Independent 7269 by Radian

Posted by nmsindy on February 2nd, 2010

nmsindy.

Very enjoyable puzzle from Radian, which I found somewhat easier than usual from this setter.  Solving time, 20 mins.  Nina referred to at end.

* = anagram     < = reversed

ACROSS

1 NOUGHT    Hidden

4 ONE (single)-(char)ACTER     & lit

10 TRUSTWORTHINESS     t (time) in (it shows returns)*

11 TEE (start for drivers ie golf) TH(em)

12 REED ORGAN    O in (gardener)*

14 A HOME OF OUR OWN    (woo fame honour)*

18 THE FAMOUS FIVE    US in (have time off)*    Series of books for children by Enid Blyton that I thought of straightaway

22 CHARLES IX       (Rachel)*   is<   X = by (multiplication).    King of France in the 16th century

24 SE(V)EN     Another series of Enid Blyton books – The Secret Seven

26 ONE OVER THE EIGHT    = drunk (as is ‘three sheets to the wind’)     Crew’s boss from rowing (eight in a crew)

28 TIN (can) I (Loch) NESS

29 S = seafront (first letter) TENCH

DOWN

1 NO TATE

2 U-TUBE    “You Tube”    Site where video clips can be posted.

3 HIT CH    Think this refers to the director Alfred Hitchcock

5 NOT-SELF   (left son)*    Glad of the straightforward anagram here.    I think it’s Atman from Buddhism meaning self or soul so ‘not-self’ is the opposite.

6 AM (I G)O     In Latin ‘I love’ = amo      amigo from Spanish ie across the Med (from Rome)

7 TIE    Alternate letters in ‘strike’

8 RES (ONAN)T    Not sure if this would come within the ‘drawing-room’ criterion mentioned in Don Manley’s Chambers Crossword Manual, notwithstanding its origin in the Book of Genesis…

9 M (ON) ROE    (more)*    Monroe (US President) doctrine – 19th century

13 G (NOM) E     eg = say<   financier eg the gnomes of Zurich

14 ARENA    Seen reversing at the end of the clue

15 OVA   Hidden reversal in ‘favour’

16 UZI   “oozy”     This was my favourite clue.

17 STI C (K O) UT     It’s<    cut = channel

19 OESTRUS     (tussore)*    heat in animals

20 SIXTHS     S = Sinatra’s top   (x hits)*   X = 10 in Roman numerals

21 S (NIT) CH

23 LI (V)EN    Neil Armstrong of the moon landing (reversed)

24 S (WE)ET    Rock (type of sweet, typically sold at seaside in the past)

25 VEGA (star) N

27 EON     ‘one’ with e (ie its close) moved to the top

Nina:  numbers (0-10)  in each row

11 Responses to “Independent 7269 by Radian”

1. anax says:

Remember the old TV programme “How Do They Do That?” with, I think, Des Lynam? That’s what I felt about Radian after solving this; to go from 0-10 in order and still create a generous grid is a magnificent achievement.

26a was my favourite clue, and thanks for explaining 8d which I got but couldn’t understand. Demure and chaste, I am.

What a clever puzzle – couldn’t quite manage it, despite getting all the long acrosses early on. Got stuck in the NE corner with ONE ACTER, AMIGO and MONROE. 26ac was excellent.

But completely oblivious to the 0-10 Nina. It’s very cleverly done, but I’d be interested to know if it helped anyone solve it.

And nms, I’m pretty sure rock is still for sale on the Roker seafront in the summer … get permission from your dentist first, though.

3. IanN14 says:

K’s D,
    Getting the 0-10 certainly helped me with ONE ACTER and the NE corner.
    Great puzzle.

Excellent puzzle – and, for once, I got the Nina, quite early on. [I did use it to get 28ac, Kathryn's Dad, and then realised how straightforward that was, anyway.]

Too many great surfaces to choose the best.

[It's been a good day today, with Pasquale in the Guardian.]

5. NealH says:

This was a very enjoyable puzzle. I spotted the NINA about half-way through and it helped me finish it more quickly than I would otherwise have done. Although the definition in 24 across is rock, there was a seventies band called Sweet, so it might almost qualify as an &lit

6. NealH says:

24 down that is.

7. anax says:

Ky’s D
    Funnily enough no, it didn’t help my solve – I didn’t pick up on the theme immediately. The design of the grid made me a bit suspicious but 24a’s reference to 18a had me looking for some other hidden Blyton ref. It was only after filling the grid I noticed the 0-10 sequence, which is roughly when my jaw hit the carpet.

Neal, I too was tempted by something to do with a glam rock band for 24dn. Having just clicked on your link, I wish I hadn’t been. That picture is going to keep me awake tonight.

anax

18ac was the first I got, which quickly led to 24, so I, too, was looking for a Blyton theme. Getting CHARLESIX [great clue!] was the pdm.

[When I got 20dn, I wondered if there was more!]

10. Bannsider says:

Great stuff – SIXTHS, UZI and STICK OUT stick out!

A less chaste boy than Anax, obviously, RESONANT reminded me of the League of Gentlemen sketch where Uncle Harvey takes Benjamin to one side “while the wee wife’s a way” to deliver “a few words on the subject of O-nanism” (the O being pronounced as though it were the size of a barrage balloon). So it does meet the Manley drawing room criteria … provided your drawing room is in Royston Vasey (!!)

As for a NINA, with 12 acrosses and 20 downs there had to be one, probably running across, and what a satifsfying one it was too.

11. Radian says:

I’ll be getting a reputation I don’t deserve, having interrupted coitus twice now. Believe me, I had to look up Onan to check exactly what he is supposed to have done/not done.

Unlike most bloggers on this site I know less than nothing about any rock groups after the 60s, so SWEET was a decade too late and entirely a coincidence. Oh, and I never took to Royston Vasey, much to my regret.

As for the grid, that too is fortuitous. It would have been satisfying to complete the dozen but I think it’s obvious why I had to stop at ten.

NIce to read fellow setters’ views. Thanks for those.