Independent 7,223 by Dac

Posted by Simon Harris on December 9th, 2009

Simon Harris.

I found this mostly quite straightforward, with lots of double definitions and simple charades. Still the final four took about as long as the rest put together.

1 FIVE TO – F + I + VETO.
4 SPATLESE – LES in PATÉS*. A potentially troublesome one, but several student years behind the counter at Victoria Wine served me well here!
9 ALLIER – dd/cd. Had to guess this one, but a quick check of the atlas confirms this to be an area – and river – in the Auvergne.
10 AIRSPACE – AIRS PACE.
12 TRATTORIA – TART< + hom. of "tory" + A.
13 MIDGE – (EG + DIM)<.
14 SPREADSHEETS – dd.
18 REGIME CHANGE – REGIME is EMIGRE*. Nice reverse cryptic.
21 CHINA – [ma]CHINA[tions].
22 GIN PALACE – IN in (G + PAL + ACE).
24 ROUNDS ON – ROUND SON.
25 MAKE DO – dd.
26 RETIRING – RE-TIRING.
27 WREATH – hom. of “Reith“.
1 FLATTISH – LATT[e] in FISH.
2 VOLTAIRE – TA in OLIVER*.
3 TREAT – dd.
5 PRIVATE MEANS – PRIVATE + MEANS.
6 TEST MATCH – TEST + MATCH.
7 ELANDSE. LANDS.
8 ELEVEN – [hot]EL EVEN[tually].
11 DRESSING DOWN – dd.
15 ALEXANDER – dd.
16 IN CAMERA – AMERICAN*.
17 BEHEMOTH – BE + HE + MOTH.
19 SCORER – dd.
20 PIQUETP + QUIET*.
23 ADAIR – hom. of “a dare”. Paul “Red” Adair, legendary firefighter.

6 Responses to “Independent 7,223 by Dac”

1. Peter says:

Good one this – like you, Simon, I found it a bit more difficult to finish off than usual for Dac.

18ac is a great clue

2. walruss says:

Loved 18 across! What a lovely and straightforward puzzle, enjoyed throrughly.

3. nmsindy says:

Great puzzle, as ever, from Dac. This one I found was on the easy side. Top marks from me too for REGIME CHANGE.

4. Ali says:

Yep, great stuff as ever from Dac. Had to guess at SPATLESE, but seemed the most obvious answer from the letters I had.

Loved 18A too!

Thanks, Simon. Like you, got off to a good start but found the last half dozen or so more tricky. But a very enjoyable puzzle – and yes, 18ac is very clever now I see what’s going on.

6. Mick H says:

I liked REGIME CHANGE too. Though a reverse cryptic, surely this is a good example of why there’s nothing wrong in principle with nouns as anagram indicators.