Everyman 3301 (3rd January 2010).

Posted by The Trafites on January 10th, 2010

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Another nice easy plod this week with plenty of anagrams which I enjoy doing. Comments would be welcome on 11 across as I could not think of what else it could possibly be.

Legend to solution comments:
*  =  anagram.
<  =  word reversed.

1. SANCHO-PEDRO (NO HOPE + CARDS)*
7. SHOTGUN c.d.
8. NONSTOP N + ON + ST + OP
10. CHEW THE FAT (THAT CHEF WE)*
11. FIVE SIDE
?; I am not to sure on this clue; full clue: ‘English TV channel‘;  grid entry = _I_E See comment no. 3
13. NOTCH C in NO(r)TH
14. SEPULCHRE L in (CHEERS UP)*
15. CLEARANCE d.d.
17. MY HAT (A MYTH)*
19. ACHE ACE around H
20. ASTRONOMER (STAR MOON with ER)*
23. SUCCOUR homophone SUCKER
24. EMIGRES (SEE GRIM)*
25. LET OFF STEAM LET OFF + (S + TEAM)
1. SOONEST (NOSE)* in SOT
2. NIGHTSHIRT (THING TRISH)*
3. HENCE hidden: strengtHEN CEiling
4. PINEAPPLE (PIE PEN PAL)*
5. DONE D + ONE
6. OSTRICH (SORT)* + I + CH
7. SECOND-CLASS cd.
9. PRESENT ARMS PRESENT + ARMS
12. CLEMENTINE CLEMENT + (IE around N)
14. SANS SERIF S + ANS’S + (FIRE)<
16. ETHICAL (CHALET I)*
18. HUMDRUM HUM + DRUM; drum is slang for a house
21. REEDS homophone of READS
22. LOOT sort of d.d.; a Joe Orton play is called loot

9 Responses to “Everyman 3301 (3rd January 2010).”

1. Andrew Kitching says:

I thought 11a was SIDE as in football side and change side, but you may be right

2. Simon says:

I went with FIVE as well but not entirely sure why!

3. Everyman says:

11 Across
    SIDE – two mngs
    a) American usage of English, meaning spin (side) imparted on a snooker/pool ball
    b) TV channel, as in “what side are you watching?”

4. Andrew Kitching says:

Thanks Everyman. Nice, as always, to get setter feedback.

5. The Trafites says:

Thanks to everyone for your comments, Nick and I were torn between side and five and eventually plumped for five.
    Nick: Doh! I didn’t think to look up English in Chambers, I just used Bradford’s which doesn’t have ‘side’ listed under the English entry ~ it does now though, in pencil :)

6. The Trafites says:

Double Doh! Bradford’s does list ‘side’ under ‘English’ – I do not know how I missed that! :(

7. Paul B says:

I understand TV channel = side, but North American billiards terminology? You are all forgiven, shurely.

8. cholecyst says:

Re 11ac. “Side” meaning spin imparted to a snooker/billiard ball is perfectly good UK English too.

9. walruss says:

It is, but ‘English’ isn’t used in UK at all for side, so I would guess not many solvers understood it. It doesn’t matter what the dictionary says.