Independent 7,294/Dac

Posted by Ali on March 3rd, 2010

Ali.

It’s been a tough week so far in the Indy, but a good one. Dac’s puzzles are generally on the easier side, but never anything less than brilliant. I found the right hand side quite tricky in parts here. There are some great clues as always, 5A being my particular favourite.

1 COPPED – P in COPED
5 PARAGUAY – A in PARA GUY
9 HARASSES – ASS in HARES
10 GRAHAM – (ARMAGH)*
11 BOTTLE – Cryptic def.
12 KREUTZER – Double def. I had to cheat on this one, having never heard of the sonata or the medieval coin!
14 GROUNDSHEETS – ROUND SHE in GETS
17 OPEN SANDWICH – OPEN (golf tourney) + SANDWICH (golf course)
20 MONTAGUE – U in MONTAGE
22 POPPET – POP + PET
23 CINEMA – (MEN)* in C.I.A
25 ACADEMIC – CADE in AMI + C
26 IMPARTED – 1 M, then PARTED
27 ENSIGN – Hidden reversal in traiN GIS NEarly
2 ORATOR – Hidden in mORATORium
3 PLANTAGENET – PLANT (works) + A GENET
4 DESDEMONA – DEMO in (DANE’S)*
5 PUSHKIN – PUSH KIN
6 ROGUE – [-b]ROGUE
7 GOA – GO A[-t]
8 AMARETTO – A.M + OTT ERA rev.
13 TREEHOPPERS – [-c]HEER rev. in TOPPERS
15 SAILPLANE – (PAL IS)* + LANE
16 APHORISM – HO. in A PRISM (character in The Importance Of Being Earnest)
18 DIE HARD – (I HEARD)* + D
19 HEWING – [-t]HE WING
24 ETA – Double def.

6 Responses to “Independent 7,294/Dac”

1. nmsindy says:

Great blog, Ali, and great puzzle, quite difficult esp on the RHS from 12 across downwards. I’d to go for help with that too tho there is apparently a fairly recent film called the 12 across sonata. Favourites COPPER, POPPET, SAILPLANE, HEWING.

Thanks, Ali. I did find this quite tricky and had to quit with four or five left in the NE corner. I guessed 13dn had to be something ending in HOPPERS, but couldn’t see it; and 5dn was amusing. I’ve only come across PET for ill humour in crosswords; here in rural Derbyshire you’re in a MARD, resulting in the excellent compound noun MARD-ARSE to describe someone for whom not all is well with the world.

Very good as always from Dac.

3. Derrick Knight says:

Another excellent puzzle which confirms the wisdom of my switch to the Indy from the Times – hard to do after a lifetimes addiction to the Times crossword.

4. Wil Ransome says:

The usual excellent stuff from Dac. My own fault really, but I took ages to get the Beethoven sonata: for some unaccountable reason I assumed it was a piano sonata, so could only think of Pathetique, Moonlight, Waldstein etc.

5. uncle yap says:

As usual, Dac served up a delightful dish. My only query is POPPET … Chambers does not support “fit of ill humour”

6. Allan_C says:

KREUTZER had me baffled for a bit, but as soon as I got the K from PUSHKIN I could have kicked myself. Useless information dept: Puskin’s compatriot Tolstoy wrote a short story called “The Kreutzer Sonata”.
    Back to the crossword: Favourite clue APHORISM.