Independent/7,216 – Virgilius

Posted by Ali on December 1st, 2009

Ali.

Yet another example of why Virgilius really is the undisputed master of the themed daily. In puzzles such as this, you’ll often find that there are one or two obscure words in the down answers to allow for the thematic across entries (in this case, hidden fish). Not here though, it all fits together quite, ahem, BRILLiantly. Oh, and the clueing’s rather good too, though when is it ever not?!

8 DEFIBRILLATION – Cryptic def.
9 CRAYONED – (ANY DECOR)*
10 CRUDDY – C + RUDDY
11 REELED – REEL + ED(ition)
14 HIDDEN CATCHES – Double def. – Our theme. I got it after only 3 across entries, yet it took me most of the rest of the solve to get the CATCHES part of this answer!
18 BOGART – (GARBO)* + T
21 SPIKELET – (PETS LIKE)*
23 CLINGY – Hidden in cyCLING Yes
24 HOLDABLE – L + DAB in HOLE
25 SHAKESPEAREANS – (KANSAS ARE + SHEEP)* Ref. Charles and Mary Lamb, the bro and sis combo who wrote essays on WS
1 RETRENCH – RE: TRENCH
2 LILY POND – LILY (girl) + POND (mere)
3 FRINGE – RING in FE
4 GLAD – GLAD(ioli)
5 BACCARAT – CAB rev. + CAR + AT
6 MINUTE – Double def.
7 ON EDGE – Think this is just a variation on ‘the edge is on’, i.e. there’s a chance, but a bit unsure
12 TACKS – “Tax”
15 ENTRY FEE – Cryptic def.
16 HEEHAWED – HEED about H and AWE
19 SPELLING – Ref. WRITING, the middle of the 3 Rs!
20 OWLISH – (L WHO IS)*
22 I’LL SAY – ILL + SAY
24 HOPI – HOP + I (India in the phonetic alphabet)

17 Responses to “Independent/7,216 – Virgilius”

1. nmsindy says:

I think ON EDGE may refer to a cricket shot – an ‘edge’ to the on (leg) side.

Absolutely wonderful puzzle from the master yet again.

2. Duggie says:

It seems you’ve got to break the odd rule to get the comments flowing. (They’re still at their exploits this afternoon over in Indyland.)

This was indeed a wonderful puzzle, though I didn’t get ‘spelling’ or ‘Shakespeareans’ until I saw the decoding (sorry) here.

3. Quixote says:

That’s more like it!

Beautifully constructed puzzled now I see the theme (thanks, Ali). Couldn’t get SHAKESPEAREANS and struggled with the SE corner, but very enjoyable. And nms is right: an on side edge in cricket would be caught at leg slip. How do overseas solvers ever get that kind of stuff? By playing cricket, I suppose.

5. Mick H says:

No carping about this – I floundered for a bit, but once I’d decoded 1ac it was a piece of hake!

6. RayFolwell says:

Very enjoyable though I didn’t manage to finish this.
    You’ve missed 11A INSOLENT (In Solent), REELED was 13A

7. IanN14 says:

I d”id” this even”tuna”lly, and thought it was, as usual, excellent.
    Unlike today’s “Gar”dian, which gave me a haddock…

…sorry.

IanN14, we’re having our village pantomime shortly. With talent like that, I’m going to engage you to write some rubbish jokes for it. There’s no plaice for comments like the one you’ve just contributed…

9. IanN14 says:

Kathryn’s Dad,
    …I’m here all week,
    Try the v”eel”…

10. nmsindy says:

An incom’parr’able puzzle, say I, without fear of rep’roach’.

11. eimi says:

Song of the day? How about Sole Man, by Salmon Dave?

12. eimi says:

… and the comments on this part of fifteensquared don’t appear as fishy as elsewhere

13. anax says:

Has the Indie ever haddock compiler more talented?

14. anax says:

Just as an as”ide”, Eimi, I was recording the bass guitar line for Soul Man last night!

15. Wil Ransome says:

There’s no plaice for this sort of thing on FifteenSquared

16. uncle yap says:

Indeed a tour de force. Brave Virgilius ! You perch high and should be brisling with pike

Thank you Ali for an equally delightful blog

17. Allan_C says: