Financial Times 13,282 / Aardvark

Posted by Gaufrid on January 13th, 2010

Gaufrid.

Tricky in places today, particularly the SE corner where there was a less than familiar answer (19dn) and part of the wordplay (idle in 20dn). Fortunately I knew the latter but both answers were obtainable from the wordplay and checked letters.

I was not particularly happy with the anagram indicator in 4dn, though I can see how it might work, but otherwise the cluing was sound, if at times misleading (not a bad thing). I rather liked the use of ‘preferring’ in 7dn to indicate that SKI came at the beginning of the word.

1 CAPE TOWN CA (accountant) PET (dearest) *(NOW)
5 LAPS UP PAL (friend) reversed [cat]SUP
10 CORDIAL dd
11 ANGLING ANGL[e] (six lacking energy) IN G (German)
12 OXLIP P (power) I[nterest] LX (60) O (circle) reversed
13 ELEMENTAL EL (the European) MEN (staff) in LATE reversed
14 HEADMISTRESS [labou]R E[ducation] S[ystem] in *(SHE ADMITS) &lit
18 PALAEOLITHIC I (Italy) in *(CAPELLO HIT A)
21 MORECAMBE *(CREAM) in MOB (crowd) E[splanade]
23 OMAHA AM (before noon) in HO (house) reversed A
24 INCISOR IN *([f]RO[l]ICS)
25 ORIGAMI I (single) MA (mum) GIRO (dole payment) reversed
26 GULLET TELL (William, in legend) [s]U[n]G reversed
27 ADHESION *(HEAD) SION (reactionary governors)

1 COCOON C (cold) OO (ducks) in CON (fleece)
2 PAROLE [b]R[eakfast] [f]O[od] in PALE (colourless)
3 TAILPIECE homophone of ‘tale’ (story) ‘peace’ (relaxation)
4 WALTER DE LA MARE L (left) in WATER (sea) *(ALARMED) E (bearing) – ‘suddenly’ as an anagram indicator? – ‘sudden’ as in ‘improvised’ possibly
6 ANGLE [d]ANGLE[d] (hung loosely, topped and tailed)
7 SKITTLES SKI (Alpine transport) TT ([Isle of] Man races) LES (the French)
8 PUGILIST I (no. 1) in PUGLI[a] (Italian region loses a) ST (stone)
9 BABES IN THE WOOD BABE (beauty) *(HOW ITS DONE)
15 TRILOBITE OB (old pupil) I (first) in *(LITTER)
16 SPAMMING MM (masses) in SPAIN (country) G[arden]
17 CLERICAL C (Conservative) ERICA (heather) in LL (50s)
19 WASABI AS (like) AB (salt) in WI (Caribbean) – a pungent green paste used in Japanese cookery
20 MALIGN LIG (idle) in MAN (chap)
22 CASTE homophone of ‘cast’ (actors)

8 Responses to “Financial Times 13,282 / Aardvark”

Thanks, Gaufrid

I thought to have ANGLE and ANGLING, both in the same sense – and crossing! – was rather weak.

However, I liked the reference in 24ac to Gnasher, Dennis the Menace’s dog in the Beano comic!

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi Eileen
    I had the same reservation and intended to mention it but I was interrupted whilst writing the preamble and forgot.

3. Mike04 says:

Thanks very much for your blog, Gaufrid

I stumbled at the last hurdle in the SE corner: WASABI
    I was held back too by 27ac. For ‘sticking together’, there seemed to be too many possible ways of completing ADHE—-!

I particularly liked the surface reading in 25ac.

4. benington says:

Thanks Gaufrid.

Still stumped by how angle = six.

5. smiffy says:

The “six” in 11A is a cross reference to the answer at 6D!
    There doesn’t appear to be any consistent protocol between setters (or editors), as to whether such indicators should be or textual or numeric. Personally, I think that only the numeric form is justifiable; after all, the clues themselves are always labelled with numbers rather than words.

6. benington says:

Ah! The penny drops.

Thanks smiffy.

7. Ian W. says:

Sorry, but why is SION reactionary governors?

8. Gaufrid says:

Ian W
    Sorry, I should have explained that – NO 1S reversed.