Posted by Pete Maclean on February 4th, 2010
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of January 23
Here’s a themed puzzle (lots of iron and irons) with a theme that there’s nothing to figure out about. And a theme that is well exploited especially in the most admirable 25A. Okay, it does not have a great surface but it is still very clever. I also like 14D but have reservations about 23A.
1. COMPARABLE – COM[pany] + PARABLE (story from the Bible)
7. FELL – FE (iron) + LL (plates)
9. FIRE – double definition
10. SIDE SHOOTS – [Iron]SIDES + HOOTS (Scots exclamation)
11. CORSET – anagram of COSTER
12. NAGASAKI – NAG (horse) + A (a) + SAKI (monkey)
13. GOLF CLUB – GO (energy) + CF (compare) in BULL (good shot) backwards
15. OVAL – cryptic definition. I have seen a very similar clue before.
17. CAGE – “Stone walls do not a prison makes, nor iron bars a cage.”
19. EYES DOWN – EYES (looks at) + DOWN (soft feathers)
22. MISCLICK – IS (is) + CL (150) in MICK (small boy). Apparently, misclick means to accidentally click on a wrong Internet link.
23. POMPEY – double definition. “Pompey” is a nickname for Portsmouth but is it the name of a Roman town? I have to think that the Roman town should be Pompeii. Pompey, well strictly Pompeius, was a Roman general.
25. MAIDEN LADY – [Iron] MAIDEN (torturer) + [Iron] LADY (Thatcher)
26. TREE – double definition
27. PANG – PANG[loss] (optimist with “loss” lost)
28. RATHER LESS – FATHERLESS (orphan) with R replacing initial F
2. ORINOCO – anagram of IRON + O (round) + CO (carbon monoxide)
3. PRESS – double definition
4. RESETTLE – RE (concerned with) + SETTLE (multiple seat)
6. ENSIGN – double definition
7. FOOLS GOLD – anagram of LOGOS in FOLD (pen)
8. LATAKIA – anagram of ITAL[ian] with AKA (also known as)
14. FIERCE DOG – anagram of FEED CORGI
16. NEOPHYTE – anagram of ONE + homophone (“fight”)
18. ALI BABA – A (a) + LI (one pound) + BABA (cake)
20. WHEREAS – HERE (these parts) in WAS (used to live)
21, 5: DINNER, BED AND BREAKFAST – anagram of STRIKE BAND BANNED FARED
24. METAL – MET (encountered) + AL (other things)