Everyman No. 3297 (December 6th)

Posted by The Trafites on December 13th, 2009

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Fairly easy this week again, just love doing Everyman; I cannot wait for Sundays to arrive. Thank you Everyman.

Nick:  6dn is interesting; ‘The Lord of the Flies novelist?‘- Collins defines ‘Lord of the Flies’ as Beelzebub, and ‘DICKENS‘ is a euphemistic word for the ‘Devil’.

Legend to solution comments:
*  =  anagram.
<  =  word reversed.

1. LIGHT-HEADED cd
9. BLIND DATE BLIND + DATE
10. MIMIC MIMI + C
11. ADDISON IS in ADD ON
12. AUSTERE (TEA USER)*
13. DISMAL D + M in (SAIL)*
14, 17. LOVE LIES BLEEDING LOVELIES + BLEEDING
18. AT THAT ATT + HeAT
21. TEACHER ACHE in TER(m)
23. UNMOVED UN + MOVED
24. HAD ON H + A DON
25. PRONOUNCE PRONOUN + CE
26. REMONSTRATE RE + MONS + T + RATE
1. LADYS MAID (DAY + [13ac]DISMAL)*
2. GRANNY N in (ANGRY)*
3. TREMADOC (DEMOCRAT)*
4. EMMYS dd
5. DAME EDITH EVANS (HEAVIEST DEMAND)*
6. DICKENS cd
7. ABOARD A + BOARD
8. NIL DESPERANDOM (SPLENDID MANURE)*
15. EXTEMPORE EX + ([E + MP] in TORE)
16. ENTREPOT (ONE + PRETTy)*
17. BUTCHER CH in (BRUTE)*
19. TIDIER DI in TIER
20. CUPOLA CU + (A LOP)<
22. HENIN H + (NINE)<

7 Responses to “Everyman No. 3297 (December 6th)”

1. bamberger says:

There is a group of us who occupy (waste?) our lunchtimes doing crytics. We usually do the Telegraph or Guardian with occasional forays into the Indie, FT or Times (whenever we pick the Times, we invariably stumble on the hardest of the week and struggle to get more than 5 or 6 out). Usually we get about 80% out before we give in -so we aren’t the best in the world. . We had been told that Everyman was a good confidence booster so we duly tried it last Monday. Well we found it hard -tremadoc ,extempore, cupola , henin, addison and dickens just wouldn’t come. Maybe we had an off day or maybe it was harder than we had been told.

2. Andrew Kitching says:

I thought harder than usual. Since moving to AZED, I have lost my understanding of ‘Everyman’s’ wavelength.

3. The Trafites says:

Bamberger, stick with Everyman and trust me it will get easier. I find that the cluing is pretty tight and fair. The solutions are easily worked out.

Lorraine.
    P.S. I hope I have spelt cluing right?

Bamberger, just to underline what Lorraine has said – stick with this one. It’s how I really got back into cryptics a year or so ago and being able to solve, or mostly solve it every week is a big confidence booster. There’ll be weeks with one or two obscure clues, but usually they are pretty well signposted.

As the saying goes, the more you practise, the better you get. Keep on enjoying it!

5. sidey says:

I am feeling thick, anyone like to explain Dickens please.

And Bamberger, do persevere.

6. The Trafites says:

Sidey,

Read Nick’s comment at the top of our blog re Dickens.

Lorraine.

7. sidey says:

Thanks, that’ll teach me to be more careful scrolling ;)