Independent 7302/Phi

Posted by John on March 12th, 2010

John.

An unusually large number of words that I hadn’t really heard of in the usual nice Phi offering. The pairs of four-letter answers at top R and bottom L suggest something, but I can’t see anything.

1 HARPOONS — Harpo (son)*
5 SCOTCH — 2 defs
9 NO {{Chamber}s}TATION
10 BOO KI{t}E — a kite is a fraudulent cheque, although Chambers only seems to give it as an informal verb
12 MUSICAL(SAW)S — had never heard of them, but here we are

1 H AND M ({sal}E) DOWN
2 ROT(1)S SERIE{s}
3 OPTIC — topic with the t moved
4 NEOCLASSICAL — (once Callas is)*
6 CROSS (B) RED
7/8 TAKE HE{w}ED
11 LANGUE DE CHAT — (lunch tea aged)* — had never heard of this biscuit, but here’s how to make them
13 NOW VOYAGER
14 STE(RIL{l} IS)ED
16 {p}RET(1 C)ENCE
21 bordeR AM I Exasperated — hidden, this less than common plant
22/23 STEM TURN — (tum)* in stern — not being a skier or much interested in it I hadn’t heard of this

11 Responses to “Independent 7302/Phi”

1. NealH says:

I found this very difficult, especially the left side. Like you, I know next to nothing about skiing (my one attempt at it was an abysmal failure), so the bottom-left corner proved really tough for me. Getting musical saws was the crucial thing for me – one of those clues which are actually quite easy, but the answer seems so unlikely.

Having a shop that does specialist musical saws almost seems to defeat the object of using a household object like a saw as a musical instrument.

Yep, a tough puzzle which I had to give up on with about half a dozen left. Didn’t help myself with the skiing term by reading the clue as ‘turn’ and not ‘tum’. Trip to opticians coming soon.

Thanks for blogging, John.

3. pat says:

I’m not happy with the ski manoeuvre. TURN can’t be in both clue and answer like this – it goes against all crossword principles.

4. Peter says:

Pat – it’s TUM, not TURN. I misread it first time round too.

5. NealH says:

Turn isn’t even in the clue. As John said, it’s tum (which is anagrammed in stern).

6. Derrick Knight says:

I specs lots of us had a visual problem with 22/23. Tum tee tum

7. Matthew says:

Seven clues involving unfinished/incomplete words? Always nice to be reminded that my week wasn’t as productive as it should have been. (Thanks, John, for explaining “Chambers Station” for an American; one of these days I should just print out a Tube map and tack it to the wall.)

NealH: Special-made musical saws are, indeed, kind of like $500 cigar-box guitars, but there is a difference: they’re longer (more notes available to play) and thinner (much less tiring keeping the S-curve in the blade). I prefer toying around on the hardware-store model, teeth and all. Any music-making that carries with it the possibility of bloodletting is OK by me.

8. Ali says:

I found this the toughest puzzle of the week, eventually admitting defeat after an hour with around 6 unfinished. Did myself no favours thinking that 5a was SQUASH! Nice puzzle though.

9. aferick says:

Don’t be ridiculous. 10ac and 7/8d are absurd

10. Colin Saunders says:

Far from being absurd, I thought 10A and 7/8D the best in the puzzle.

11. nmsindy says:

I found this much harder than Phi usually is, with the double answers in SW and NE corners particularly difficult but very satisfying when solved – I too had tum and turn doubts once or twice so I’d say there’s nothing wrong with anyone’s eyesight – may have been the way it was printed on the day.

Challenging and enjoyable puzzle.