Guardian 24,864 – Rufus

Posted by Ciaran McNulty on November 23rd, 2009

Ciaran McNulty.

A decent Monday puzzle with a couple of weakish cryptic definitions.  I guess it’s hard to come up with ‘easy’ CDs!

1. TWENTY. 2 + 0.
4. BASEBALL. BASE + BALL.
9. KNIVE. K + Ni + Fe (all metals).
10. AREA CODES. SEAA(COD)RE*.
11. ARISTOTLE. TOTALISER*.
12. NICHE. NIC(H)E.
17. SAN FRANCISCO. CAS(FRANC)INOS*.
20. DELHI. Invested can mean ‘put under siege’, and the Siege of Delhi was in 1857.
21. SHED A TEAR. SHE’D A TEAR.
23. EXQUISITE. Double def, exquisite also means ‘extreme’.
24. RATED. TRADE*.
25. EVERY ONE. Double def, reference to the Lewis Carroll poem “The Walrus and the Carpenter”.
26. PARSEE. PARSE + E.

1. TAKE ARMS. Double def.
2. EDITIONS. INTOSIDE*. Not sure about ‘pushed’ as anagrind.
3. THEFT. Cryptic def.
5. AN EYE FOR AN EYE. Cryptic def.
6. ECCENTRIC. Double def.
7. ADDICT. A(DID*)CT.
8. LASHED. LA(SHE)D.
10. AFTER A FASHION. AFTER + A FASHION.
14. VIABILITY. VI + ABILITY.
15. ASBESTOS. Cryptic def.
16. PORRIDGE. Double def (prison time).
18. ADHERE. DAREHE*.
19. PLAQUE. Cryptic def.
22. AORTA. (se)A OR TA(nk).

19 Responses to “Guardian 24,864 – Rufus”

1. Uncle Yap says:

Thanks Ciaran

5A KNIFE, a typo since you parsed it perfectly

2. NeilW says:

Thanks, Ciaran.

This morning I accidentally hit the “Quiptic” button and had finished the crossword before I realised my mistake. The main reason was because it was much better than the standard Monday fare from Rufus (not that I’m knocking him) and I assumed that Hectence was a new setter for Mondays! Thoroughly recommended as an entertaining puzzle without being too challenging.

Thanks for the blog, Ciaran.

It’s nice to see Rufus back on a wet Monday morning, with his characteristically elegant clues. [That's not to say I didn't enjoy Orlando last week.] Some lovely surfaces here, I thought, as usual, in particular 1, 9, 17, 20, 21, 24ac and 15, 18, 19 and 22dn.

I thought your ‘across’ clues looked a little ‘thin’ – and then discovered you’d missed out 13, 24 and 25!

4. Ciaran McNulty says:

Crikey, good point Eileen.

5. Tom_I says:

Thanks, Ciaran.

I read the double def in 23a as EXQUISITE (adj) meaning ‘extremely fine’ and (noun) meaning ‘a dandy, a fop’.

6. Dave Ellison says:

I got through most of this reasonably quickly. I put YARDBALL at 4a, which fits the clue, but didn’t help with 6d (particularly as I had spelled 17a San FranSisco!). And I thought 19d was BATTLE (an anagram), again which would fit, if a tablet were at the site of a battle.

Hi Dave

I had the same thoughts as you about ‘battle’ but had too many crossing letters [including Q!] for it to be right. It’s actually a double, as well as a cryptic definition, isn’t it? – an excellent clue, I thought.

8. Ian says:

An excellent workout. Man Overboard – very funny.

9. liz says:

Thanks, Ciaran. Enjoyable and elegant puzzle. I particularly liked the surfaces of 17 and 24.

At his best, Rufus makes it look easy.

Yes, Ian, MAN OVERBOARD was my favourite too. And given the rain we’re having in this neck of the woods today, quite apposite – you’d almost need a lifejacket out there at the minute.

11. pendrov says:

im struggling with 15d, could some kind person explain more fully. thx.

12. Derek Lazenby says:

Had a rare awake day and finished, albeit with my usual gadgets. Thank goodness for Rufus! I’d better have a sleep now!

My wife has been doing most of the puzzles, but I’ve been keeping an eye on the blog. Missed some fun arguments, but it wouldn’t have been right to join in.

13. NeilW says:

@pendrov

I think you’re trying too hard! ASBESTOS is fire-retardent. As Ciaran noted a couple of the cds are a little weak…

14. BarryW says:

Hi Pendrov,
    I thought 15d was a very bad clue, hardly cryptic at all – “contain” in the sense of not allowing to spread. I’m not a fan of Rufus, but I did like 16d.
    BarryW

15. Bryan says:

Pendrov

ASBESTOS was once used as a fire screen in theatres, for example.

Watch ’42nd Street’ (1933) and see the curtain marked ‘Asbestos’.

Now, it’s considered a serious health risk and just yesterday one of the papers headlined the plight of those who were still suffering and dying without ever having been compensated.

16. Lanson says:

I had ‘bear arms’ at 1d and was trying to work out which weapon ‘alloy’ referred to @9a
    I also had ‘treat’ @3d, seemed as weak as ‘theft’ and fitted

17. rrc says:

I enjoyed this crossword and some clues even produced a smile 15 and 16 for example

18. Sil van den Hoek says:

Agree with Liz (#9), enjoyable and elegant.
    Some very good clues (and fine surfaces), some very poor cd’s as well.
    And Liz, that’s how it is indeed: “at his best, Rufus makes it look easy”.

Normally we can’t finish a Rufus (or should I say Ufus, because the pdf gave us a Guardian Cyptic Crossword today) without cheating, but this time we won !!
    So this one must have been slightly easier than usual.

On the way to completion we made one mistake, 8d.
    Only having the E of NICHE, we got TANNED which would fit the clue just as good as LASHED : ANN inside TED, and TANNED cán mean “beaten”.

19. liz says:

Sil — I’m with you on the cds — not my favourite, either, but I liked the clue for PLAQUE, which locked up nicely.

Normally I can’t finish a Rufus, either!