Everyman No. 3309 (28th February).

Posted by The Trafites on March 7th, 2010

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Loved this weeks crossword as I did it really fast, which gives me the illusion that I am highly intelligent (Hee Hee) :)  Hope you all like the new format of including the clues.
BTW, this is the Trafites last blog as singletons, we are getting married on the 17th March :)

Legend to solution comments:
*  =  anagram.
<  =  word reversed.

1. Widely admired tree round university (7)
POPULAR POPLAR around U
5. Wear out short military overalls (7)
FATIGUE FATIGUE(s)
9. Bird in farmhouse larder (5)
OUSEL hidden: farmhOUSE Larder
10. George, with trendy friend, meeting one in gaudy bar (3,6)
GIN PALACE G+IN PAL+ACE
11. What’s bound to put an end to children’s game? (9)
HOPSCOTCH HOP+SCOTCH
12. Military decoration, we hear, for a compere (5)
EMCEE homophone of M.C. (Military Cross)
13. Low, perhaps, a US art critic abroad (12)
CARICATURIST (A US ART CRITIC)*
ref: Sir David Alexander Cecil Low
17, 20. Elephant seal, twice floundering, has to make a fresh start (4,3,5,5)
WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN (ELEPHANT SEAL TWICE)*
21. Take choir out for a kind of tea that may be served in Hanoi (9)
ARTICHOKE (TAKE CHOIR)*
23. Widdicombe Fair chap pointing to fruit in book (3,6)
TOM PEARSE PEARS in TOME
This held me up a bit as Brewer’s spells Pearse as ‘Pearce’
24. Brush stroke (5)
SWEEP dd
25. Reveal former printing machine (7)
EXPRESS EX+PRESS
26. Senator solved crime (7)
TREASON (SENATOR)*
1. Prediction of support by ambassador on Cyprus (8)
PROPHECY PROP+HE+CY
2. Free ticket left with travel document (8)
PASSPORT PASS+PORT
3. Ring up about one flowering shrub (5)
LILAC I in CALL<
4. Reference book – author gets users confused (6,9)
ROGETS THESAURUS (AUTHOR GETS USERS)*
5. The current chefs working in a London station (9,6)
FENCHURCH STREET (THE CURRENT CHEFS)*
6. Goes across with dramatist touring south-east (9)
TRAVERSES TRAVERS around SE
ref: Ben Travers
7. Mineral used to make good long weapon (6)
GLANCE G+LANCE
See GLANCE² in Collins
8. Small opening I, reportedly, must have allowed(6)
EYELET homophone of I with LET
14. All the customers tell niece off (9)
CLIENTELE (TELL NIECE)*
15. Titled lady one’s seen in pubs (8)
BARONESS ONES in BARS
16. Play safe and bowl (5,3)
PETER PAN PETER+PAN
‘peter’ here is slang for a (money) safe
18. Bushwhacker injured chest round end of July (6)
SCYTHE Y in (CHEST)*
I believe ‘chesty’ is the only anagram from ‘scythe’
19. Come together in side at college (4,2)
TEAM UP TEAM+UP
22. Class actors close to home (5)
CASTE CAST+E

9 Responses to “Everyman No. 3309 (28th February).”

1. Simon G says:

Thanks for the blog, Lorraine. I too raced through this and then had the resulting illusion of intelligence shattered by staring blankly at the Guardian prize crossword for half an hour before coming up with my first answer.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding – I’m sure you’ll both get plenty of jokes about not having any cross words…

2. cholecyst says:

Thanks, Lorraine. And congratulations!

I liked the new format of your blog. It certainly helped to jog my memory.

3. Handel says:

Congratulations to you both! Handel are to wed in June – we’re naming our dining tables after our favourite setters!

4. Nathan Jesurasingham says:

Hi Lorraine

Best wishes for the 17th March. Great blog – liked the new format.

Yes, thank you both and congratulations. The Everyman was the crossword that got me back into cryptics a while ago, and your blogs were very helpful at that time (and still are now!)

And I agree: the new format is excellent, so thanks for that too.

6. Andrew Kitching says:

Congrats to you both. Last two in for me were PETER PAN and GLANCE

7. Davy says:

Thanks for the blog Lorraine and although I do finish Everyman pretty quickly most weeks, there are always a couple of clues to stop me in my tracks. One from this puzzle was PETER PAN which was certainly well-hidden although I did know that PETER=SAFE.

The new format is superb and should be the norm for all crossword blogs. Well done Lorraine.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding and it must be a good omen that it is on St Pat’s day. Like me, I’m sure you have an Irish grandmother too.

8. mhl says:

Congratulations to both of you! (and thanks for all the excellent posts!)

9. mike says:

Wonderful format. Thanks very much.