Independent 7235 by Dac

Posted by nmsindy on December 23rd, 2009

nmsindy.

A puzzle which I found a mixture of very easy and quite difficult clues, solving time 30 mins.   Great stuff as always from Dac.

* = anagram  < = reversed

ACROSS

1 RESIGNED     Good double definition

5 GAMBIT    Hidden

10 DO A ROARING TRADE    Cryptic definition

11 S (TROP)PY    port (left)<

12 EM (PER) OR     rep in Rome all<       rep = reputation informally,  Collins confirms

13 BAR RACKS

15 YA (RN) S    say<

18 I S (first letters) SUE   (EU’s)<

20 CATARACT   Double definition

23 TOPICAL    (coal pit)*

25 MANIPLE    Double definition   (ornamental band and also group of 120 Roman soldiers)

26 GARDEN FURNITURE  (ruined turf – anger)*     Not much in use today, in this part of the world anyway.

27 TANNER    Double definition – sixpence in pre-decimal money

28 TH (mUGGER)Y

DOWN

1 R A DISH

2 ST AIRWAYS     st = statute is in Collins

3 GROUPER    Type of fish- pun on ‘sole’

4 (n)EARLY

6 AUTOPSY    (pays out)*

7 B L A IR

8 THEORIST    (tore this)*

9 UNDERSET    An ocean undercurret and set of underwear (cryptically)

14 COCK L OFT

15 R (EC) APTURE

17 S (IT T) IGHT

19 EX-CRETE

21 (Ian) RANKIN G       Scottish crime writer (Inspector Rebus)- this was my favourite clue

22 JERE(z)  (Spanish town famous for sherry) MY

24 PER(s)ON      Argentine leader

25 MARCH    The month of March having a few weeks

10 Responses to “Independent 7235 by Dac”

1. Conrad Cork says:

I think we should wish Dac a seriously Cool Yule as a reward for the splendid work he turns out week after week.

2. IanN14 says:

I think it was Ali who said last week that Dac is probably the best clue-for-clue setter around.
    I think I’d have to agree with that…
    Not difficult, but very tidy.

Now I’m getting to know the setters’ styles and idiosyncrasies better, I’m finding I can usually manage a Dac, and nearly did so today, failing on UNDERSET and having to Google for MANIPLE. All I’d say about the latter is that in a dd when both the definitions are quite obscure, unless you’ve come across the word before (probably in a crossword) then you’re pretty much banjaxed. And I have been following the discussion on ‘one person’s obscure is another person’s commonplace’, but still …

A small niggle, though – Dac provided me with a very enjoyable hour or so this morning waiting for the temperature to rise to freezing so I could go and do battle in the local supermarket.

If it’s not too off-topic, why are there usually so many fewer contributions for the Indie blog than for the Grauniad? Is it just a reflection of their relative circulations or are Grauniad readers by nature more garrulous?

4. Ali says:

It was indeed me Ian, and there ain’t anything in this puzzle
    that will make me change my mind! Top drawer stuff as ever, though I was beaten by underset, maniple and Jeremy

5. dac says:

Thanks, Conrad, for your kind seasonal sentiments. Christmas greetings to the bloggers and contributors whose comments I read and appreciate week after week.

6. nmsindy says:

Happily reciprocated from here, and as well to all the Indy setters who have given us great puzzles over 2009. To my fellow bloggers and all commenters too.

7. Allan_C says:

My only small niggle is that I didn’t know that Maniple could be an ornamental band and hence couldn’t see that the clue was cryptic – it seemed to be virtually a straight definition.

But as others have already said – Merry Christmas to all!

8. Bill says:

Completed about half.To finish in 30 mins impossible for me.Maybe next Christmas I might.Having said that got underset and Jeremy.Loved 14d and 10a!

9. Teresa says:

Very enjoyable. Thankyou, Dac, yet again.

10. nmsindy says:

I would not worry about solving times, Bill at #8. When starting to blog, I put them in following the example of Peter Biddlecombe’s Times for the Times blog which was, I think, the very first. I sometimes regretted this later but when I mentioned it to people, they generally asked me to continue giving them. Time is not in fact important – what matters IMHO is whether you enjoyed the puzzle. My solving times would have been reasonably quick with practice over years (decades) while being nowhere near what those engaged in competitive solving, e.g. the Times Championship, would do.