Independent 7,295 by Mordred

Posted by Simon Harris on March 4th, 2010

Simon Harris.

An interesting one this, I think – neither too hard nor too easy, though for several the answer came more easily than the explanation.

There’s a Nina across the third and antepenultimate rows of the grid, a reference to the work of 15ac. It also looks like there may have originally been an attempt to spell out the name of the relevant actor.

7 OCCUR – OC + CUR.
8 DISPOSAL – (PLAIDS SO)*.
11 TRIPOLI – TRIP + OIL*.
12 RETRACT – RE + TRACT.
13 RIVIERA – (I in RIVER) + A?. I don’t think I’ve got to the bottom of this one yet.
14 GREYISH – R[ed j]E[rse]Y in (Lillian) GISH.
15 SERGIO LEONE – (I SEE LOREN GO)*.
20 INHUMANIN + (UM in HAN).
22 INCLINE – IN + (Patsy) CLINE.
24 STEWARD – SET* + WARD.
26 AGELESS – (SEA LEGS)*.
27 FARTHEST – FART + (S[ound] in THE*).
28 V-SIGN – V[ulgar] + SIGN &lit.
1 POTTERY – POTTER + [harr]Y.
2 ACHIEVES – H[enman’s] I[ncreasingly] E[rratic] V[olleys] in ACES.
3 CREOLE – RE in COLE.
4 ADMIRATION – (MOI RADIANT)*.
5 TSAR – [tha]T’S A R[ussian].
6 HAWAII – (AW + AI) in HI.
9 ON THE GO – ON (playing) + THE + GO (card game).
10 ITCHY – [t]ITCHY.
14 GALLIVANTS – IV[y] in GALLANTS.
16 REMNANT – MEN* in RANT.
17 EPIDEMIC – EPI[c] + MEDIC*.
18 FIRST – FIRS + [hu]T.
19 LESSENS – hom. of “lessons”.
21 HEEHAW – cd., I think
23 CLEAVE – C + LEAVE.
25 DOER – strange, the wordplay is [artis]T + O’ER, but the applet, and 24ac, confirm DOER.

15 Responses to “Independent 7,295 by Mordred”

1. sidey says:

25 is Dore with the e raised.

No idea about riviera and even with all the crossing letters Ms Gish didn’t spring to mind. Otherwise rather good.

2. sidey says:

Dore with an e acute that should have been.

3. IanN14 says:

Thanks, Simon.
    Not totally sure about 13ac. either. There is a River Bug in Ukraine…
    I think 25d. refers to this artist.
    Were you suggesting:
    CLIN
    T E-WARD?

4. IanN14 says:

Sorry sidey…

5. sidey says:

Ha, finally beaten Mr Graun Genius to something! You’ve done it already I presume? ;)

6. IanN14 says:

Yes, I have sidey,
    Not nearly as early as before, though…

7. IanN14 says:

Or, Simon, did you mean “CRINT” down the second row?
    (A suggestion of a “chow mein” western, perhaps?)
    Also, (Lee) VAN “CLEAVE” is in there too…

I’ll get me coat.

Managed to finish this one eventually, but put in DOER, RIVIERA and GREYISH without understanding why. I thought 21d was very odd, and some of the other clueing was a bit convoluted. Never heard of Ms Gish, but no doubt there’ll be some who’ve never heard of Ms Cole either. But not a bad puzzle at all.

9. anax says:

RIVIERA
    IanN14 is on the right track – it is indeed the River Bug, so wordplay is RIV(I)ER + A(way).
    Nice to see A being used like this; we’ll now have to be on the lookout for H, W, L, D etc.

10. IanN14 says:

Thanks anax,
    I thought that had to be right, but just thought Bug was a bit obscure…

11. Ali says:

Thanks Simon and all for the explanations. I need a few guesses to finish this one off.

Further to what Mordred himself said yesterday, this is exactly the kind of puzzle that makes me glad the Indy is now my first port of call. There are some great &lits in here and a nice Nina (which was a massive help in opening up the tougher lower part of the grid!). Great stuff.

12. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was a good puzzle, which I did not find too hard, tho not being too familiar with 15 across or indeed films generally tho I had heard of Ms Gish. Favourites, ADMIRATION, STEWARD, TSAR among others.

13. beermagnet says:

For those of you who might have only seen Lillian Gish on the silent Silver Screen may I recommend you partake of the following link where you will experience Miss Gish at approx 1:40
    ‘My Brother Makes The Noises For The Talkies’

14. IanN14 says:

Thanks beermagnet.
    Great stuff…

15. Bill says:

Struggled with bottom left.21 and 25d especially but happy with the rest.Favourite 3d