Azed 1965/groan

Posted by ilancaron on January 31st, 2010

ilancaron.

As per usual a wordplay or two which I’m not sure of. Somewhat harder than my last Azed outing (1958). And a surprised groan or two were elicited (Azed isn’t the most humorous setter in my opinion usually).

1 ESPR(IT DE COR)PS – IT,DECOR in (P in press)*. I’m a bit confused as to the role of “etc” – does the definition of DECOR have to be “scenery etc” — isn’t ‘scenery’ alone enough?
11 STUFF – quadruple definition (all in Chambers)
13 IMSHY – scat (as in, “go away”). I assume there’s a relevant song including”I’m shy” referencing Mary Ellen (Google says there is).
14 CAROTID – (I, a d[o]ctor)*
15 I,CE MEN[t] – US slang for jewel thieves
17 PAR(EL)LE – it’s a kind of lichen, EL=L is first letter of lichen and PARLE is talk (archaic)
18 P(ITARA)H – my first clue since an obvious anagram: tiara* in [ele]PH[ant]. A new word though for me (Indian traveling box for clothes)
19 EASE – sounds likes “E’s”. Triggered a rare groan at Azed’s humor.
21 ENTRE(COT)E – ENTREE’s our course and I think “something containing a little kipper” is just a long-winded way of defining somewhere to sleep (?).
23 HI[t],FI[t] – very precise clue since we’re “identically” cutting off a T from each 3 letter component.
24 P(H)OTISM – H in (to imps)*
27 N(UT)LIKE – Klein nicely misdirected me to wondering about Naomi Klein and Calvin Klein but, no, it’s just fodder: UT=archaic “as” in Klein*
30 TA(M)ILS – ref. Tamil tigers.
31 AREOLAS – A in (a loser)* — “the part of the iris of the eye bordering on the pupil”
32 CRUS[ad]E – it’s a small bottle.
33 I’M,ODE – a very modern clue since IMODE is “a technology enabling the Internet to be accessed from cellular phones.”
34 HYMENOMYCETES- (shy, coy men meet)* another obvious anagram but rather tough to decipher at first.

1 E(SCAPE HA)TCH – (sea chap)* in ETCH=cut
2 STASI[s] – our friends the E. German secret police and statis=rest.
3 PURI[fied] – I think I’ve got the wordplay right. PURI is a juggernaut in the Indian god sense.
4 IF,TAR – Arabic night meal (ref. Ramadan).
5 TRI(PART,IS)M – govt, unions and employers getting together to Do The Right Thing. Have I got the wordplay right?
6 DAD,A – DAD is our “pop” and our Art movement is DADA.
7 CIC,E,RO – type (face). I see all the wordplay elements but not completely sure how they fit together: “Type close to English army chief, before English uprising”. CIC=chief, E=English, RO=rev(OR=English army).
8 O(ME)LETTE[r] – I think ME is one in this case (Azed himself).
9 PH(E)ESE – [fi]E[ld] in sheep* (archaic “drive off”)
10 S(Y)NDES,MOSES – Y in sends*. MOSES is our lawgiver and they are ligaments.
12 BIRD-CHERRY – by process of elimination you’d think I’d be able to work who the “famous umpire” is — I do know that BIRD-CHERRY does produce an astringent harvest. Given that CHERRY is “a new ball” in cricket, I suppose there’s an umpire named BIRD?
16 SAN(IT,IS)E
20 B(INAR)Y – not only a number system also a star! rev(rani=queen) in BY
22 TE(LL)EN – a crustacean
25 OLEIC – oily thus greasy. I don’t see the wordplay? -“Greasy Neapolitan canopy viewed from below?”
25 SLADE – deals*. Scots slipping and sliding (my kind of skiing).
28 K,AIM – more Scots (fortified site)
29 CLOT[hes] – a yo-yo as in an idiot = CLOT

13 Responses to “Azed 1965/groan”

1. Chris says:

1 ac. Chambers gives “scenery and stage embellishments” as the first definition of decor. So Azed is being careful to use “etc” to indicate that “scenery” is only part of that definition.

13. I’m shy Mary Ellen, I’m shy.

7. Cicero and English are similar type faces, so “Type close to English” is the definition. CIC=chief, OR=before, E=English (with OR E being reversed).

2. Andrew Kitching says:

Harold ‘Dickie’ Bird is the umpire.
    I enjoyed this puzzle. DADA was a good one. Finished it by lunchtime Sunday, a record for me. Today’s seems a bit tougher.

3. David Mansell says:

12 dn Dickie Bird is a famous cricket umpire from Barnsley
    25 dn “cielo” is Italian for “sky” so “viewed from below” you get “oleic”

4. The Trafites says:

I too was stumped by the wordplay to 25dn, as ‘cielo’ is not in Chambers – sometimes AZED states if a ref. is in C or not, and when this is not stated it frustrates me as I expect all words (ref. too!) to be there. It’s a big jump to assume ‘Neapolitan canopy’ = ‘sky’ in Italian!

Ref. 3dn had me worried a bit too, (Brewers helped me here) – it was only later that I found ‘puri’ in Chambers under the ‘juggernaut’ headword.

Nick

5. Andrew says:

21ac – cots are used for babies, so they contain little kippers.

6. Jerb says:

3d – The wordplay’s right, and Puri is the home of the famous Jagannath temple. Jagannath is a form of Vishnu – and Puri hosts the annual Ratha Yatra (chariot procession), tales of whose large, unstoppable chariots ultimately gave rise to our word “juggernaut”. Apparently…

7. ilancaron says:

thanks all for the clarifications. I suspected CIELO was Italian sky (given that French is ciel) but wasn’t in C. The proximity of CICERO and English was … well… not so close for me to uncover obviously.

I didn’t know that umpires could be famous in any sport, much less cricket. (I challenge anyone to name a famous soccer ref — ok, except for the bald Italian guy :)

8. David Mansell says:

They’ve actually erected a statue of “Dickie” Bird in Barnsley!

9. liz says:

Thanks, ilancaron. The only way I was able to finish this was to cheat to get 34ac and 10dn, once I’d identified the wordplay in each. I also had ‘pure’ instead of ‘puri’ — that was one I should have checked!

re 22dn I’m sure this is just mistyping, but shouldn’t it be ‘tellen’ rather than ‘tellin’?

I actually have heard of Dickie Bird, but I only remembered after I had solved the clue.

10. ilancaron says:

Yes TE(LL)EN — typo indeed.

11. Paul says:

I just noticed that in the pdf version of this crossword (at least when I printed it which was soon after it went live — I live in California) there is a bar missing at the end of PARELLE. So I thought it was PARELLES at first (after all PARLES means talk in French) until I got 10 down and then it had to be PARELLED which didn’t quite match the clue. But it couldn’t be anything else, only the second L is unchecked.

I have very little interest in cricket but I immediately put down BIRD since he has to be the only umpire famous enough for inclusion in a crossword (I mean even I’ve heard of him). He has a long Wikipedia page.

And at 3dn PURI is not the Juggernaut but apparently a town where the Juggernaut is worshipped.

12. The Trafites says:

Paul #11, yes the bar was missing in the PDF – I hope marking it in was allowed!

I also apologise to AZED – ‘CIELO’ is in Chambers under the headword of ‘CEIL’ in the root def. of the word… [Prob connected with Fr ceil, Ital ceilo…]

Nick

13. David Mansell says:

The online pdf also had a misprint of “cur” for “cut” which made finding the explanation for the solution a bit more difficult.