Financial Times 13,314 / Flimsy

Posted by shuchi on February 19th, 2010

shuchi.

Quite straightforward except a few clues in the top-right.

Clues for compound words/phrases in this puzzle (1A, 10A, 28A, 5D, for example) split the answer along its natural join. Some of these clues are pretty good but I still wish Flimsy had tried more interesting ways of breaking up the words.

Special mention for 18D, for having a hidden answer span more than two words without being obvious.

7A isn’t fully explained, help invited.

1 OASTHOUSES BOAST (show-off) – B (barrels), HOUSES (stores). An oasthouse is a building for dryping hops as part of the brewing process. I can’t find confirmation that B is an accepted abbreviation for ‘barrels’. Is it?
7 SLEW STEW reversal of ‘Wets’ (moderate conservatives), the Tories who opposed Thatcher’s strict monetarist policies. Thanks,  Eileen (comment#1).
9 YETI YET (in the future) I (Flimsy). Yeti is also called Abominable Snowman, but whether ‘a snowman’ is sufficient to describe Yeti may be open to debate.
10 EAR TRUMPET EAR (organ) TRUMPET (broadcast)
11 LOWELL LO (look) WELL (to a considerable extent)
12 IMMORTAL T (Troy, the unit of weight) in IMMORAL (evil)
13 BEHEMOTH (THE HOME)* next to B[east]
15 REED cd, rather a straight definition. Reed is a thin strip of cane/metal that vibrates to produce sound in a wind musical instrument.
17 MAGI hidden in ‘BethleM AGItatedly’
19 FEARSOME (ROME SAFE)*. Caligula was the third Roman emperor in the first century AD, known for his cruelty.
22 CO-AUTHOR cd
23 APPLET APPLE (fruit) T (time). Can’t see how this works: APPLE+T is more like ‘fruit has time to bear small computer program’.
25 WHITE DWARF WHITE (chess player) D (initially ‘Declined’) WAR (battle) F (female). A white dwarf is a small, very dense star with faint luminosity. Liked this clue.
26 NOTE cd. Musical notes, and there’s a missing E in the series, therefore: NOT-E.
27 URGE S (son) out of SURGE (stream)
28 SEDAN CHAIR SEDAN (car) (A RICH)*

2 ANEMONE A N (new) around NEMO (Captain), with E (energy)
3 TWINE (WINTER – [bitte]R)*. Smooth surface.
4 OVERLOOK OVER (too much) LOOK (face)
5 STRAIGHTFORWARD STRAIGHT (even) FORWARD (rugby player). If rugby players are solving this puzzle, I hope they’re not too touchy :P
6 SHRIMP dd
7 SOMBREROS SOMBRE (gloomy) RO’S (girl’s). Ro a girl’s name?
8 ELEVATE E (European) LEE (man) around VAT (tax). I was having some difficulty equating ‘elevate’ with ‘rise’ (‘raise’ came to mind), but from the dictionary definition of ‘rise’ it seems all right.
14 ETIQUETTE cd
16 PARAFFIN PARA (soldier) IN (at home), around FF (extra strong)
18 ANOTHER hidden in ‘teA NOT HERbal’
20 MAESTRI MA (mother) (TRIES)*
21 SHADES A D (daughter) in SHE’S (the woman’s)
24 PUNCH dd

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,314 / Flimsy”

Hi Shuchi and thanks for the blog.

I share[d] some of your reservations but some of them are now cleared up. Chambers does give b for barrels – and I remember seeing it before.

In 7dn, I decided on Ros as the girl’s name, with the apostrophe as a link.

I still can’t reconcile 23ac and I’m not happy with ELEVATE as an intransitive verb [I can’t find it in my dictionaries].

7ac is STEW [mess]: reversal of ‘Wets’, the Tories who opposed Thatcher’s strict monetarist policies.

2. Gaufrid says:

Eileen
    Elevate is a transitive verb meaning raise. Rise can also be a transitive verb meaning raise or to cause to rise.

23ac would have been fine had it been a down clue where the T would have been supporting APPLE but I agree with your and Shuchi’s reservation.

Thanks, Gaufrid.

So I looked up the wrong word. I’ll repeat my reservation, on the same grounds, about ‘rise’, though, alas, I see it is in Chambers. I’ve never heard or seen it used transitively and I’m certain I shall never do so myself.

4. Gaufrid says:

Eileen
    Not just Chambers. Collins states that ‘rise’ is mainly intransitive but does give one transitive example – “(Nautical) another term for raise”.

5. Ian W. says:

Thanks for the blog.

I thought 7a was STEW (<WETS, for moderate conservatives).

There are also quite a lot of other Lowells (all from the same family) who would have suited 11a — Amy, Robert (who was first to my mind), Edward Jackson, Percival, etc.

6. Ian W. says:

Sorry, Eileen, I missed your comment on 7a.

7. Jake says:

nice to see Flimsy, finished the week off well.
    just the level of difficulty for me today.

Thanks for the info on blog.