Independent 7282 by Dac

Posted by nmsindy on February 17th, 2010

nmsindy.

Not sure if Wednesday would be quite the same without a Dac Indy puzzle.    This, as always, was great, particularly liked the surface readings.    Turned out to be quite a easy one for me, 13 mins.

* = anagram  < = reversed

ACROSS

1  POST-M1 STRESS !!      Clue of the puzzle for me.

8 OS (large) T(1)A    TA = gratitude.     Good misleading context suggesting drink.   It’s the (sea) port of ancient Rome.

9 GU(1)LL  EMOT     tome<

11 L(AC)ONIC     (Colin)*

12 LAMINAE   (in a meal)*

13 BROADS   IDE    “I’d”

15 ATE in PariS     & lit

17 RE S IT

19 POSTE (RIO) R    Rio Ferdinand, new England football captain after you know who, so let’s hope the surface reading is not prophetic…

21 TALE NT  S      NT = books (New Testament)

23 SAB  BATH     (BAs)<

24 Cardinal RICH E (LIE) U     C17 French statesman and prelate, effective ruler of the country.

25 REIGN   (Tangier)* less TA = soldiers

26 PEOPLE’S FRONT     Same as Popular Front, the best-known being that taking power in France in 1936.  (The) People = UK Sunday newspaper, eagerly awaited by the Indy readership, no doubt…

DOWN

1 PUT A CROSS    tick-tack-toe = US term for noughts and crosses.

2 STAINED   (instead)*

3 MA (GI) C

4 STILL  (Loch)NESS

5 ROLL MO Pleasure

6 SI (MO) N

7 COL(d) LAB ORATOR     As VQ did with the Nazis when they occupied Norway in WWII.  Executed after the war.

10 TREASURE HUNT    (Thanet usurer)*

14 IMPASS (1 V)E

16 TRIBALIST    (It’s T Blair)*

18 TENSE U P     (Usenet)*

20 E (MB) ARGO     Argo = Jason’s ship from Greek mythology

22 LOCKE     cf Yale “lock”

23 STUFF    Double definition

8 Responses to “Independent 7282 by Dac”

1. mhl says:

Thanks for the post, nmsindy – a quick puzzle but very enjoyable, indeed.

There’s a small error in 16 down – it’s only a singular TRIBALIST. I put a question-mark beside that clue, in fact, because I’d think of it as “Who’s showing support for a particular group?”

2. nmsindy says:

Many thanks, mhl, typo now corrected.

3. Bannsider says:

Great stuff, in particular PEOPLE’S FRONT and POSTMISTRESS, the latter taking me ages as I’d carelessly entered GET ACROSS at 1 down and wondered why that was the answer(!)

4. Derrick Knight says:

Another very enjoyable puzzle from Dac. Loved your comment on the football captaincy, Niall.

Thanks, nms. This was a great puzzle and after yesterday’s toughie, managed this one with a spare hour and infusions of caffeine.

Glad someone better at crosswords than me put GET ACROSS as well, but when I’d discovered the error, POSTMISTRESS was brilliant. Just elegant clueing all round, thank you Dac.

If 19ac was intended as a comment about the England captaincy debacle, then it’s even more clever. I, of course, was tempted to see how ANTON could be inserted into the answer, since he is employed by a much higher profile team than his brother RIO.

6. IanN14 says:

K’sD,
    But not as high as his cousin Les…

I’d love to say more, Ian, but if I do, then Gaufrid will understandably get a bag on, as we say round here, and send us somewhere else for a discussion about the Ferdinands. But nms is right, Wednesday at the moment is a look forward to day in CrypticLand if you buy the Indy.

8. IanN14 says:

Absolutely right, K’sD.
    Especially the top and bottom rows.