Independent 7213/Phi

Posted by John on November 27th, 2009

John.

As usual a pleasing efficient crossword from Phi. Not much to say really — it all fits together very well.

9 HER(M)ITAGE  — this museum
10 Y(E)ARN
11 ALGE(B)R{I}A
12 DATA SET — a in (stated)*
13 R {b}ATTY
14 SPE(AR(H)EA)D
16 CENTRE OF GRAVITY — v is the centre of “gravity”
19 LARCENIST — (clarinets)*
21 WI SER
22 FINE LEG — fine (gel)rev.
23 MA({camb}R{idge})IM BA
24 D(R)OWN
25 {s}UNDER MINE — “handbag” in this sense is a word that comes from Margaret Thatcher

1 THEATRICAL — (trail cheat)*
2 F(RIGHT)EN
3 NIMB(L)Y
4 GAG A{muse}
5 DEAD W EIGHT
6 HYSTERIA — (I stay her)*
7 HA(SS)LE
8 KNOT — 2 defs
14 S(MO KING G{irls})UN
15 DAYDREAMER — (ready)* in dame r
17 {waite}R IE SLING
18 INSOMNIA — CD
20 RAN DO M
21 W(A RC)RY
22 FAD E — which is a fanciful way of saying “fifth fad”, so perhaps a question mark?
23 M{annerist} ODE

7 Responses to “Independent 7213/Phi”

1. Helen Sarah says:

21 across. Could this also be read as WIS (West Indies aka Windies) + ER (TV series)?

2. nmsindy says:

I think it’s more likely what’s shown in the blog ie following dict abbreviations.
    Not a hard puzzle, esp liked the use of NIMBY in NIMBLY. Enjoyable.

3. Mick H says:

Yes, Nimby was nicely defined. I was less sure about UNDERMINE, which was the last one in for me. To define the Thatcher handbagging as ‘undermining’ is surely something of an understatement!

Thank you, John. I got UNDERMINE but I’m still not sure having read the blog how this works. If someone could spare 60 seconds of their Friday evening to enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Enjoyed the puzzle, for me it was a decent challenge.

5. nmsindy says:

part = sunder the writer’s = mine – tricky enough, it was my last entry

Thank you nms. I’m glad I had enough letters in to guess it!

7. Phi says:

From Chambers definitions of handbag

vt (inf) to attack, destroy, wreck, undermine (orig used of Margaret Thatcher).

I suppose ‘undermine’ is a bit bathetic in that list, but a not unreasonable usage when one looks back at what actually happened.