Posted by Handel on February 25th, 2010
Two unknown words and one unknown spelling made this a tougher challenge for your faithful correspondents. One clue we haven’t successfully parsed.
4. POUND triple definition.
6. HE I NOUS
8. CONNIVER ‘inn’ backwards inside cover
10. LA TEST
11. BO(LONE)Y spent a long time on this convinced that ‘baloney’ was the only way to spell it, turns out that’s a load of boloney
12. C LASS WILL TELL as in William Tell, El loves clues like this
16. CUBICLE cub, then (lice)*
18. ALBAN Y St Alban of St Albans fame
20. GRILLE e.g. backwards around rill. This one got all up in ours and took a while to solve
21. ECHIDNAS (chased in)*. A new word for us, ‘an Australian toothless, spiny, egg-laying, burrowing monotreme’, apparently
2. WIT HAL
3. COMMENCE ‘commerce’ with an ‘n’ rather than an ‘r’
4. PROSAIC ‘o’ in (Paris)*
6. HARD-BOILED EGG Cryptic definition
7. STUD Y and why not?
13. A R B(A)LEST another unfamiliar one, it means ‘a crossbow’
15. LANYARD unsure of the parsing of this: ‘One going over a river secured by light line’
16. CA< ROB
17. C RED IT
19. BOD ICE