Independent 7,284/Phi

Posted by Ali on February 19th, 2010

Ali.

Just as Wednesdays wouldn’t be the same without a bit of Dac, so Friday = Phi day. Great stuff as ever with some excellent anagrams.

9 BORACIC – CAR rev. in BO IC – Ref. rhyming slang: boracic flint = skint
10 ESTELLA – Not totaly sure on this one. Wodrplay looks to suggest TELL (have an effect) on A, but not sure how ‘French are’ would give ES
11 OPPOSITE NUMBERS – Cryptic def., ref. books of The Bible
12 BUCCANEER – CUB rev. + CANE + ER
14 PESTO – PEST + O[-ffer]
15 CARDIAC – 1 in CARD (wit) + AC (count)
16 OMINOUS – O(xygen) in O MINUS
4 SCATTER CUSHIONS – (SCRATCHINESS OUT)*
5 LEONARDO DA VINCI – (ADVANCED + IRON + OIL)*
6 ITEM – IT + ME rev.
7 ALPENSTOCK – (NEPAL)* + STOCK
8 NAUSEOUS – A USE in NOUS
13 CORDIALITY – CORD + I ALIT + [-tunn]Y
14 PAINKILLER – PAIN (French bread) + KILLER (crucial qestion)
15 CAGE BIRD – C(aught) on A (BRIDGE)*
19 NASARD – NASA + [-anothe]R + [-bin]D
21 ALLY – Not sure how you’d categorise this – &lit. perhaps? – but if you added P(ower) to ALLY you’d get PALLY (friendly)
22 NIUE – E(nglish) U(niversity) IN, all rev.

6 Responses to “Independent 7,284/Phi”

1. Paul A says:

10A – ‘Tu es’ = ‘You are’

You’re right, Ali, it was great stuff. A good variety of clues, of which 11ac made me chuckle and 16ac made me think ‘that’s really clever’. Learned two new words, NASARD and NIEU, both of which looked unlikely candidates but proved on checking to be right. And didn’t realise that CHEQUER can be a verb, but it can and the clue works perfectly.

If I’m being picky, then NAUSEA rather than NAUSEOUS would be the solution in 8dn; and I can’t see trial = pest in 14ac, although it’s the end of the week and I could be missing something.

Confession: I checked whether SHEARSKIN was a word as the solution to 18ac. It wasn’t.

Another very good week’s puzzles from the Indy – since there were a couple of French language clues today, I will say merci beaucoup to all.

3. nmsindy says:

Yes, very good, favourite clue ALLY. I think trial = pest = nuisance. Two words new to me that I got from the friendly wordplay, verifying after, BORACIC, NASARD.

4. dialrib says:

KD – 8d works a bit better if you take the definition as ‘of sickness’

5. Colin Blackburn says:

Excellent puzzle with some great clues. I missed out on NIUE despite once having a .nu domain registered so being aware of the nation.

Minor correction to 1ac it’s ‘boracic lint’ for skint.

6. Hi of Hihoba says:

Never heard of NIUE – had Phi been on holiday there? Had to check BORACIC (lint) which is only in Chambers. Apart from that an entertaining puzzle with the difficult words helped by straightforward wordplay.