Independent 7272/Phi

Posted by John on February 5th, 2010

John.

The usual good product from Phi. Several enormous anagrams — he must have been out with his Scrabble tiles.

1 ‘S A MOA — I think, although ‘s for it’s I’m not quite sure about: Chambers only has this as the shortened form of has, is and us. SA MOA, where SA = sex appeal = it (thanks Ian N14)
4 DECEITFUL — (fuel cited)*
9 H(USB)AND
10 ENDEMIC — end (mice)rev. mice with its tail first (thanks Derrick)
11 RACING CERTAINTY — (try ancient cigar)*
12 CE LI(BAT)E
14 K(ID)NAP — Again I’m not quite sure here: ‘knap’ is defined in Chambers as ‘to snap or break …’ — hardly ‘to go off’, which is surely ‘nap’. But is ‘knap’ a variant spelling of ‘nap’? Otherwise where does the K come from? KI(DNA)P (thanks K’sD)
17 LOO KIN

3 AG (A) IN
4 DEDICATE — ‘d (iced tea)* — in this case Chambers does give ‘d for had
5 C(HER)RY
6 INDIAN{a} IN K{inky} — this play
7 FEMININE ENDINGS — (men needing finis{h})*
8 {p}LUCKY
13 BR(IT)AN (NI) A — bran is the refuse (noun)
15 PAS DE DEUX — (ad sexed up)*
16 DAD(S)A RM Y
19 E(L UNE)D
20 SIC KO — is sicko also an adjective  (apparently yes, thanks Ian N14), or is ‘That’s perverted’ an elliptical form of ‘That’s someone who is perverted’?
21 fertilisER TINs — hidden rev. & lit. — Phi is an Azed regular and there were two hidden rev. &lits among the VHCs last time

5 Responses to “Independent 7272/Phi”

Thanks, John. What a super puzzle, which I really enjoyed. Some good long anagrams, as you say.

For 14ac, I think it’s DNA (modern evidence) in KIP (go off, as in go to sleep).

2. IanN14 says:

Hello John,
    1ac. I think uses “it” as that old crossword standard for SA (sex appeal).
    20d. Yes, “sicko” can be an adjective.

3. nmsindy says:

I found this enjoyable and quite easy, maybe I was lucky in getting the long answers early on. Favourite, FEMININE ENDINGS.

4. Colin Blackburn says:

Excellent puzzle despite me not knowing ELUNED and CHIGNON. I enjoyed the wordplay in 16dn, good to see the Dadaists putting in an appearance. 5dn had an interesting definition that mislead me for a little while.

Yes, 1ac is ‘it’ = SA and interestingly the across clues ended with ‘it’ = SEX.

NITRE was in the first and last puzzles of this (working) week with NITRITE showing up between the two.

5. Derrick Knight says:

I ,too, enjoyed this. PHI is always good value. In 10 across EMIC is MICE tail first, not reversed.