Independent 7211 by Dac

Posted by nmsindy on November 25th, 2009

nmsindy.

Solving time,  18 mins.     Excellent, as ever, from Dac.

* = anagram  < = reversed

ACROSS

1 HO SEA(of Galilee)    Prophet from the Bible

4 WADES INTO   ad = notice in (townies)*

9 GR EGORIAN    a in (region)*     The calendar we use now

10 MI CRA   arc<    Good surface

11 FLAT TOP    Definition: crew cut    US aircraft carrier = flattop (one word)

12 David HOCK N(E)Y   NY = New York    E = opening (first letter) of exhibition

13/14 VEGETARIAN FOOD   (good native fare)*    V appropriate anagram “fodder”

17 SLAP ON THE WRIST   (Welsh star in top)*   Good misdirection in surface

22 MORNING    greeting = “mourning”, I think

23 N (ON-US) ER(o)      Roman Emperor

24 CON GO

25 AUTHOR IS facE

26 WIS(e) CONS  IN

27 GREET    Hidden     Definition:  to use HIGH FIVES

DOWN

1 HIGH (euphoric)  FIVES (game)

2 SHE (CA hit in the 1970s)  BANG (a big hit)     Definition:  issue = affair, matter etc

3 APO STATE   (o pa)<    governor = pa

4 WHISPERING GRASS    1970s hit     pun on sing = grass = inform

5 DINAH (“diner”)  WASHINGTON     Singer from 1940s to 1960s nmsindy remembers well (from the later period…)

6 SUMACH   (a chum’s)*

7 NO CAN DO    Suspected this was the answer straightaway from definition and enumeration.  Don’t understand the wordplay, though.   ‘do’ may mean ‘work’.   “What would make Co-op work? Impossible”     Thanks, Gaufrid, for explaining this at comment 2 below.

8 O RACY

15 DE (TERRE) NT    terre = country in French, ie according to S.     Euphemism for nuclear weapon.

16 SWAN S  ON Grand    swan, a literary word for a poet   on = taking the stage

18 A1  RINGS

20 INSPIRE     (ie prison)* less o.     My favourite clue with cleverly misleading use of ‘stir’

21 K (I’M) O NO (little number)

22 MAC AW

6 Responses to “Independent 7211 by Dac”

1. Harris says:

Just spent a very enjoyable half hour with this over my lunchbreak, and came within three of completing it. I think that 7ac may be a play on ‘no can do’ meaning a party with no cans allowed, a clue I’ve seen at least once before. Can’t quite get it to work, though.

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi NMS

7d ‘Co-op’ with NO C AND O leaves ‘op’ (work)

3. Harris says:

Brilliant! Thanks for the explantion, Gaufrid.

4. Wil Ransome says:

Now that’s more like it. Good tidy clues that make you think but are accessible and that don’t raise questions once you’ve solved them. But I suppose it’s a matter of what level one is at.

5. Al Streatfield says:

Great puzzle. 7dn is a wonderful clue. It took me a while to work out the explanation. (I think it deserves an &lit, judging by a Co-op in Dulverton, Somerset which despite having its ethical heart in the right place, must be one of the world’s worst shops I have been into).

6. bigbadmarty says:

This puzzle was reproduced as i1125 today . I had to do some digging for 7d – very good !
    To my shame I had ONANY for 8d !!
    Nice blog to find .