Independent 7279 (Sat 13 Feb) by Anax

Posted by beermagnet on February 19th, 2010

beermagnet.

Sat 13th Feb was the opening day of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver so I was not surprised to find this was the main theme of the puzzle. This meant I could fill in a lot of the grid quite quickly. I started with some confidence after quickly getting the theme and several long answers. The last few were a struggle and couldn’t be found without checking a few references. Now doing the blog I find there are many where I do not fully understand the wordplay – and a few (e.g. 13A RUT & 7D TIGER) where I now wonder why I was so sure of that answer at solving time. Doubts are multiplying, so I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these answer are wrong. So, HELP!

Solving time: Ages

Note: The numerous queries, errors and misunderstandings are explained and corrected in the comments below.

1 CAM-VALVE I think there is such a part in an engine, LV is 55, and I can’t see anything else that sensibly fits the crossing letters but Help! I can’t see the wordplay:
Know-how combined with 55 parts power (3-5)
5 SKETCH [thi]S KETCH (boat) Def: draw
10 ALTOS Def: Singers, but help! I can’t see the wordplay:
Key very good for backing singers (5)
11 NOSTALGIA (IT’S A LONG A)* AInd: novel Def: Passion for history. First clue solved. The anagram fair leapt out at me – plus the accurate definition
12/8 WITH GLOWING HEARTS The motto of this Winter Olympics. Naturally, I had to check this but did guess it from the crossing letters and solved at the end in combination with 29A and 23D. Wordplay: (WHAT GOING WHISTLER)* AInd: could be
13 RUT I think this is a CD referring to the lines on your forehead:
Top of brow wiped dry heat (3)
14 CARDIOVASCULAR Help! I can’t see the wordplay:
Dodge drivers turning east out of state, increasing heart rate? (14)
18 WINTER OLYMPICS WIN (Triumph) (ETC OR SIMPLY)* AInd: crash out. When I saw the several reference to 18 I made a special effort and was pleased to get this early on.
22 LUG LUG[e] One of the most well-known Winter Olympics events, and extremely dangerous. It has claimed another life before the opening ceremony: Nodar_Kumaritashvili
24 ELBOW GREASE (BOWLER G)* AInd: Spin, EASE (moderate) Def: Effort
26 LEICESTER ICE (chill) ST[reet] inside LEER (perv) Def: city
27 URNED Homophone: “earned”.
28 MOGULS One of the Skiing events at the Games: Last clue I entered. I had never heard of this and had to research to find the answer.
29 WHISTLER (LIST)* AInd: Sporting, inside WHER[e] The town near Vancouver where many of the events take place.

1 CHADWICK AD (plug) W (point) inside CHICK. Chadwick was the discover of the neutron (A clue mush more up my street than anything sporty)
2 METATARSI M[alleabl]E, TA TA (so long), R[un], IS< Def: Bones in feet (I liked this clue too)
3 ASSAGAI AS (when) SAGA (adventure) I (one) I think of a Saga as somewhat less exciting and a lot longer than an Adventure.
4 VANCOUVER [i]VAN, U inside COVER (film – as in e.g. cling-film)
6 KWANGJU KW (power – Kilowatt) J[apan] inside (AGUN)* AInd: supply (as in supple). This one certainly needed checking once I’d finally worked out what was going on in the wordplay.
7 TIGER I think this is a Double-Def: Cat, and Big game king (i.e. the top target for big game hunters):
Cat, big game king (5)
9 ASTI Hidden in plASTIc which is in the following clue. Never has an ellipsis meant so much – correctly.
15 SELF-WORTH (FLOWERS)* AInd: plastic, T[arnish] H[otel]
16 AVIFAUNAL A[rea], (AVIAN FLU)* AInd: suffering. The bird life in a local area
17 ASCENDER Homophone: “a sender”. Def: here’s one! I’m not sure about this. If this is referring to the fact that this is a down clue then that would make it a “descender”?
19 THE BELL Another entered with confidence but now doubt about the wordplay.
For the definition: Iris Murdoch wrote The Bell. For the wordplay I suspect the Archer is William TELL, but that means HEBE is from book – how does that work?  Clue:
Archer’s enthralling book? Murdoch wrote it (3,4)
20 MARQUIS Def: Nobleman. Wordplay MAR (spoil) QUIS possibly a homophone of something meaning legend. Or is the whole thing a homophone of “Mark E”. “Mark Key” or “Mark Wiss” depending on your pronunciation
21 SLALOM One of the theme answers. L[eft] O[ver] inside SLAM (Rubbish bags) Not sure how SLAM comes from Rubbish bags.  Clue:
Rubbish bags left over in 18 event (6)
23 GOING I (one) inside GONG (The Bell) Frankly I wouldn’t have been sure of this except for the need for anagrist for 12/8
25 BITE IT inside BE (lie – as in let it be/let it lie)

Dunno about the puzzle, but I’ll award myself the prize for the most doubtful 152 blog 2010.

18 Responses to “Independent 7279 (Sat 13 Feb) by Anax”

1. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Key – ALT (the key on your computer keyboard)
    very good – SO (as in “She is so beautiful!”)
    for backing – rev ind

2. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Rubbish bags left over in 18 event (6) SLALOM – LO in SLAM

here SLAM(v.) is from Rubbish (v.); ‘bags’ is inserticator.

3. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Archer’s enthralling book? Murdoch wrote it (3,4)
    THE BELL – T(HEBE)LL
    Your parsing is correct; all that is needed is ‘enthralling’ (in the sense ‘putting in thraldom’) is the inserticator.

4. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Re Top of brow wiped dry heat (3)
    For this I had to look up!
    Knowing that there is deletion of the letter, B (from top of brow), I looked up brut (Fr.), which Chambers defines as (of wines) unsweetened, dry.
    The def. is ‘heat’, of course.

5. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Re 17, in the absence of clue text, I can only guess. Probably there is a hint that the word “here” has one [in the letter h] an example of an ascender, which [in printing] is the upper part of a letter such as b, d, h or k. Cf. ‘descender’ as in y, p or q.

6. anax says:

Ooh blimey. Didn’t think this one would cause so many problems! Rishi has almost all of them correct – here’s a list:

1a CUM-SA(VV)Y
    CUM – combined with VV – 55 inside (parts) SAY – power
    10 ALT OS<
    ALT – key, SO – very
    Both components reversed, i.e. “good for backing”
    13 (b)RUT
    14 CARDIOVASCULAR
    AVOID RAC< (Dodge drivers, turning) + S(e)CULAR
    7d TIG ER
    Def: “cat, big”. TIG = game, ER = king (i.e. King Edward)
    17d ASCENDER
    The word “here” has one ascender in it(!)
    19d T(HEB.)ELL. HEB.=Hebrews
    20d MARQUIS
    MAR + QUIS (homophone “key” = “legend” as in explanation of map symbols)

Am going to go and hide behind sofa.

You can come out now, Anax.

I enjoyed this but couldn’t finish the NW corner, where CUM-SAVVY finished me off(am being thick and still don’t understand where the CUM comes from). Should have got CHADWICK, though!

8. nmsindy says:

CUM = with in Latin

9. beermagnet says:

Come, come Anax. It’s not you but me who is in the stocks.

Excuses:
    CUM-SAVVY!? Never heard of it! Looks like a useful word for know-how solidly sitting in Chambers.
    Googling I find it was recently used in an Azed (which I don’t attempt) Azed 1966. If I’d read that blog I might’ve got it. Main excuse is that I was totally convinced 55=LV and never looked beyond that. There’s no such word as Cam-valve is there.
    ALT (SO)< Really should’ve seen this
    RUT Glad that it was at least the right answer. Again, I should’ve seen this wordplay which is very good.
    CARDIOVASCULAR Another I should’ve presevered decrypting
    TIG ER TIG=Game ? Oh. It’s what I call Tag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_(game)
    ASCENDER I’m not unhappy this wordplay defeated me. It is extremely sneaky.
    T(HEB.)ELL How did I make the elementary error of removing TELL from THEBELL to leave HEBE. If I looked at HEB=Book I’d've understood. (I must take more water with it.)
    MARQUIS I did realise “QUIS”/Key=legend later but didn’t get around to tweaking the blog. I hear numerous pronunciations of Marquis down the Marquis of Granby (pub).

I’m not going to update the body of the blog but leave it all as a monument to failure.

10. Richard Heald says:

I thought this was an excellent puzzle, admittedly rather tough but then it was a Saturday after all. Much of the wordplay (esp. CARDIOVASCULAR and METATARSI) and many of the defns (particularly ASCENDER) were terrifically inventive. CUM-SAVVY I solved immediately only because it appeared in a recent Azed, coincidentally enough at 1 Ac! The one that held me up for a while was 6 Dn, whose answer I initially had as GWANGJU (with GW = gigawatts), which appears to be the preferred spelling on Wikipedia and indeed the only spelling given by Chambers Word Wizard.

11. nmsindy says:

I thought this was an excellent puzzle, actually a little easier than some in the Indy by Anax. It helped that I found WINTER OLYMPICS quite early on. I did manage to understand all the wordplays (eventually!).

Thanks for the CUM explanation, nms – Magna cum Laude and all that. Should have twigged, having studied Latin at school for five years.

And to finally get Anax out from his hiding place, it is called TIG round here, but I think there will be regional variations, beermagnet. Eeny, meeny, miny, moe … where does that all come from?

14. sidey says:

Good grief! I got 2 (two) of this lot. Much kudos to anyone who managed it.

15. duncan shiell says:

Another fun and challenging puzzle from Anax. It took me a while but I got there in the end. The theme clues fell fairly easily aster WINTER OLYMPICS appeared.

The difficult area for me was the NW corner with the crossing CUM SAVVY, CHADWICK and ALTOS, but the word play was fair in all cases.

Where would crosswords be without footballers’ METATARSI these days?

16. NeilW says:

Must admit I struggled on most of the same ones as everyone else!

Anax, if you are back in the open again, please explain how CARDIOVASCULAR is defined by “increasing heart rate”? (“Affecting”, maybe at a pinch but “cardiovascular” just means “of the circulatory system.” Thanks

17. Paul B says:

‘Twas tough, worth every bead of perspiration, and another Anax-ellent piece from this bright young fellow. The difficulty? Appropriate shurely for a Saturday puzzle.

Finished in 102 minutes, two Paracetamol (500mg), seven coffees and a fried-egg sandwich. Favourite clue: 2dn. Wait for some of these, owned by someone crucial, to snap with that brittle, sickening sound about three weeks afore yon World Cup.

Favourite result of the day (apart from Everton’s): Norwich 0 So’ton 2.

18. allan_c says:

Almost got there, with help from the olympic-themed ‘get the picture’ in the Indy magazine, the sport pages and Radio Times. Only failed on 1ac; worked out ‘savvy’ but never heard of ‘cum-savvy’ and guessed ‘com-savvy’ (thought it might refer to commercial know-how). Challenging but satisfying. Off to make a start on today’s offering now.