Independent 7,267 by Anax (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 30/01/10)

Posted by Simon Harris on February 4th, 2010

Simon Harris.

Another challenging-but-fun weekend puzzle from Anax, which kept me occupied for some time, and briefly had me wondering if I was going to manage it. In the end everything came together nicely of course. No obvious theme or Nina that I can see, but I’m sure I’ll be corrected quickly enough if there is one.

1 DERIVES – ER in DIVES[t]. I’m not sure I’d describe ER as a “soap”, but I’m hardly an expert on this subject.
5 HACKS IT – HACK + SIT.
9 ME TARZAN YOU JANE – cd. John Clayton seems to have been Tarzan’s “real” name. Again, I’m no expert here, so I’m unsure whether he was “…the third” or whether there’s something else involved.
10 CHIP AND PIN – (P AND P + I) in CHIN.
11 KILN – L in KILN.
13 WAG – W[atch] + A + G.
14 LINE DRAWING – (W + IN) in (LINED + RAG). “Whiskey”, with the Irish “e”, is W in the NATO phonetic alphabet.
15 NICKELODEON – NICK + ELO + DONE*.
17 DOR – hom. of “door”, and an obsolete term for a drone bee.
18 ETCH – ETC + H.
19 CAPITALIST – (PIT + A L I) in CAST.
22 BROAD-MINDEDNESS – (BRAND’S DEMONISED)*.
23 ABSTAINABS + (A in TIN).
24 ERRANCY – [me]RCENARY*.
1 DEMIC – ‘EM in CID. I can’t find a reference for DEMIC=useless, other than the Urban Dictionary, which I suspect isn’t Anax’s reference of choice! I’m sure it’s out there somewhere though.
2 ROTTING – OTT in RING.
3 VERSAILLES – (A ILL) in VERSES.
4 STANDING OVATION – S + TAN + (NOT AVOIDING)*.
5 HEY DIDDLE DIDDLE – HE + [bo]Y + DIDDLE + DIDDLE.
6 CRUX – CRU + X.
7 SWAHILI – WAS* + [c]HILI.
8 TWEENAGER – (GREET A NEW)*. A youngster not quite a teenager yet.
12 MAINLANDER – MAIN + [s]LANDER.
13 WONDERBRA – (AR[e] + BRED + NOW)<.
16 COCOONS – ON in COCO’S.
17 DRIVE-IN – (I + RD)< + VEIN.
20 TASTYST in TAY.
21 IDEA – (D[own] in IE) + A.

14 Responses to “Independent 7,267 by Anax (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 30/01/10)”

1. Richard says:

An enjoyable puzzle. Like Simon, I found it quite tough to complete. The reason was that I got held up for ages on the Tarzan quotation (and had to resort to Googol to find anything connected with John Clayton III). Although I entered “demic” for 1 down, I couldn’t fully understand the clue.

2. anax says:

Just jumping in early here to inform you of my cunning plan re 1d.

The meaning of DEMIC (useless/not fit for purpose) is actually the only one I knew – wasn’t aware it officially meant “of the people”. So I was very surprised to not find the colloquialism listed in my dictionaries. However, I deliberately went with the urban dictionary version, hopeful that it might be sufficiently contentious to result in lots of “How dare he?” blog entries.

I’m sure there must be a suitable Blackadder quote to fully describe the cunningness of my cunningly cunning plan.

3. jmac says:

This was my first Anax puzzle and I must say I thought it tremendous. For me, this was the perfect level of difficulty for a Saturday crossword – I could solve a few, go away, mull a few more over, come back, enter a few more, and so on through the day. Finally ending up really satisfied when it all fell into place.
    Loved Hacks It and Line Drawing particularly. Appreciated both the cleverness of the construction and ease-of-solving of Chip and Pin (with a crossword this tough I needed one or staightforward clues). Was glad I knew my Tarzan because I needed that to open up the top of the puzzle, otherwise it could have been a real struggle, but still don’t really understand how it works except in a sort of general knowledge way. Learnt two new words, Dor and Demic (had to confrim the latter from the same source as Simon and it was the last to go in). Thank you Anax, and also thanks to Simon for explaining Nickelodeon.

4. Simon Harris says:

How dare he!

Well, I’m glad I was on the right lines there, and I’m not sure I could raise a complaint about the source for DEMIC, since I seem to have solved it regardless.

jmac, I read the Tarzan clue as simply a cryptic way of referring to a statement about names (“handles”) that might be made by the chap in question. I think that’s all there is to that one.

5. jetdoc says:

DEMIC was pretty obvious from the wordplay, but it was the last one I wrote in — and even then with hesitation, as I had never heard it used in that sense, and neither has Chambers. I see that, in some sort of reverse intellectual snobbery, it is an abbreviation of ‘academic’.

Otherwise, good puzzle, though it should not have taken me so long to spot ME TARZAN YOU JANE — I had never heard of John Clayton III, but I have certainly heard the phrase ad nauseam.

6. nmsindy says:

This was very tough and very satisfying. Particularly liked ABSTAIN, ERRANCY, STANDING OVATION, WONDERBRA, COCOONS, IDEA.

7. Gnomethang says:

1d. You could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!
    Thanks anax.

8. Mick H says:

Great stuff. Demic new to me, tho maybe endemic in the academic demi monde. Liked 15, 19, 22 and especially 4 – ‘raised hand’ is a fab definition.

9. Paul B says:

‘Half a see’ would be DEMI-C! Ahaha … no? ‘Look of e.g. Nelson’ … non? Oh, be like that then, I’ll get me coat etc. Another great performance from crosswording’s answer to Mark King, and very enjoyable indeed. I too felt the level of difficulty just about right for the weekend wrestle.

Well played, old bean.

10. Wil Ransome says:

I never completed this because I can’t read my own writing: for 1ac I had D.R.U.S and when I eventually gave up and consulted a cheat all it threw up was dirdums and durdums, not much use.

Another outstanding puzzle from Anax, so many very clever clues. But I was and still am bewildered by 19dn — “Mine’s a large one”, admits company investor. Leading to CAPITALIST. How does this work? As it stands it seems it should be cast in (pit a l i), not the other way round.

11. anax says:

Hi Wil. The comma is all-important in identifying the wordplay instruction.

12. Wil Ransome says:

Thanks Anax. I knew you wouldn’t have been wrong. And of course I meant 19ac not 19dn.

13. Bill says:

Got 14a because I had all the letters down.Had to look up tweenager but had the anagram correct.Really liked Versailles.Enjoyable

14. Nick Corney says:

Once again Anax has provided me with the highlights of my day at work. Perhaps I should change jobs…