Independent 7203 by Glow-worm

Posted by NealH on November 23rd, 2009

NealH.

This was quite tough but ultimately enjoyable.

1 Intellectual: Tell in (clue at n I)*.
9 Gyp: Hidden in “dodgy patella”.
10 Crenellate: Nell in Create.
11 Strand: Don’t really see what’s cryptic about this one. It looks like a direct definition, but I’m obviously missing some subtlety.
12 Tarrying: Tarring (= putting surface on) around [da]y.
13 Floorcloth: F loth around loo RC.
15 Heap: Initial letters of “Himalayas experiencing abnormal pressure”.
16 Envy: Odd letters of Edna + v + [pon]y.
17 Fuddy Duddy: F + [b]uddy [b]uddy around d.
18 In camera: American*.
20 Uneven: Hidden in “rerun event”.
21 Escarpment: Carp in (men set)*.
22 Oar: [b]oar[d].
23 Satisfactory: SAT is f + actor + Y[eovil].
2 Night Blindness: (in l[a]bs things end)*.
3 Expiatory: Ex + PIA + tory.
4 Lucid: Rather unconvincing hom of “loose it”.
5 Chests of drawers: CD.
6 Unearthly: Une + art + H[en]l[e]y.
7 Lolly: Lo[CA]lly.
8 Standard Bearer: Didn’t entirely follow this – “Sinatra among singers – and one of his discs”. I suppose Sintra might be a standard bearer among singers and I can only assume that this must be a song or album of his, but not familiar with it.
14 Coffee pot: Hom of “cough” + EE + pot.
15 Housecoat: (UE + cahoots)*.
19 Amass: A + Mass.
20 Ultra: art[f]ul*.

9 Responses to “Independent 7203 by Glow-worm”

1. sidey says:

4d Homonym of loose + id = primitive energies, I think.

Sinatra’s songs can be regarded as ‘standards’, do a disc of them could be a standard bearer.

coastline or coast + line, sort of three definitions.

If 4d worked that way (loose) then it should be rein and not reign, surely? Or are we missing something?

3. Mick H says:

I think 4dn must be a typo – the phrase should surely be ‘give rein to’, which would make the homonym work OK.

4. Helen Sarah says:

I think 4d is a typo and should read ‘rein’. But ‘primitive energies’ refers to the id I think, so not a play on ‘lose it’ but ‘loose….id’

5. eimi says:

Homer nodded. 4 Down should have said ‘rein’ – this was a replacement clue supplied by the setter and obviously I didn’t check it properly. Mea culpa.

6. IanN14 says:

Unlike you, eimi.
    Mind elsewhere?
    Got something to celebrate?…

7. eimi says:

I woke up this morning and wasn’t sure whether I’d dreamed the football, but no, I can’t claim that it had any effect on my failing to spot the mistake, which would have happened last week. The online version is now corrected.

8. Quixote says:

The clue to ENVY had a relatively cunning subsidiary indication but a giveaway definition. Since ENVY is one of the ten deadly sins, using ‘sin’ as a definition would have been a more subtle idea. I did this one while waiting for my wife at the hospital (nothing serious). Romped thorugh without understanding a lot of it, but that’s often the way and it stops me remembering other setters’ clues and copying them!

9. David S says:

10d Surely crenellate implies indents and not indentures. Some sorts of indenture do have indents, but not the apprenticeship type.