Posted by Pete Maclean on March 4th, 2010
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of February 20
The top-left corner of this puzzle took me a while. I especially like 21D.
1. HECUBA – HE-CUB (young male) + A (a)
4. AVE MARIA – A (a) + V (verse) + ME backwards + ARIA (song)
9. TETHYS – THY (solver’s) in SET (group) backwards
10. TRANSACT – T (time) + RANSAC[k] (search thoroughly, king missing) + T (time)
12. ATHENIAN – HEN (bird) + I (one) both in A TAN (effect of a holiday in the sun)
15, 16, 13, 23. KEEP THEMSELVES TO THEMSELVES – KEEP (look back) + THE (the) + MS (text) + EL (the Spanish) + VEST (cover) + OT (books) + HEMS (borders) + ELVES (fairies)
20. HEAT – HE (man) + A (a) + T (T)
25. BULLETIN – homophone (“bully”) + TIN (canned)
27. ACTIVITY – A (one) + CT (caught) + IT (it) in IVY (creeper)
28. IMPALA – IMP (devil) + A LA (in the style of)
29. KING LEAR – KIN (family) + L (50) in GEAR (items)
30. EXTEND – EX (old) + TEND (nurse)
1. HATRACK – [marc]H + A (a) + TRACK (course)
2. CATCHMENT – CAT (queen maybe) + HM (queen) in CENT (a hundred)
3, 19a. BUY ONE GET ONE FREE – anagram of GREEN BEEF YOU NOTE
5. VERB – BREV[iary] (half of holy book) backwards
6. MANPOWER – anagram of POEM WARN
7. REACH – double definition
8. ARTEMIS – ART (painting) + ME (setter) backwards + IS (is)
11. DASH OFF – DASH (bribe) + OFF (not available). Cinephile is very good at clues of this type!
14. IMPETUS – IM (setter’s) + PET (favourite) + US (American)
17. VIENTIANE – anagram of IN E[ast] + NATIVE
18. INTERVAL – [w]INTER (season) + VAL[e] (greetings)
19. GOSHAWK – G (good) + SHAW (playwright) in OK (all right)
21. TYNWALD – TYN[e] (British river, not East) + WALD (German forest). The Tynwald is the Isle of Man’s parliament.
22. CLIMAX – homophone (“climb axe”)
24. LATIN – hidden word. Do we take “in” as a hidden containment indicator (as in “in flating”) or is there simply not one?
26. STOA – STOA[t] (Manx mammal). Is “Manx” in this context a standard crossword-puzzle indicator for a missing tail that we just have to accept? If so, it is one I do not recall coming across before. And if not then I think it is an insupportable mechanism that I will vehemently argue against.