Homer Simpson’s “cheese-eating surrender monkeys”.

8. eimi says:

Actually, I’ve just realised that Dac was being rather prescient with 13 (omitted from the blog) Ireland, 18 Inconsolable, thanks to 10.

9. pennes says:

Just a quibble because they are so rare in Dac’s puzzles. If I understand 9 dn correctly as a reference to a school of whales then I have to mention that a whale is a mammal and not a fish. But I do think Dac my favourite setter