Financial Times 13,321 by Cincinnus

Posted by Pete Maclean on March 11th, 2010

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of February 27

The nominees for best charade are 17A, 18A, 21A and 8D. And the winner is 8D! For best anagram or anagram-combination, the nominees are 9A, 14A and 3D. And the award goes to 9A. Finally, 9A, 8D and 27D are nominated for best overall clue. And the gong goes to 27D!!!

9. CONTRALTO – LT (officer) in anagram of CARTOON
10. PETRA – PET (one favoured) + RA (academy)
11. ILL USED – anagram of SULLIED
12. GIVE OUT – double definition
13. PEG – double definition
14. WHITE COLLAR – anagram of ACTOR WILL HE
17. GOT AT – T[oast] in GOAT (butter)
18. PAD – PA (Father) + [te]D
19. ADMIN – AD (short notice) + MIN (little time)
21. TOWER BRIDGE – TOW (drag) + ER (queen) + BRIDGE (game)
23. NOD – DON (Bradman) backwards
25. SIROCCO – anagram of OSRIC + CO (commander)
27. ARCHAIC – ARCH (roguish) + CIA (spies) backwards
28. ENNIS – [t]ENNIS
29. ATTENTION – AT TEN (on the hour) + IT (it) backwards + ON (on)

1. SCRIMP – SHRIMP (seafood) with C (cold) replacing H (hot)
2. IN FLIGHT – IN (popular) + F (fellow) + LIGHT (window)
3. FRESH WATER – SERF (one who’s bound) backwards + anagram of THE RAW
4. GLAD – GLAD[iolus]
5. LONG HEADED – HEAD (boss) in LONGED (yearned)
6. SPIV – VIPS (big shots) backwards
7. STROLL – S[ea] + TROLL (fish)
8. CAST IRON – ASTIR (moving) in CON (do)
15. IMPERSONAL – anagram of POLAR MINES
16. OPALESCENT – O (ring) + PALE (faint) + SCENT (aroma)
17. GO TO SEED – GO TO SEE (visit) + D (daughter)
20. MANDARIN – triple definition
22. WIRING – W[est] I[ndian] + RING (band)
24. DECENT – DE CENT (“of 100″ in French)
26. CASE – double definition
27. ACTS – double/cryptic definition. In the New Testament, the book Acts is followed by the book Romans.

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,321 by Cincinnus”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

As ever, thanks Pete for the blog.
    You must be the Blogger-In-Residence for Cincinnus, I guess.

This crossword was as Cincinnus as Cincinnus can be.
    High quality, very precise, smiling (and, I must admit, sometimes a bit boring because of all this evenness).
    Today we solved Alberich, and we wondered why a really challenging setter like A, never gets the appropriate Saturday spot in the FT.

Anyway, lots to admire here.

My Best Anagram Award goes surely to 15d (POLAR MINES) – even just reading the clue feels like Antarctica.
    And Charade Of The Day, for me, is 18ac with its Father Ted reference.
    Probably the finest construction’s seen in 29ac (ATTENTION).
    Nice to see Cincinnus give a ‘nod’ to one of his colleagues in 23ac.

But a critical note as well.
    Describing half of ‘Gladiolus’ as ‘little flower’ is not very elegant. And although normally Cincinnus is a very accurate setter, I put a question mark to the use of ‘with’ in 4d.
    I know, it’s all about the surface, but here? Mwah.

Finally, Pete, sorry to say that your winner 27d (ACTS) was – IMHO – very ordinary.

2. Sil van den Hoek says:

In 15d I meant of course (IMPERSONAL), not (POLAR MINES).
    But it’s still very cold. Brrr.

3. Cincinnus says:

Thanks to Pete, Cincinnus blogger in residence, for the blog. Very good as always.

Thanks also to Sil, for the continuing support.

With regard to 4 down, I plead not guilty. ‘Little flower’ was not an instruction to take some of the letters from ‘gladiolus’. GLAD is in Chambers as an informal shortened form of ‘gladiolus’. So ‘little flower’ is quite justified, in my view. And ‘with’ as a link between two parts of a double definition clue is also, I believe, quite legitimate.

4. Pete Maclean says:

>> Nice to see Cincinnus give a ‘nod’ to one of his colleagues in 23ac.

I agree although I did not mention it because it was not really clear that it was intended to be a reference to Don Manley as opposed to Don Bradman.

Sil, your comment about 4D did set me thinking but I end up totally with Cincinnus. I happen to have a slight but curious history with gladioli. My mother told me when I was a boy that the first “long” word I uttered as a child was gladioli. I thought it mighty strange both that she should have noticed and remembered this and also that I should have spoken that particular word. Anyway, I am very familiar with the shortened version of the term and gladly accept the clue.

Oh, and I was also a big fan of Father Ted and did enjoy seeing him worked into 18A.

5. Sil van den Hoek says:

Pete, I am with you now re 4d.
    Didn’t know that ‘glad’ was a contraction for ‘gladiolus’.
    But it is in Chambers, so I should have looked it up first.

6. Sil van den Hoek says:

Oh, and apologies to Cincinnus (I really didn’t see your post #3).
    And don’t worry (well, you won’t, I guess), my support will continue.
    Why that is, I explained several times before on other occasions.

While people are normally very favourable towards Orlando crosswords, Cincinnus (with the same high quality, beautiful surfaces, wrongfootings, sublime anagrams – but perhaps a little less tricky) often seems to be overlooked by the masses on this website.
    Unjustly so.