Independent 7248 by Phi

Posted by NealH on January 8th, 2010

NealH.

This seemed much more difficult than the usual Phi and some of the definitions were like the sort of left field thing you’d expect from Nimrod.

5 Cork: C or K.
6 Shoelace: I’m probably not appreciating the full subtlety of this one, but it seems like a rather weak CD.
8 Amundsen: (Man dunes)*. Not sure about the definition: Roald Amundsen was an Antarctic explorer, so is it some reference to ice dunes or is it just that the desert is the opposite of the Antarctic ? Seems a slightly odd, unPhi-like definition.
10 Gstaad: G + TA in sad. This was a tough one unless you’re heavily into skiing.
11 Absolute zero: (Zeal booster)* around u[pturn].
13 Cohort: Co + ht around OR.
15 Tackle: Tack + le[ft]. I think the def must be “try to eat”, so I suppose it’s in the sense of “I’m going to tackle this dessert”.
16 Annihilation: An + nation around hil[t].
20 Bottom: (Motto + b)<.
21 Rashomon: Rash + moon*. This film.
22 Bulletin: Bull + ET + in.
23 Doss: Do + s[eem]s.
1 Pronto: Proo[f] around NT (National Trust).
2 Change: CE around hang.
3 League Tables: (Get a ball use [to]e)*.
4 Part work: P + artwork. I’m not particularly familiar with the phrase, so I struggled to get this.
5 Comeback: Me + BA in cock.
7 Elan: I think this is lane with the E moved to the top.
9 Square number: Square (= suitable) + number (=anaesthetic). The def seems to be “suitably placed ?”, so I can only assume that it’s referring to the clue number 9, which is 3 squared.
12 Venomous: V + eno[r]mous.
14 Heartily: Earthily with the h moved.
17 Hermit: Don’t entirely follow this. Def is obviously religious fanatic, but not sure about “most of widow’s donation”.
18 Thoron: Thorn about O. Thoron is an isotope of radon and is produced as part of the radioactive decay of other elements.
19 Comb: Cob around m.

14 Responses to “Independent 7248 by Phi”

1. sidey says:

Hermit is her mit(e), ref the widow’s mite.

Shoelace, boot = shoe, holes = lace (the fabric) making an &lit I think.

2. IanN14 says:

Hello Neal,
    Yes, I thought this was a strange one…
    I thought, because of the very strange grid, and so few clues, that there must be a hidden theme or nina, but I can’t spot one.
    6ac is an anagram of holes (“booted”?) + ace.
    17d. Sorry, can’t help here. Anyone?

3. sidey says:

Amundsen could be an oblique reference to Monty Python’s Scot of the Sahara, 10 mins if you’ve the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVc0EZl3AfU

4. anax says:

AMUNDSEN
    I thought this was rather good. “Man involved with dunes” produces the anag/fodder and “Not exactly!” points to the answer being a man who was involved with anything but dunes. It gets my vote!

SHOELACE
    Ian got there before me. “Boot” is the instruction to rearrange HOLES + ACE (one) – that’s just a bit brilliant.

5. beermagnet says:

17D “Most of Widow’s donation” is HER MIT[e] and refers to the New Testament story of the Widow who gave all she had, two “mites”. A mite is a tiny copper coin of the time.
    So, now a “Widow’s mite” is something very small.

6. nmsindy says:

Very tough puzzle, I too suspected a Nina from the shape of the grid and Phi has had very subtle ones in the past! Favourite clue SHOELACE, closely followed by AMUNDSEN (which I think is just the polar explorer contrasted with the hot desert as someone mentioned above) and HERMIT. I also think you are right about ELAN and TACKLE.

7. jmac says:

Re 15 across, I took “tack” to be military slang for food, as in “hard tack”, a dry biscuit.

8. NealH says:

Yes, that was what I thought, although I don’t think it can have a verb form, so the definition must be “try to eat” rather than just try.

9. Mick H says:

I’m going to be really pedantic now. Surely boots have bootlaces – shoelaces should be put on shoes. If you use shoelaces on boots, they’ll be too short.
    I think TACKLE’ fine for ‘try to eat’ though, and AMUNDSEN works for me too.

10. Simon Harris says:

I’ll also admit to finding this tough. I think the grid didn’t help, with a relatively high proportion of unchecked squares. Some great clues though.

Still squinting at it, vainly looking a message to emerge…

Yes, an odd grid today indeed. I thought 6ac was clever and liked AMUNDSEN as well. But I failed on PART WORK; although it is indeed in Collins I had never come across the term before.

I wasn’t head over heels in love with 9dn. Square = suitable? It could just be me, but how does that work?

12. Simon Harris says:

Hi KD – I think that 9dn is deemed a “suitable” place for SQUARE NUMBER, since 9 is itself a square number.

13. IanN14 says:

Simon,
    I think that’s understood, but suitable in the clue also has to define square, which, K’sD, it does in Chambers.
    (I know, I didn’t realise either…).

Thanks, both. I rest my case. Cupid’s arrow has still not hit the spot about that one.