Independent 7,299/Radian

Posted by Ali on March 9th, 2010

Ali.

Seems to have been a while since I blogged a Radian puzzle, so nice of him to pop up.

There’s a good ornithological theme to this one, with references in many clues and answers. Much like in the real world, I often come a cropper with birds in the crossworld and had to double-check one or two guesses once I was done, but everything was perfectly solvable from the wordplay here.

1 COCKATOO – C(aught) in OK in (A COOT)*
5 SEESAW – SEE + SAW I think, though not sure if/how ‘now and then’ = SAW
9 COAL TITS – CO (wing’s of COCKATOO) + (A STILT)*
10 DIPPER – PP in (RIDE)*, ref. rollercoasters
12 OPEN – O (duck) + PEN
13 BRENT GOOSE – (David) BRENT + O(hio) in (GOES)*
15 WILLOW WARBLER – W.I’LL + W in (BOWL RARE)*
18 HOORAY HENRIES – (YAHS + HEROIN OR E)*
22 ARCTIC TERN – A + C in (CRITTER) * + N(ormal)
24 BLUE – Odd letters of BiLl UsEd
27 ECCLES – CCL (250) in SEE rev.
28 WHIMBREL – WHIM (caprice) + (Jacques) BREL
29 RUSTIC – (IT’S)* in RUC
30 AL JOLSON – A L(ine) + (J.LO’S)* + ON
1 CUCKOO – COO around [-b]UCK[-s]
2 CRAKE – CRANE with K (Potassium) for N (Nitrogen)
3 ANTS – Hidden in migrANT Species
4 ONTARIO – (TRAIN)* in double O
6 EWING – E(ast) WING, which is opposite the West Wing!
7 SOPHOCLES – (HE + SCOPS O[-w]L)*
8 WAR WEARY – WEAR in WARY
11 SNOW – SNOW[-Y OWL]
14 FLEA – Hidden in yafFLE Alae
16 WOODCOCKS – COCK in WOODS
17 RAIL – LIAR rev.
19 WHEATEAR – A[-berystwyth] in (WEATHER)*
20 NARWHAL – RAN rev. + W[-it]H A L
21 MERLIN – R and L in (MINE)*
23 ICENI – Initial letters of In Coastal England Near Ipswich
25 LARKS – ARK in [-wal]LS[-end]
26 AMMO – M in AMO

10 Responses to “Independent 7,299/Radian”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Ali
    In 5ac, ‘now and then’ gives SEE (notice, present tense) SAW (notice, past tense)

2. Derrick Knight says:

A nice set of clues to go with a well-filled grid. Some interesting definitions e.g. …suffering PTSD?

3. Barbara says:

As usual, the only answer I had any question about wasn’t mentioned.
    19. Huts.
    Lowly lodgings for Rwandans, not last of Zulu.
    Please explain wordplay.

Hi Barbara

It’s HUTUS [Rwandans] minus [zul]U

5. Barbara says:

Thanks, Eileen. I was too lazy to check Google for Rwanda.

6. Ali says:

Sorry, I do usually include all clues, but HUTS must have slipped through the net!

Cheers for explaining 5A too. A very good clue

Second very good Indy crossword of the week, and it’s only Tuesday. Having had an interest in birds (of the feathered variety, natch) when I was younger, this was a good theme for me. SEESAW was inspired, as was the cricketing reference at 15ac. And time hurries on: 29ac wouldn’t have been possible just a few years ago, or so I thought, but found on checking that it was in fact in 2001 that the RUC became the PSNI.

8. Merlyn says:

Loved 15D! A good knowledge of birds was handy – got several without fully expanding the word plays.

18A good too.

I like PTSD (Post Traumatic Stres Disorder) for War weary now that I see the answer (actually thought it was war years – wary followed by ears as meaning Durham banker, but couldn’t work out why)

9. Marilyn says:

I might have stood a chance if there hadn’t been different numbers for clues 15, 16 and 17 down. In my paper 15 was woodcock, 16 rail, and 17 was wheatear. How does that happen?

10. Marilyn says:

Ooops Forget I said that . It was the answers that had the wrong clue numbers. No excuse for me!