Independent 7,270/Dac

Posted by Ali on February 3rd, 2010

Ali.

I found this a bit tougher than the average Dac. There are quite a few single word answers of 10 or more characters and these often seem to slow me down. Lovely clueing as always though.

1 ENTERPRISE – ENTER + “Prize”
6 CROC – C(aught) by ROC
9 MAXIMILIAN – MAXIM + NAIL 1 rev.
10 SCAN – AN on SC.
12 UNASSAILABLE – A S SAIL in UNABLE
15 SHINTOIST – HINT in SOI IS + T[-heologian]
17 TAROT – A(ce) + R(king) in TOT
18 EXTRA – EX + ART rev.
19 STEAM IRON – (MAN’S TIE OR)*
20 PARLOURMAIDS – RM + AID in PARLOUS
24 TOOL – LOOT rev.
25 CINCINNATI – “Sin Sin” NATI[-on]
26 YVES – Hidden in nattY VESt
27 SETTLEMENT – Double def.
1 EMMA – Hidden in itEM MAnager
2 TAXI – TAX,1
3 REMONSTRATOR – RE: + N + (ARTS)* in MOTOR
4 ROLLS – Double def.
5 SEA BATTLE – AB in SEATTLE
7 ROCK BORERS – Double def.
8 CONTESTING – C(ollege) ON TESTING
11 OLD TIME DANCE – (MELODIC AT END)*
13 OSTEOPATHY – (TOES)* + OP AT + H(ospital) + Y[-ou]
14 WINTER ROSE – W(ife) + INTER + ROSE
16 IN SERVICE – Double def.
21 ASCOT – A SCOT
22 GAME – Double def.
23 PITT – IT in PT.

12 Responses to “Independent 7,270/Dac”

1. jmac says:

Thought Dac might be slipping with a slightly prosaic clue for the ubiquitous Emma at 1 down, but normal excellent service was swiftly resumed. Particularly liked Maximilian, Parlourmaids,Remonstrator, and In Service.

2. anax says:

Sheer perfection yet again from Dac which, in a way, is a shame because it will probably mean few comments here; bones of contention seem to attract the most nibblers.

Dac’s skill – which he has in spades – is to create surfaces so smooth it’s tempting to scan the paper to see if they’ve been accidentally copied and pasted from the day’s stories.

I for one bow to the master.

Elegant and varied clueing as always – a bit tougher than usual, maybe, but always gettable with a bit of brain engagement, and effortless surfaces for the most part. Too many good clues to pick a favourite. Dac is becoming one of the setters I most look forward to.

Thanks for blogging, Ali. There is a tiny typo at 15ac – should be HINT in SO IS, I think.

4. walruss says:

Very polished work, a nice puzzle in what must be the Ximenean style. Interseting comparison with recent offering from Pasquale and Virgil.

You’re right, anax, we will probably only elicit a few comments here today about what was an excellent puzzle. Personally, I’d rather enjoy a well-constructed crossword, come here for my two pennothworth on the blog, and then crack on with something else (like work, sadly). Full and frank discussion lasting till the early hours of the morning is available elsewhere.

(Sorry, Eileen – tongue in cheek doesn’t travel well in cyberspace, but as I said the other day, I do love both blogs in a special way …)

6. NealH says:

I found this fairly easy, probably helped by a generous grid where you were given the first letter of most answers. As ever, there were lots of polished and effortless-seeming clues like 2 down and 3 down. I’d have to classify 7 down as more a CD/DD rather than a straight DD since I don’t think any diamond miner has ever been called a rock borer.

7. nmsindy says:

A joy to solve, as always. Favourite clue, TAXI.

8. Wil Ransome says:

My statement the other day that Dac limits himself to one hidden per crossword has now been shown to be false. But that doesn’t stop the crossword from being typically excellent. And there are all those Dac crosswords mouldering away in the archives (he does at least 50 a year) whose beauty we will probably never see again.

9. pennes says:

Yes I look forward to Dac’s puzzles too: always seem to work well and neithert overcontrived, nor requiring recourse to references books/internet.
    I just wondered about 21 dn: the “tie” seems redundant as clue works for me without it.

Oh yes why are “rock borers” sponges?

10. Sil van den Hoek says:

This is my first post re The Independent (or was there a Punk recently?)
    I can only say that if you ever want more posts on this site, the Indie should make
    their Cryptics available as a pdf to everyone (like the FT and the Guardian).
    It is as simple as that.

When you have a normal full time job – like I have – there is no such thing as sitting in front of your computer trying to solve a Cryptic Crossword on a newspaper’s website.
    I have no time for that at all.
    Dear Eimi et al, think about this.

The Times wants money for their crosswords.
    If it goes to their setters: brilliant, but I am not so sure about that (there must be a reason why their setters are anonymous – IMHO, in this policy, The Times are the owners of the Crosswords, not the setters (meaning the money involved is theirs).

I think The Indie is not that money orientated.
    So, it would be a good idea to make the Indie’s puzzles available on line.
    I mean, printable.

If other papers can do it, then why not the Indie?

11. Ali says:

I seem to remember Eimi having a big enough battle just getting the setter’s name included next to the puzzle in the online version. The Guardian’s site is brilliant, but all the nice features are no doubt ultimately a legacy from cash invested when it wasn’t free. I’d guess the Indy just doesn’t have the money and I can’t imagine adding in extra features (however simple) will be much of a priority as if anything sales might then go down. Shame though as people are missing out on wonderful puzzles like this.

12. Colin Blackburn says:

Excellent puzzle. I failed ion the trivial GAME, I knew it was a dd but nothing came to mind.

Sil, a pdf would be nice but I’m just grateful that Eimi has been able to make the daily puzzle available for free. I’d like the Times and DT puzzles to be free and the Inquisitor to be available for free too but at the end of the day newspapers are commercial concerns, even the Independent.