Posted by Handel on February 11th, 2010
Post-revelry solve, so slightly longer than it should have been really, about 25 minutes. Very happy to be joining the blogging team having been long-time readers!
Highlights for us were 6 and 8 down.
We had to look up 12 across, not ever so hot on musical terms as yet.
9. GASEOUS (usa goes)*
10. A CHI EVE
12. PORT A MEN TO a new word to us
13. L(EFT)OVERS Eft is a lizard
15. OSCAR (caros)* carols minus l, reference to the phonetic alphabet
18. ME INK A MP F
20. blIMP AIRMEN Troubled
22. menacinG AURa
24. MAR(I)NER ref. Silas Marner by George Eliot
25. IN DIANA
26. ETHERNET ‘the’ in (enter)*
1. PIG TAIL sounds like ‘Pig Tale’. Alison Uttley wrote stories about Sam Pig
2. RESENTFUL (runt feels)*
3. IRON dd
4. LOSE ONE’S MEMORY (moneyless Romeo)*
5. EARTH SCIENTIST (Christine Tate’s)*
6. SHAM ROCK could be made of paste
7. BEAN sounds like ‘been’, runner is a type of bean, possible reference to Paula Radcliffe?!
8. DETOUR (routed)* neat &lit there
14. OB ED I.E. N(o)T
16. COME AGAIN dd
17. STIGMA (agm it’s)*
19. F(AR E)AST
21. PA RE
23. I D L E