Independent 7,212/Tees

Posted by Ali on November 26th, 2009

Ali.

Took me a while to break the back of this one even though I got the long clue at 1/21/4 early doors. There are some good deceptive clues in here and I’ve learnt some new words (always good), though one or two might need explaining!

9 HANDSHAKE – HANDS with HAKE
10 ERICA – Hidden in summER I CAn
11 LEOPARD – EO (limits of embargo) + P in LARD
12 C S LEWIS – SLEW in CIS – I did initially try to see how T S ELIOT would work here!
13 OVER – OVER[-t]
14 COURT BARON – OUR TB in C[-h]ARON
16 TITRATE – RA in TITTE[-r]
17 AMBATCH – A.M BATCH – Never heard of this before, but got it from the (nice) worplay
19 EL SALVADOR – (LAD AS LOVER)*
22 HERB – A double def. I think, though my Chambers doesn’t confirm it
24 IGUANID – D IN AUG 1 rev.
25/26 MICHAEL CAINE – (MECHANICAL + IE)*
27 HOSTELLER – OS + T in (Joseph) HELLER
1/21/4 THE LION THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE – (HENCE AT THIRTEEN WHO WITH OLD BARD)*
2 INSOLENT – SOLE in INN on [-stree]T
3 ASLAN – Hidden in 15D!
5 MERCER – M(ike) and C(harlie), both carrying ER (royalty)
6 JELLY BABY – Cryptic def.
7 VIEWER – 1 EWE in V,ER
8 BATS IN THE BELFRY – (IS BETTER BY HALF + N)*
17 ACOSMIST – M,IS in A COST
18/15 THE EAGLE HAS LANDED – (ALL DEATH’S HEAD GENE)* – Didn’t initially understand the link to Sir Michael at first, but a quick Wiki confirms it’s one of his films
20 STUDIO – Not sure on this, other than ‘love’ probably gives the O – “Workroom short couple love”
23 SCREW – S,CREW

8 Responses to “Independent 7,212/Tees”

1. IanN14 says:

Thanks Ali,
    Another quite difficult one.
    I think 20d. is Stu(art) and Di(ana) as a “short couple”.
    (If it is, I have to say it’s not one of Tees’s best…).

2. anax says:

20d. After a lot of headscratching I saw Ian’s interpretation. A bit naughty, but I think it’s actually rather good.

Highlight of this puzzle was, for me, LEOPARD – a really fantastic, up-to-the-minute clue. Otherwise a pretty tough solve with some tricky devices, but perhaps working the grid fill around the linked answers forced into place some tricky-to-clue ones where the usual Tees fireworks weren’t given free rein. All round, a most enjoyable solve.

22Ac HERB
    Mi seh aye. Some years ago, on holiday in Jamaica, my girlfriend and I were frequently pestered by shifty characters asking if we wanted some herb/ganja/grass.

3. mhl says:

Thanks for the post, Ali. I missed a couple here, but should have got one of them (ACOSMIST) from thinking about Tees’s adherence to easier clues for more obscure words  :) LEOPARD was indeed excellent, and I liked the neat clue for C S LEWIS as well. COURT BARON was the most difficult for me. Very enjoyable overall.

4. walruss says:

Where the Guardian can look unprofessional, the Independent will always be professional. Not a hair out of place in this one I think, and I would like to add BATS IN THE BELFRY to the list of very good entries. There was a Shakespeare one too for the rude mmechanicals?

5. anax says:

Walruss: You read my mind. While solving this I’d put a great big tick alongside BATS IN THE BELFRY – cracking use of anagram fodder.

6. Jimbo says:

Agreed with all, toughish but excellent one. 25/26A was the clue that cracked it for me. That then gave 18/15D, which gave 3D which gave the 1/21/4D. And I too liked 8D. A couple of unusual words too, but fairly clued thus gving you a chance. 14A was the one weakish one for my tastes.

7. ColinS says:

Re 14A I understood the wordplay but how does court baron (a manorial court) relate to husband?

8. nmsindy says:

I don’t have the puzzle anymore but, from memory, think that h = husband was being replaced in Charon so it was related to the wordplay ie nothing to do with the definition.