Financial Times 13,326 / Bradman

Posted by shuchi on March 5th, 2010

shuchi.

As always, an entertaining, challenging puzzle from Bradman. Required plenty of research/help to get this finished.

Some lovely clues in here, and one that I cannot fully explain (24A).

1 MADAME ME (this person) with ADAM (foremost of sinners) at heart. One tends to think of the masculine first unless the gender is specified; I like how this clue subverts that line of thought.
4 TRIPOD TRIP + OD. ‘trip’ is slang for the influence of a hallucinogenic drug, esp. LSD, and OD = overdose (too much of it). ‘tripod’ a 3-legged support. ‘needed’ is to help with the surface only, it seems.
8 PLANETS PLANE (aircraft) (SIT)< – I, with ‘travellers covering many miles’ as the inventive definition for PLANETS.
9 ENDORSE END (the last) + HORSE (Derby runner, maybe) without its first letter.
11 CRAZY HORSE ‘heros’, possibly => crazy horse, a reverse anagram. Wikipedia helped with this clue. Crazy Horse was a war leader who participated in the Battle of the Little Bighorn, where Custer was defeated.
12 HAIL dd
13 RANGE ORANGE (fruit) – O (round)
14 SKITTLES (LET SKIRTS – R)*. Pins used in the game of skittles, a British form of ninepins.
16 OFF-PISTE Reverse anagram of ‘I step’, similar in style to 11A. ‘off-piste’ => on an unprepared, trackless area away from regular ski runs.
18 PICOT PIC (illustration) OT (introducing Genesis etc). From Britannica online, on Genesis in the Old Testament: “Genesis narrates the primeval history of the world (chapters 1–11) and the patriarchal history of the Israelite people”. The word ‘picot’ is familiar to any local Indian tailor; the edges of new sarees and dupattas are picoted before they’re worn. For years I had taken ‘picot’ to be a Hindi word, till I came across it in crosswords.
20 BRUM B (No. 2) RUM (funny) – a common name for Birmingham, the second largest (No. 2) city in the UK. Thanks to Gaufrid for explaining this, couldn’t have got it myself!
21 CROISSANTS I in CROSS (angry), ANTS (workers)
23 WINKLES WINK (send positive body message) LES (‘the’ in French)
24 BUSTLER ? QUITTER QUITE (absolutely) R (right), around T (time, being short). Hat-tip to Mike04 for the answer.
25 GANTRY NAG (worry) reversed, TRY (attempt)
26 WEAR ON WE A RON (little fellow)

1 MILER SMILER (happy-looking type) – S (succeeded)
2 DENIZEN DEN (study) I (one) ZEN (form of Buddhism)
3 MATCHLESS d&cd. A team with waterlogged pitch will be without a match, therefore MATCH-LESS.
5 RINSE hidden in ‘summeR IN SEa’
6 PROPHET sounds like PROFIT (benefit)
7 DISSIDENT (DIN DESIST)*
10 PRESSED ON PRESSE (a fruit juice) DON (Bradman).  PRESSÉ is in COED (but not Chambers or Collins) – “a drink made from freshly squeezed fruit juice, sugar and ice”.
13 REFERRING dd
15 IMPOSTURE (SOT)* in IMPURE (dirty)
17 PUMPKIN A devious cd, from the Cinderella story in which the fairy Godmother magically turned a pumpkin into a coach. My initial answer here was PULLMAN, which made the bottom-left of the grid even harder to finish.
19 CHAPTER CHAP (fellow) TIER (row) – I. The books of the Bible (of which OT and NT are best known among crossword solvers) are divided into chapters, generally a page or two in length.
21 CHEER CH (church) E’ER (always). Smooth surface, and one of the easiest to solve today.
22 THEGN THE GIN (spirit) – I. A person ranking with an earl’s son, holding lands of the king. Also called ‘thane’.

11 Responses to “Financial Times 13,326 / Bradman”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Shuchi
    The only entry at 24ac that I can parse is SURTEES – T (time) in SURE (absolutely right) ES[se] (being short) – with the ‘one not hanging around’ referring to John Surtees, the former motorcycle racer and Formula One driver who won world championships on both two and four wheels.

In 11ac I think you meant to write ‘heros’ rather than ‘shore’ as the anagram fodder.

2. MIke04 says:

Thanks shuchi
    I think 24 ac is QUITTER (QUITE R round T)

3. Gaufrid says:

Hi Mike04
    You are probably right, I didn’t think Bradman would be so obscure as to include the answer I proposed. However, both Chambers and COED only define ‘quitter’ as “a person who gives up easily”, rather than someone who leaves. Fortunately there is a way round this because, as well as this definition, Collins also has ‘deserter’ which could equate with ‘one not hanging around’.

4. Mike04 says:

Hi Gaufrid
    I hoped that a ‘quitter’ was also a ‘departer’ as Chambers gives ‘to depart’ under the intransitive verb ‘quit’.

Thanks, Shuchi

24ac was the one I couldn’t do and, seeing Gaufrid’s explanation, was quite happy to go along with that, faute de mieux, but I now think that both suggestions work for me.

Weighing them up, I agree that SURTEES is rather obscure, particularly when clued with only half ['short!'] of ESSE, which is not among the most common of words, in any case. On the other hand, SURE sounds more ‘absolutely right’ to me than ‘quite’ [but I think I’m probably being beguiled by its other [and almost opposite] meaning of ‘fairly’ – which can, itself, be ambiguous!]

Interesting – perhaps Don will drop by to enlighten us. :-)

6. Gaufrid says:

Eileen
    The first definition for ‘quite’ in COED is ‘absolutely’ and ‘right’ gives the final R so I am sure that Mike04 is correct.

7. smiffy says:

Always funny to compare experiences – I chucked in QUITTER straight off, without any checkers, and moved obliviously along.

20A gave me a laugh, and even 8A raised a wry smile (attributable to personal experience, alas!)
    Also, isn’t 13D a pun (ref erring), rather than a double def’n?

Gaufrid

Quite right!! :-) I hadn’t read Mike’s explanation carefully enough and had missed the R.

9. Tony Welsh says:

Re. 8ac, this isn’t really an “inventive” definition as suggested above, because the word derives from the Greek for wanderer or traveler. They included the sun and the moon among the “wanderers” which moved about relative to the fixed stars.

10. shuchi says:

Thanks everyone for your comments. With hindsight, QUITTER seems obvious and I can’t imagine why I didn’t think of it.

@Gaufrid: Fixed the typo at 11ac. Thanks also for the info on John Surtees, I spent some time reading up about him on the net. He had a most impressive racing career!

11. Bradman says:

Belated thanks for feedback –I’ve been away. Surprised by QUITTER problem, but 3/7 checking doesn’t help, does it?