Independent 7286 by Raich

Posted by NealH on February 22nd, 2010

NealH.

There was an Irish provinces theme to this and, although I can see three of the four Irish provinces, I haven’t noticed the fourth (Connacht), unless there’s a very cunning NINA. It’s not the easiest word to fit into a grid, so perhaps forgivable if it’s not there. There were a few other Irish references as well.

Just spotted Connacht – it was indeed cunning. It appears on the diagonal.

1 Chamois: I’m guessing this is “ch + amo + is” where amo must be Latin for “I love”. Unfortunately, Latin is not my strong point, having missed out on that at school. I was a bit dubious about chamois for polish but it can mean to polish with a chamois, so just about works, although the capital letter is a bit dodgy.
5 Munster: Monster with O['Shea] replaced by U – first Irish province.
9 Apostle: A post + L[uk]e.
10 Dubious: Dub[lin] + ious.
11 Entangle: Gentle[m]an*.
12 Ulster: Lustre* – second Irish province.
14 Lausanne: La Anne around US.
16 Somme: Hidden, reversed in “poem mostly”.
19 Event: Even + t.
20 Shamrock: Sham + rock.
22 Nubile: Nub + il + [brid]e.
24 Disclose: Di’s close.
27 Tourism: [boo]m after T (IVR for Thailand) is our.
28 Ivanhoe: (I have on)*.
29 Reflect: Ref + lect[or].
30 Tosspot: To + SS + pot.
1 Craven: C + raven. I’ve never heard of raven meaning to eat greedily, but it seems to be a valid meaning.
2 About Face: &lit, the phrase implying an anagram of cafe.
3 Often: [S]often.
4 Seemliness: Seems around lines.
5 Mode: M + ode.
6 Nebuliser: (Blue rinse)*.
7 Trout: Tr + out.
8 Reserved: Red around serve.
13 Ceramicist: (arctic semi)*.
15 Satellite: (at tellies)*.
17 Microchip: R in comic* + hip.
18 Leinster: Hidden in “sale in sterling” – another of the four provinces.
21 Regent: Reg[im]ent.
23 Bluff: Buff around L.
25 Class: C + lass.
26 Emit: Time<.

10 Responses to “Independent 7286 by Raich”

1. Ali says:

I did wonder if there was an Irish theme to this one, but didn’t spot Connacht. Very nice.

Re: 1A, you’re spot on. AMO is ‘I love’ in Latin, and is about the only thing I do remember from my Latin lessons at school!

All in all, a great puzzle. Just the right level of difficulty for a Monday. I finished it off just before I got off the bus. Some nice anagrams here, and always good to see the word tosspot in any context.

Cheers Niall!

2. Bannsider says:

I liked this a lot. Was off looking for the provinces as soon as MUNSTER spotted. I’d have thought it was easier to fit CONNACHT into the grid conventionally, especially knowing from bitter experience what difficulties can arise from sticking oblique messages into a diagonal. So I suspect Raich is just making us work for our money …

3. Derrick Knight says:

A lovely puzzle from Niall. The Nina worked for me. A good mix of clue types with a number of anagrams which read beautifully. 2Down was my favourite, perhaps because it took me longest to spot.

Late to the blog, though solved this earlier (with only one little use of the reveal letter button). Super puzzle, but didn’t twig the theme until I solved my last one – LEINSTER. And even then couldn’t find CONNACHT, but ninas aren’t my strong point yet – I just get so involved in the solving bit that I forget to look for the bigger picture. Especially liked 10ac, and the surface in 9ac was clever too.

Amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant … I’m having a flashback.

Good start to the Indy week, I think.

5. Martin H says:

Very nice puzzle, although I missed the nina. To raven is a new one on me too, but what’s a crossword for?

6. Wil Ransome says:

I thought this was very good — a consistently good standard of clueing and nothing that seemed a bit near the edge. 2dn was nice (although initially I wrote in ‘volte face’), 16ac an excellent hidden reversed which misdirected me for a while, and I was ashamed that 18dn was my last one in, which is a sign of a good hidden.

7. eimi says:

Absolutely, Martin. I’ve learnt so many things from crosswords over the years and nothing at all from Sudoku. Most people will be aware of the word ravenous, so it’s nice to make the connection.

8. Bannsider says:

I’ve learned one thing from Sudoku: how lucky we are to have crossword puzzles :-)

9. IanN14 says:

Especially when they’re such a challenge as last Saturday’s Indy…

10. Graham Pellen says:

27ac is m after t(our)is – Thailand(T) + is taking our.