Financial Times 13,290 / Gozo

Posted by shuchi on January 22nd, 2010

shuchi.

Straightforward stuff today, with a mini-theme of furniture. Many cryptic and double definitions but none that truly sparkled. 20d stood out for its cleverly positioned hyphen at line-break.

1 SCHOOL cd
4 AGAR-AGAR A RAG (newspaper) reversed, twice. The surface doesn’t make much sense.
10 ESPARTO (SEAPORT)*
11 RECITAL (ARTICLE)*
12 ABLE CAPABLE – CAP
13 REFERENCES dd
16 ORWELL OR WELL (source of gold)
17 PINTAIL PINTA (bottle of milk. This had me puzzled, Wikipedia tells me that this is a way of spelling ‘pint of’, as in ‘a pinta milk a day’) I L (left).
20 NIRVANA VAN (vehicle) in (RAIN)*. The definition needs at least a capitalized ‘State’ to be sufficient, but I like how the neatly split ‘rain-storm’ quells any objections that ‘rainstorm’ might have raised.
21 GOSPEL EPs (records) in LOG (chart), all reversed
24 GREENHOUSE GROUSE (complain), around E (earth) and (HEN)*
25 SNUB (BUNS)<
27 INSULIN INSUL[ar] (not wholly prejudiced) IN (because of). // Update: Thanks, Gaufrid.
29 ALI BABA sounds like ‘alley barber’
30 MINISTER I in MINSTER (church) &lit. // Update: Anno. changed. Thanks, Rishi.
31 FLEECE FLEE (run away) CE (church)

1 SHERATON (NORTH SEA)*
2 HEPPLEWHITE (HELP WIPE THE)*. Not sure why clues 1d and 2d are linked with 4 dots instead of 3, which is the norm for ellipsis.
3 OARS BOARS (pigs) – B
5 GARDENIA (DRAINAGE)*
6 RECREATION RE (about) CREATION (oratorio)
7 GUT cd
8 RELISH dd but not quite, both meanings are nearly the same.
9 TOKEN Got this from ‘keepsake’. What is the Livingstone connection? Help welcome. // Update: TO KEN = for Livingstone, as in Ken Livingstone ex mayor of London. Thanks, Tony.
14 CHIPPENDALE (HELP PAD NICE)*
15 ELEVEN-PLUS ELEVEN (cricket team) PLUS (and)
18 ANNOUNCE ANN (girl) OUNCE (weight)
19 SLAB CAKE (BLACK SEA)*
22 EGOISM (ME IS GO)*
23 ISLAY I (one) S (small) LAY (ballad)
26 MILL cd
28 SON (NO.’S)<-

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,290 / Gozo”

1. Tony says:

I think 9d is TO KEN = FOR LIVINGSTONE, as in Ken Livingstone ex mayor of London.

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi Shuchi
    I had 11ac as *(ARTICLE) rather than dd and 15dn as ELEVEN (cricket team) PLUS (and) again instead of your indicated dd.

In 27ac, as you say, it is INSUL[ar} IN, the ‘in’ being given by ‘because of’ (see Chambers).

3. C. G. Rishikesh says:

And 30ac, I would think is &lit or “all in one” rather than a CD.

4. Tom_I says:

Re 17ac, those of a certain age will remember “Drinka pinta milka day”, which was an advertising slogan widely used by the Milk Marketing Board in (I think) the 1960s.

5. Richard says:

4ac seems to make perfect sense, A (RAG)< twice. I read 30ac as I (one) in MINSTER (church).

6. shuchi says:

Thanks for your comments. I’ve made updates to include them in the main post.

@Richard: you’re right about 30ac. Re: 4ac, my comment was about the surface meaning of ‘Twice, a newspaper brought back jelly’, which doesn’t seem to make sense if I don’t read like a cryptic clue.

7. verbose says:

Thanks Shuchi. I thought 20a was very cute indeed; it’s rare that I laugh out loud when cracking a clue.

Here are two others that did. One from the FT in August or September 2007: “Semibalding ‘usband might vanish into … ? (3, 4)” Alas, I don’t remember the setter.

The other was in the Times of India over 20 years ago: “Express disgust over bad weather in the gulf (7).” I think, but am not sure, that the ToI used to republish the FT crossword at that point. The setters weren’t named.