Azed 1964

Posted by John on January 24th, 2010

John.

It can hardly be that I am suddenly becoming quicker at these, but I found this unusually easy. Apart from the strangeness of some of the words, it presented no more problems than an average Times cryptic. It would be interesting to hear how others got on.

1 ENG HALS{e} KRUG
12 M OU(LINE)T — quarrel = square-headed arrow for a crossbow
13 PRO SO — so = provided doesn’t immediately seem right, but sure enough there it is in Chambers
14 protO CHERokees — the American spelling of ochre
15 HISTIE — history with Tory going and being replaced by tie
16 B(OCA G)E — a variant spelling of boscage
17 {f}ATTEN D{iet}
19 NIB LICK — the old golf club — I’m not sure what the surface is all about — ‘Not just any old iron — bill a blow’
21 H A BIT — but this one has a very nice surface
22 IN-OFF — the parts are the opposite of out on, and an in-off is the opposite of a successful deflection (in snooker, anyway)
25 HER DESS{ert}
28 FOR CAT
30 TIGONS — (snog it)rev. — a tigon is a cross between a tiger and a lioness
31 1 F(ON)LY
32 EMO NG — I recently rejected a clue in an Azed comp because I had no-good leading to ng. Good thing I did.
33 SWILL — for a while this was a mystery until I realised that Shakespeare Will was a contemporary of Jonson Ben
34 RINGLESS — L in (singers)* — Chambers gives the word but it doesn’t seem to define it, so Azed is quite entitled to do what he likes here, although the surface seems a bit strange
35 MI(SENT)R EATS — the definition is ‘Abuses formerly’, granted = sent (? but it’s there, under ‘send’), a mir is a peasant farming commune in pre-Revolutionary Russia

2 NERITINA — tin in (I earn)*
3 G HOST
4 HOSTEL — (the loos – o{dour})*
5 LOVED — (devol{ution})rev.
6 SUNBAKE — (Eubank’s)* — an Australian word
7 KLOOCH — a comp. anag. where (Chinook lady) and (Any klooch I’d) are the anagrams, although I’m not quite clear about the indicator — why are there two of them: ‘played round with’ and ‘maybe’?
8 RICCIA — the Roman form of 201 in (air)rev. — couldn’t really have been much else and I looked up the word very confidently
9 pupUNHA Tree — cleverly disguised definition, which is simply ‘Remove top’
10 STREET STYLE — (t{h}e sly setter)*
11 APH{id} A NIPTER A — the unlikely ‘nipter’ is the ecclesiastical ceremony of washing the feet
18 MISALLOT — all in (moist)*
20 {pani}C HASTEN
23 F(o)L(i)O{s} NG S
24 F-ANGLE — Azed uses this device quite often, sometimes to show that the first letter of the word is repeated and sometimes simply to give the first letter
26 DROWSE — {wed}d{ing} (worse)*
27 knowiNG ONIons
28 FIRS ({fores}T
29 CNIDA — I’d in (can)*

6 Responses to “Azed 1964”

1. The Trafites says:

Ref. 33ac – I also took a while to suss out what was going on here, and after the ‘Monty D/Alan T’ charade the other week, spent a while trying to find somebody called ‘S. Will’ until it hit me what AZED was playing at. I am starting to think these sort of charade clues are a bit unfair sometimes, as it really is a sort of a charade of a clue to a clue.

19ac is NIB = bill (as in a birds) + LICK (beat… blow or flick etc.).

Nick

2. liz says:

Thanks, John. I found this slightly easier too — at least I got more of it out on the first sitting than usual.

Failed to get 27dn, which is the third or fourth time this week that I have failed to spot a hidden…!
    Must try harder. On the plus side, I’m getting a bit better at the compound anagrams.

I guessed 11dn would be a flea genus, but had to use an anagram finder to work it out. I didn’t know ‘nipter’ which didn’t help.

re33ac I actually really liked this one! It made me smile, anyway.

3. Don Manley says:

Reasons why Azed gets easier:

1) You’re learning the style
    2) You’re improving your vocab
    3) Times clues over the years have got nearer the Azed style (harder vocab, more alternate-letters clues and subtraction clues, for example), in which case…
    4) Azed will be easier because of the more helpful checking.

(Without boasting) — I managed this mornings without reference to Chambers. Another decade or two and you’ll be the same!

4. Andrew Kitching says:

I thought there were some excellent clues in this puzzle: DROWSE, INOFF, FIRST to name but three. Today, I finished by lunchtime, so I think I’m improving too- Christmas parcels excepted!
    It seems to be helping me get better at The Times daily too.

5. John says:

The Trafites: I had no problem with the wordplay in 19ac, which was why I wrote NIB LICK rather than NIBLICK. It was the surface that I was bewildered by.

Thanks, Don, for your encouragement. I’ll be happy if you are correct, but even happier if Azed starts to give me a few VHCs rather than — sometimes — ‘mere’ HCs.

6. Bob Sharkey says:

Don Manley might have added that he occasionally uses a clue from the competition slips. This is always especially galling if it serves as a reminder of yet another rejection, as VERY recently.