Beelzebub 1,042 (07/02/10)

Posted by Simon Harris on February 12th, 2010

Simon Harris.

A slightly strange one for me, racing through all but a handful unhindered and thus unaided, struggling on a few more, and finally finding myself absolutely stumped at 21dn, for which I’ve reproduced the clue in case readers can help out.

4 MACARONIC – CARO[l] in MANIC.
10 ACCOUNTREMENT – (T + REME) in ACCOUNT.
11 RHEOTOME – HE in ROT O’ ME.
12 NUDE – NUD[g]E.
13 DISCOS – DIS[h] + COS[h].
14 SIRIH – IRI[s] in SH.
17 VIRTUOSO – (VIRUS TOO)*.
19 ROOTAGE – ROOT + AGE. The wordplay foxed me for a while, but one definition of “root” is “to turn up with the snout”.
22 ESOTERY – SOT in EERY.
23 BHEESTIE – H in (BEES + TIE).
25 ERBIABI in ERA.
26 GLIDER – (L + I’D) in GER.
28 CEAS – CASE showing a misplaced E .
29 HIRI MOTU – IRI[sh] in MOUTH*.
30 UNCHANGEABLE – (LUNCH + EG A BEAN)*. Great anagram, and “stew” works beautifully as the anagrind.
31 PEKINGESE – (KING in PEES) + [lan]E.
1 GARDEROBE – BORDER* in GAE.
2 SCHIZOPHRENE – CHIZ in (PERSON HE)*.
3 ACES – [f]ACES.
4 MOOCH – [s]MOOCH.
5 AUTOVACSVAC in AUTOS. Seemingly an “auto” can be “a drama, esp a short religious one”.
6 ARMURES – URE in ARMS.
7 OMNIUMM in [harm]ONIUM.
8 NEURONES – ONE in RUNES*.
9 INDISCRETELY – (DISC ENTIRELY)*.
15 HOLY-CRUEL – CRUE in HOLLY*.
16 COMEBACK – BEAM* in COCK.
18 TROELIES – (OIL TREES)*.
20 GETTINGG + [s]ETTING.
21 _EISHI – if I have everything else correct, then I’m stumped here. The only matching word in C. is MEISHI, which seems to have no obvious relevance to the clue. That clue being “Twigs half hide medicinal mushroom“.
24 RIMAEA in RIME.
27 DO BY – DOB + [courtes]Y.

6 Responses to “Beelzebub 1,042 (07/02/10)”

1. IanN14 says:

Didn’t do this Simon,
    But saw your request.
    21ac is REISHI (reis = twigs + half hide).
    Not in C. as you said…

2. Gaufrid says:

Simon
    21ac is REISHI – REIS (twigs, see Chambers under rice²) HI[de]

COED defines it as “a mushroom found growing on dead or dying timber in Asia and North America, preparations made from which are credited with health-giving properties”.

Encarta has: “Chinese medicinal mushroom: a fungus used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat various conditions including fatigue and asthma”.

3. Simon Harris says:

Thanks, Geoff, that clears it up nicely. I must admit I did consider googling the 26 possibilities, but that didn’t seem like much fun :)

4. Gaufrid says:

IanN14
    I have just recovered your comment from the spam folder. I don’t know how it got there unless it was something to do with the link. Simon posted his thanks before I took this action so this is why he didn’t acknowledge your input.

5. Simon Harris says:

I should thank you too, Ian. Oddly Geoff’s comment appeared at No. 1 a little while before yours appeared there, though yours is timestamped much earlier. WordPress magic, I suppose.

[Edit] Aha, thanks Geoff, that explains everything.

6. IanN14 says:

No problem G&S.
    (I wondered what had happened when I pressed submit – I thought perhaps I was on the naughty step for being a bit off-topic yesterday…).
    Keep up the good work.