Posted by Pete Maclean on January 21st, 2010
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of January 9
I needed a bit of dictionary and Google help to finish this puzzle. And I did not get 20D. I especially like 23A and 15D.
1. VERBALLY – BALL (party) in VERY (really)
5. SCAMPI – SCAM (fiddle) + PI (good, as in pious)
10. PARLOUR – PAR (what’s expected) + LOUR (appear angry)
11. NUMERAL – NUM (miners, as in their union) + ARE backwards + L (50)
12. UTTER – [n]UTTER (idiot, from 22D)
13. EDUCATION – anagram of CAUTIONED
14. UP ONES SLEEVE – double definition
18. THOMAS EDISON – anagram of HE ADMITS SOON
21. BADMINTON – BAD (poor) + MINT (perfect) + ON (cricket side)
23. ARISE – I (one) in ARSE (bottom)
24. OPINION – O (nothing) + PINION (restrict)
25. BRIDGET – BRIDGE (card game) + [defea]T
26. NINETY – IN (in) + ET (film) in NY (state)
27. SEWERAGE – EWER (vessel) in SAGE (wise)
1. VAPOUR – VA (state, Virginia) + POUR (flow)
2. RARITY – RIT (musical term, short for ritardando) in RAY (bit of sunshine). I had to look up “rit”.
3. APROCRYPHA – anagram of PAPACY OR [churc]H
4. LARGE INTESTINE – anagram of RETAINING STEEL
6. COMMA – double/cryptic definition. I saw a very similar clue for COMMA not long ago.
7. MARTINET – TEN (number) + I (one) + TRAM (car) all backwards
8. ISLANDER – I (upright character) + SLANDER (offence). I like “upright character”.
9. UNQUESTIONABLE – double/cryptic definition
15. LOOKALIKE – LOO (can) + KALI (terrifying goddess) + KE[ep]
16. STUBBORN – STUB (end) + BORN (delivered)
17. ROAD SIGN – anagram of DRAGON IS
19. VIAGRA – VIA (going through) + GRA[…] (elderly relative shortly)
20. ?E?T?E – “on the boil” makes me think KETTLE. But what have kettles got to do with Ely? Ely cathedral is one of my favourites but that does not help either. (See comments below.)
22. IDIOT – IDI (dictator) + OT (religious texts)