Financial Times 13,238 / Alberich

Posted by Gaufrid on November 19th, 2009

Gaufrid.

I must again apologise for the late appearance of this analysis. I don’t know what has happened to smiffy, I only hope it is work rather than health related.

Another excellent offering from Alberich today, a fine puzzle with pleasing (and in places, misleading) surfaces and a good variety of wordplay. I was going to list my favourite clues but it soon became clear there were so many that it would be impossible to make the selection small enough to fit in the preamble. Many thanks, Alberich. Keep up the good work.

1 JANACEK JANA (female compatriot) CEK homophone of ‘Czech’ (his nationality)
5 REFUGE FUG (unpleasant atmosphere) in REE (bird)
8 BETRAYALS B (book) *(EARLY AS T)
9 OSTIA [ches]S in OT (books) I (one) A (article)
11 CRAMP [picni]C RAMP (climb)
12 SANDPIPER as a Cockney might say ‘sandpaper’ (rough stuff)
13 MILLRACE R (run) in *(CLAIM L[iv]E)
15 HOSTEL S[tudents] in HOTEL (accommodation) &lit
17 ORANGE cd – reference to the rainbow
19 GRAFFITO RAF (servicemen) FIT (able) in GO (travel)
22 TENTATIVE ATTENTIVE (vigilant) with AT moved
23 PUPIL dd
24 RATIO RAT (desert) I (island) O (disc)
25 CROSSWORD ROSS (fellow) in C (about) WORD (promise)
26 CELERY CELER[it]Y (rapidity without ‘it’)
27 SHOWERY OW[n]ER (gutless proprietor) in SHY (embarrassed)

1 JOB’S COMFORTER JOB (task) *(FORCES MORT[ally])
2 NETBALL cd&d
3 CLASP S (son) in CLAP (show approval)
4 KNAPSACK NAPS (is sleeping) in KACK (rubbish)
5 RESENT RES[id]ENT (guest without ‘I had’)
6 FOOLPROOF FOOL (pudding) PROOF (result of eating it?)
7 GO TO POT dd
10 APRIL FOOLS’ DAY *(OF RADIO PLAYS L)
14 RIGMAROLE RIG (fix) M[achine] A ROLE (part)
16 GRIEVOUS IE (that is) V (very) in GROUS[e] (complain endlessly)
18 ANNETTE NET (capture) in ANTE (stake)
20 IMPLORE IMP LORE (stories about goblins)
21 BITCHY B (born) ITCHY (with strong desire)
23 PESTO P[r]ESTO (very quickly loses recipe)

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,238 / Alberich”

1. Agentzero says:

Thanks, Gaufrid. I guessed REFUGE but was familiar with neither FUG nor REE.

17 is an &lit! It is O (the second to appear in “colour”) + RANGE (spectrum). Orange is in fact the second colour in the spectrum (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet, memorized in school as that enigmatic character ROY G. BIV)

2. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was a very good puzzle, my favourite clue was RATIO. 6 down, I think, refers to the saying PROOF OF THE PUDDING is in EATING IT.

3. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Agentzero. I had looked for P (second in appear), or even S, in a colour that would give a word meaning ‘spectrum’ but failed to see the ‘second’ in ‘colour’ + spectrum.

The mnenonic I learnt was ‘vibgyor’.

Thanks for filling in again, Gaufrid.

Neither of those mnemonics makes any sense to me – probably scientific / technical. Being on the Arts side, I relied on ‘Richard of York gave battle in vain’.

5. Jake says:

I figured 17ac ‘orange’ as 2nd colour in traffic lights which either way its viewed?

All I has to go on was O—– which fitted!!!

Totally different and probably wrong to all of you, but, it is the second to appear in traffic lights.