Azed 1958/are there any Welsh footballers?

Posted by ilancaron on December 13th, 2009

ilancaron.

Surprisingly fast solve for me — I spent less than an hour before breakfast doing this with a bit of help from the Usual Suspects. Until I came to a crashing halt with our Welsh footballer.

1 OPISTHOGRAPH - p in (photo, garish)* – “manuscript or slab inscribed on the back as well as the front”
10 SANE=”Seine” – first sound is definition, second is the homophone indicator.
11 HAFF - hidden
12 OPAH - a common crossword fish. Alternate letters of: “no splash”
13 CLOSE - compound anagram: (Lovers cease)* = (as ever CLOSE=thus)*
14 CUPPA - reverse hidden. Not my cup of tea but a very Brit kind of drink.
16 AM(BER GAM[o])BLER – Bergamo’s our town in Lombardy. And now I know what the name is for what I like to do when I’m in a hurry.
18 TI(L)ER,Y – maybe that’s what they call factories in Delft that make tile.
19 DER(IS,O)RY – DERRY is a feeling of dislike or resentment in Oz.
23 E(GESTIV)E – (GI vets)* in EE.
26 NO(TAT)E – TAT in rev(eon)
29 GROUND-CUCKOO – straightforward charade
30 S,ARGO – another popular crossword fish.
31 THOLI – ([e]olith)* – Mycenaean tombs presumably.
32 STIE – another compound anagram: (rung, this=STIE)* = (gets ruin)* – and somewhere deep in Chambers a STIE is an archaic ladder.
33 ALE,C – ref. ALEC Guinness
34 ICED – take dice and move first letter to the end.
35 CHARGE-SHEETS – SH in (e.g. teachers)*

2 PALM,IE - Dominie is a Scots master and PALMIE is a Scots corporal punishment kind of thing administered presumably at school by him (probably not her). And PALM is a prize (e.g. Palme d’Or)
3 SESELI – hidden. It’s kind a flower.
4 T(H)ERM
5 HANGDOG – it’s the competition word (meaning no wordplay supplied). Your clue?
6 OF,WAT – lots of Brit regulatory bodies — this one deals with water. Ref. e.g. Angkor WAT
7 [t]ROUBLE
8 APPL[y],E-P[icer]IE – Epicerie’s our foreign grocery
9 P(APE)RY
10 SCAL(DING)S – DING in class* – it’s an archaic warning, thus “Cave!”
15 ARYTENOID - (tiny ear do)* – pitcher-shaped: so I guess the definition is “suggesting big ears, only little”.
17 P(RE,TORI)A – TORI are mouldings and I suppose PRETORIA is both a provincial capital as well as a national capital.
20 REACHES - hidden
21 ?OR,AT,H – mystery Welsh footballer or something else entirely: “Welsh footballer, Rovers star turning up at hospital”
22 GAU,GER – “a person who works in excise”. GAU is old German (and Nazi) district.
24 TECHIE - (the ice)*
25 V(I)OLET – two definitions + wordplay: first is “girl”, second is “last in colour range” and VOLET is a historical veil. (ref. ROYGBIV)
27 EDILE -a bit confusing at first: but EDILE=aedile (Roman magistrate) and it’s also rev(elide=cut off).
28 BUT,CH – CH. = abbrev(chart) and it’s a short haircut.

17 Responses to “Azed 1958/are there any Welsh footballers?”

1. PaulD says:

Terry Yorath – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Yorath and Roy of The Rovers.

2. Andrew Kitching says:

Yorath, Gabby’s Dad. Higgs, Toshack, Rush and John Charles are the other welsh players I know of

3. Colin Blackburn says:

Vinnie Jones opted to play for Wales, though his Welshness was limited to having a Welsh-born maternal grandmother. (He’d have never made the England selection.)

4. nmsindy says:

As deep into the game, solved YORATH straightaway, but did wonder if people would struggle, like Ilan has, not least as his career was quite a bit in the past. Like Ilan, I found the puzzle very easy for Azed though I nearly slipped with ‘safe’ for 10 across till seeing the homophone. The pitcher item which was all new to me is fully explained in Chambers under ‘pitcher’.

5. The Trafites says:

Ha! I got (Terry) Yorath pretty easily, but convinced myself that ‘Roy’ (reversed + AT + H) was some person in the Coronation Street boozer ‘the Rovers’… oh dear, I must be getting old!

It was a difficult competition word to clue too, so I expect no mention in dispatches again for me.

Nick

6. David Mansell says:

Ryan Higgs??

7. David Mansell says:

Of course, in the current football scene Mark Hughes, Craig Bellamy and Aaron Ramsey (the young Arsenal star) are well-known players for Wales.

8. nmsindy says:

Maybe Azed included the Welsh football reference in this puzzle as 1958 was the last time Wales qualified for the final stages of a major football tournament (World Cup in Sweden)…

9. liz says:

Thanks, ilancaron. I made quite good progress with this on the day, then got a bit stumped by the last few — about four clues with a letter missing in each. Eventually managed to fill the holes yesterday when I looked at the puzzle again. YORATH was the last one I got –when I finally twigged the ‘Roy of the Rovers’ allusion.

Thanks, Ilancaron

Not surprised to hear that this was an easier one [I'm still an Azed novice] since I amazed myself by managing to finish all but 10ac [being too pernickety with homophones, as usual! :-)]

I’m not up on Welsh [Association] footballers but I did know [of] Roy of the Rovers, which helped greatly.

11. liz says:

Eileen — I’m with you on 10ac. This was one of the last clues I got and it isn’t how I pronounce SEINE.

12. nmsindy says:

Re comments 10 and 11, homophones can be tricky not least when a foreign language is also involved. The French would not pronounce it as ‘sane’ but I think (some, maybe most) English speakers would and it is a crossword in English. I’d no doubts when I finally twigged it.

Quite right, nmsindy, and it was really just a weak excuse for not having got it.

[I'm so unused to responding to Azed threads that I forgot I wasn't in Guardian mode, where my comments re pseudohomophones are tediously frequent. Apologies. :-) ]

14. Bannsider says:

Actually, nmsindy, don’t forget Wales made the quarter final stages of the 1976 European Championships, in the days before the current format. Intriguing idea though about 1958!

15. mhl says:

Eileen: I’m also a bit irritated by 10 across – my partner suggested SANE with the correct reasoning, but I was unconvinced because I didn’t think the homophone worked. I didn’t come up with anything good for the competition anyway, so I suppose it doesn’t matter :)

16. nmsindy says:

Re comment 14, so did the Republic of Ireland in 1964, but no one talks about that ‘cos it’s not the same as getting to the final stages held in one country (only four teams in those days). Maybe Azed had an inkling also of the BBC Sports Personality 2009 being a football person from that very country…

17. ilancaron says:

I feel I owe an apology to all Welsh footballers who are also cryptic crossword setters or solvers.