Financial Times 13,299 / Jason

Posted by Agentzero on February 2nd, 2010

Agentzero.

One clue I can’t quite figure out (5 down); I’m sure someone will help.

1 RABBIT WARREN RABBIT (gas, as in to talk excessively) WAR (conflict) RE (on) N (new)
8 POLENTA POLE (European) N (northern) TA (thanks)
9 SHAVING S (son) HAVING (maintaining)
11 NOMADIC *(CAN DO I’M)
12 EYEBALL E (English) YE (the old) BALL (Globe)
13 TIPSY TIPS (ends) Y (yankee)
14 BOOKSHELF BOOK (reserve) SHELF (informer, in Australian slang)
16 ROAST BEEF *(SAT BEFORE)
19 HASPS H (end of “March”) ASPS (snakes)
21 FOOTAGE EG (for example) A (answer) TOO (overly) F (fine), all reversed
23 RHUBARB dd
24 SUAVEST SUIT with AVES (birds) substituted for I (one).
25 OUTFLOW OUT (not in prison) F (female) LOW (unscrupulous)
26 MONETARY UNIT *(ANYTIME RUN TO)

1 ROLLMOP ROLL (turn) MOP (cleaning tool)
2 BONE DRY BONED (filleted) RY (gutted “ray”)
3 IRASCIBLE *(ISRAELI) around C (caught) and B (British).  “Caught by British” doesn’t quite work, since the B is not next to the C
4 WASTE *(A STEW)
5 READERS Whence the REA?  It must be some acronym that I do not know.  After that it appears to be D (first in debt) + [t]ERS[e] (“endlessly terse”)
6 EMIRATE EMIGRATE (settle elsewhere) minus G (good)
7 SPENDTHRIFTS *(FIRST TEN PHDS)
10 GOLDFISH BOWL dd
15 OFFERTORY OFF ER (from Queen) TORY (Conservative)
17 AVOCADO [h]AVOC + ADO (difficulty)
18 TRAPEZE TRAP (net) + homophone of EASE (without difficulty)
19 HOUSTON dd
20 SCARLET *(CLARETS)
22 EXTRA hidden in tEXT RAmbles

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,299 / Jason”

1. Tom_I says:

Thanks for the blog, Agentzero.

Re 5d, “in debt” = “in the red”, and “first” indicates the first letter of the alphabet.

So it’s A in RED + [t]ERS[e].

2. JamesM says:

Thank you Az for the blog.

I read (sorry!)5D as “first” = A, inside “in debt” = RED and ERS as you say.

Do you think this might be right?

JamesM

3. JamesM says:

Sorry, Tom_I: crossed wires!

JamesM

4. Agentzero says:

Tom and James, thank you both. I have seen and admired the “red = in debt” device before, but did not recognize it here, possibly because once I thought of “first in debt = D”, my mind couldn’t let go of the idea. In other words, I was successfully misled!

5. Fletch says:

In 3d, C can also stand for caught by as well as caught.

6. flex says:

Thanks for the explanations. I didn’t get “shelf” as Aussie for informer, but liked that clue otherwise though, good surface reading. I only knew 5D was “readers” because I knew that was the term for senior lecturers. Also I didn’t get why “offer” was “from Queen”.

This is the first cryptic crossword I’ve (almost) finished – must have been particularly easy!