Independent 7,220 by Bannsider (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 5/12/09)

Posted by Simon Harris on December 11th, 2009

Simon Harris.

This was certainly a fair bit tougher than Bannsider’s other recent Saturday puzzle. I quite quickly moved from trying to solve this unaided to treating it much as I would a barred weekend crossword and leaning heavily on Chambers et al.

1 APOPLECTIC – POP in (ALEC + TIC[k]). Alec Guinness, of course.
7 WI-FI – WIF[e] + I.
9 JINGLING JOHNNY – J[apan] + [t]INGLING + JOHNNY (Cash). A completely unfamiliar term, I must admit.
10 SCRAPE – dd.
11 PASSBACK – (ASS + B[east]) in PACK.
13 SHAH – SH + A[nd] + H[um].
14 CARE WORKER – (ARE + W) in CORKER.
16 GRAPE SUGAR – G + RAP + E + (Alan) SUGAR.
18 WEPT – [t]W[o] E[x]P[a]T[s].
19 DYE-WORKS – YEW in DORKS.
21 SHOFAR – “so far” as perhaps pronounced by someone slightly the worse for wear.
22 WHAT’S EATING YOU? – (GOT UNEASY WITH A)*. I wasn’t sure why this was a “subsequent” question, but I might simply be splitting hairs.
23 BOSS – B.O.’S S. “Pen and ink” being cockney for “stink”, and thus “Stink from a person” being B.O.
24 STEPHEN FRY – F in (STEP + (Lenny) HENRY).
2 PRINCE HARRY – (N in PRICE) + HARRY.
3 PUGWASH – PUG + WASH.
4 EMINENCES GRISES – couldn’t follow the wordplay here, although I guess CRISES comes into it.
5 TOG UP – reverse cryptic. “Got” is TOG<.
6 CROSS SWORDS WITH – (S in CROSSWORD) + SWITH[in].
7 WINE BAR – (A BREW IN)*.
8 FLY – dd.
12 CHEAP LABOUR – cd.
15 REG – RE + G[i][rl].
17 PAWPAWS – PAW + SWAP<.
18 WRONG ‘UN – W + RON + GUN.
20 SLADE – hom. of “sleighed” and a pleasingly misleading reference to Noddy Holder.
22 WOO – WOO[d].

6 Responses to “Independent 7,220 by Bannsider (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 5/12/09)”

1. nmsindy says:

4 down is, I think, (ShellS IN EMERGENCIES)* Agree this was a very tough puzzle, some great clues, eg SLADE, CROSS SWORDS WITH, DYE-WORKS etc etc.

2. Allan_C says:

Thanks for the explanation of 23a. I thought it had to be ‘boss’ but couldn’t see why.

3d – excellent clue, but one for aficionados of children’s TV of yesteryear!

3. Peter Biddlecombe says:

I found this a tiny bit harder than the last Bannsider, but was solving without books. Helped by knowing “jingling johnny” and remembering the captain – I guess references like this are generation-specific but I like to see stuff like this mixed in with the higher-brow material. I guess the same goes for Noddy Holder, though we do get to hear him every Christmas.

4. bill says:

New to this ,found it incredibly difficult
    Got about 5 clues.Hopefully will get better!

5. Simon Harris says:

Funnily enough, I tackled this one at lunchtime without realising I’d once blogged it.

Struggled on much the same clues as five years ago, suggesting I haven’t learned a great deal in the interim.

6. Cornick says:

bill, Thursdays and Fridays in the i are reserved for the biggest challenges, and rest assured this is as hard as they come! Monday, Wednesday and Saturday nearly always set by the same three setters, so easy to get used to. Tuesday has many people’s favourite, Virgilius, or someone similarly offering a theme/ Nina.