Financial Times 13,292 – Dante

Posted by Uncle Yap on February 4th, 2010

Uncle Yap.

Monday Prize Crossword on 25 January 2010
Once again, Dante charms us with his smooth and slick surfaces for a gentle introduction to another FT week. Some of his cryptic definitions are priceless

ACROSS
1 DASHED Ins of SHE (female) in DAD (father)
4 ADOPTION Cha of AD (anno domini, these days) OPTION (alternative)
10 CEASEFIRE *(fierce sea)
11 LET UP cd
12 EATS *(a set)
13 AVANT GARDE Ins of R (Rex or king) in *(advantage)
15 SCRAPER Derogative name for a poor fiddler … wonder what outside the door mean?
16 SCAMPI Ins of CAMP (affected) in SI (rev of IS)
19 ADORED Cha of A DO (a cheat) RED (blushing)
21 SOIGNEE *(goes in e, swEetheart or middle letter of sweet) well-groomed; elegantly simple; carefully done.
23 ADMINISTER AD (advertisement or puff) MINISTER (doctor)
25 SHED dd
27 KHAKI cd for the once-universal colour for uniforms in the 40′s and 50′s
28 OPERATIVE *(prove a tie)
29 EXTREMES cd
30 AFFECT dd

DOWN
1 DECREASE Lovely dd to iron is to smoothen or to reduce the creases
2 SCATTERED *(car tested) A mundane anagram clue made extraordinary by lovely and smooth surface
3 EVEN Cha of EVE (female) N (name)
5 DUENNAS My favourite cd clue for (in the singular) a lady who acts the part of governess in Spain; a lady who watches over or chaperons a younger.
6 PHLEGMATIC *(place might)
7 INTER INTERIM (meantime) minus IM
8 NAPPED dd
9 SILVER dd Remember Long John from Treasure Island?
14 APPRENTICE Not a very cryptic cd When I was bound apprentice in famous Lincolnshire
17 PUNCHLINE PUNCH (defunct periodical) LINE (row)
18 DEAD MEAT cd
20 DISPOSE dd
21 SKEWER cd
22 CACKLE Cut the cackle means to keep quiet
24 MEANT Cha of MEAN (average) T (tee-shirt)
26 WAIF WA (Washington or Western Australia) IF (providing)

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,292 – Dante”

1. Mike04 says:

Many thanks for the blog, Uncle Yap

In 15ac, I think Dante is referring to an implement for cleaning the soles of shoes before entering a house.

I may be wrong, but for 18dn, I entered DEAD CERT.
    No prize this week then?

2. Sil van den Hoek says:

An Dear Mike04, I entered “dead heat”.

Pete, re “Some of his cryptic definitions are priceless”:
    yes, some are, but a lot are not really my cup of tea.
    Like (your favourite) 5d – don’t see anything special about it – or 21d (where I initially thought of something with “shares”, and why not?).

We were a bit puzzled by “doctor” = “minister” (23ac).
    In a sense of “to take care of”?

But all in all, nice crossword.
    When the FT wouldn’t have said that this was a Dante, I would have guessed that after solving. And that’s what I like (and one the reasons I always solve the Dantes):
    a Setter with (a) Style!

Favourite clue: probably 7d (INTER) – I like this kind of wordplay.

3. Mike04 says:

Hello Sil v d H

Re 18dn: Now we have 3 possible solutions! Any more out there?

Re 23ac: I read the word ‘doctor’ in the same way.
    I suppose ‘minister to the sick’ comes quite close.

Some marvellous clues. Thanks, Dante.

4. Rufus says:

Thanks to Uncle Yap for another comprehensive blog, and for the comments.
    For 18 dn I intended DEAD CERT (“No racehorse alive is one”). I don’t think DEAD MEAT or DEAD HEAT really fits the “one” in the clue, but obviouisly I have to think more about clues like this!

5. Rufus says:

And P.S: For minister I used “doctor” for the verb “minister” (“tend, take care of, nurse etc”).