Genius 79: Enigmatist — anagrams within anagrams

Posted by jetdoc on February 1st, 2010

jetdoc.

Oops! I should have assigned this for blogging, but have been somewhat preoccupied. So here’s a very quick, last-minute attempt at a blog. The deadline was orginally given as 6 February, but the solution is already available on the Guardian website.

Most of the across solutions are anagrams of each other.

7 EGALITARIANISM *(ILEITIS ANAGRAM)
9 SERGEANT-AT-ARMS *(SETTERS ANAGRAM). An officer of a legislative body or the Court of Chancery, for making arrests, etc.
10 CLOSE IN Double definition — ‘silly’ applied to a fielding position in cricket, means very close to the bat.
14 ANAGRAM A; N = northern; Agra = Indian city; M = marks. A device used by crossword setters.
18 PHOTICS PICS = snaps; packaging (containing) HOT = raunchy. Otherwise knows as optics, the science of light.
19 TERSEST Look above, and you see ANAGRAM; look below, and you see SETTERS, the word to be anagrammed. ‘No briefer’ is the definition.
20 SETTERS Double definition — a kind of dog, and the sun is also a setter in the evening.
24 ILEITIS *(One lies). &lit — with ileitis, one would lie uncomfortably.
29 ANGLO-AMERICANS *(CLOSE IN ANAGRAM)
30 PHANTASMAGORIC *(PHOTICS ANAGRAM)
1 VESSEL The two halves of SELVES (alter-egos), joined together in a different way.
2 WALRUS WAS = used to be; L = lecturer; R = the demise (end) of Inspector (hmm…); U = University. A morse is a walrus, a meaning much played upon since the fictional detective’s appearance.
3 HI-DE-HI The TV sitcom series Hi-de-Hi! was set in a holiday camp.
4 MAINS Double definition — supply system of water, gas, electricity etc; main courses.
5 SIXAIN NI = Ulster (Northern Ireland), AXIS = alliance; all reversed. A stanza of six lines.
6 UNHANG Anagram of ‘bargain-hunters’ minus ‘arbiters’.
8 SAMBA Double definition — a form of canasta using three decks of cards and six jokers; a Brazilian dance and musical genre. Also sambal, a chili-based sauce, without L (left).
10 CAPRI C = clubs; APR 1 = April Fools’ Day.
11 OZONE OZ = Australian; ONE = the answer to 1 down.
12 EXIST ‘Be’ is the definition; [s]EXIST = unfair to women, without its first letter.
13 NOSES SE[a]SON, reversed.
14 ALTOS STALL cut (a letter short), out (anagrammed); accommodating O = leader of orchestra.
15 AFRIT Hidden in ‘banana fritters’. A demon in Arabic and Islamic cultures; also the pseudonym of the late Prebendary A F Ritchie, a cryptic crossword setter.
16 REEVE Hidden in ‘free verse; also RE = about, EVE = the night before. A high official, chief magistrate of a district; a bailiff or steward.
17 MATHS ‘I’m at h[i]s’ is the ‘home’ for this subject; ‘no current’ indicates that I, the symbol for electric current, has been removed.
21 LUNCH Hidden in ‘all unchecked’. Someone slightly crazy is said to be ‘out to lunch’.
22 IN LINE Double definition.
23 IN A WAY IN = home; AWAY = not at home.
25 EWINGS The family in Dallas; east (E) wings might be part of manor houses.
26 TEA URN A brewer’s vessel (1 down). T = ultimate in hot; EAU = water; RN = Royal Navy, one of the armed services.
27 RESECT Half of SECRET = ‘concealed’, inside the rest of it — SEC in RET. To resect is to cut away part of, esp the end of a bone.
28 JEMMY J = joint-top; EMMY = an award that might be presented to a joint-top TV show. To force open with a jemmy, a short crowbar.

11 Responses to “Genius 79: Enigmatist — anagrams within anagrams”

Many thanks, jetdoc – and if that’s ‘a very quick, last minute attempt at a blog’, I’m awe-struck!

This is only the third Genius I’ve attempted and the second I’ve finished. I thought it [and therefore I!] was very clever.

I was very fortunate to get 9ac immediately, from the definition and the enumeration, which helped a lot with the rest.

2. Andrew says:

Thanks jetdoc – this was very clever and good fun.

I was a wrong about the online solution, by the way – although the links say they are to the solution of this puzzle, they actually lead to the solution of the previous one! No doubt they’ll catch up eventually: at least the special instructions weren’t late this month, as there weren’t any (confusing in its own way!)

Congrats to IanN14 to being first to submit his solution again..

3. IanN14 says:

Thanks, Andrew.
    Blimey, I’ve never been called a stalwart before…
    (Not quite so fast for the next one, though).

4. liz says:

Thanks for the blog, Jetdoc. I thought this was very satisfyingly constructed and enjoyed it a lot. Can’t remember all the ins and outs of it now, so thanks for the blog, which was a welcome reminder!

5. liz says:

Oh, and well done Ian14!

6. IanN14 says:

Thanks liz.

7. Mr Beaver says:

Thanks for the blog – it explained a few mysteries !
    It took us a long time to get into this – we were surprised to see no special instructions, and it took a while for the penny to drop that they were actually in the clues. Very clever – especially 19a.

I still don’t really get 6d – thought UNHANG a possibility but couldn’t explain it, so left it blank. Oh! (“plink” – sound of light coming on) – I get it, ‘online items’ = washing. Doh….

8. cholecyst says:

Well done, IanN14 (Swot!)

9. IanN14 says:

Thanks, too, cholecyst,
    You made me laugh; I’m making up for my (rather mediocre) school years at a rural comprehensive…

10. mhl says:

Thanks for the post, jetdoc – we completed this happily but with a few queries that you’ve cleared up, e.g. VESSELS and “demise of Inspector”

The incorrect submission deadline is annoying – I did get it in on time, but might well not have since I don’t like submitting competition puzzles until I understand everything in them…

(Congratulations again, IanN14!)