Everyman 3310

Posted by Arthur on March 14th, 2010

Arthur.

Well, I for one think this one was a bit more challenging than the last few that I’ve blogged. A couple of nice cryptic definitions, and some slightly more obscure words both as solutions and part-solutions. My only complaint would be the level of geographic knowledge required with various place names and a currency (and even a baseball team) which, as much as you can use the wordplay and go “it really must be this”, if you don’t know, the only thing to do is look it up. But generally this was very nicely put together.

1 FAME - F(l)AME
3 WET BLANKET - WET + BLANKET
9 RED CARPET – REDCAR + PET
11 COLON – COLON(y)
12 EQUERRY - E + QUERY around R
13 ONE DAY – ADOYEN*
15 COSMETIC SURGERY - cd
17 PERSONAL PRONOUN – [ORLEANSONRUN + POP]*
20 UNTIDY - UN + TIDY ref. Bill Tidy
21 PEP PILL – PP + ILL after P.E.
23 ALOOF – A + FOOL<
24 ART DEALER – AREDALERT*
25 DONER KEBAB – DONE + BAKER* + B(istro)
26 ISLE – hidden in thIS LEash
1 FIRE ESCAPE – cd
2 MEDIUMS – dd
4 EMPTY - hidden in unkEMPT Yobbos
5 BOTTOMS UP - BOTTOM + S + UP ref. A Midsummer Night’s Dream
6 ARC DE TRIOMPHE - TAPERECORDHIM*
7 KILDARE – “KILLED + AIR”
8 TUNA – NUT< + A
10 AGREE TO DISAGREE – A + GREET + OFFER around D.I.
14 BY AND LARGE – ANYGARBLED*
16 IN ANY CASE – [IN + NY] around A + CASE
18 RANGOON – RAN + GO ON
19 ORIOLES – O + ROLES around I
21 PETRA - PET + RA
22 BAND - dd

Common crossword abbreviations this week:

left = L
European = E
king = R
son = S
ring = O
artist = RA

7 Responses to “Everyman 3310”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Arthur, talking about geographic knowledge, why (or where) is REDCAR a resort (9ac)?

And can you please explain, why ‘weaver’ apparently is equal to ‘bottom’ (5d)?

2. Arthur says:

Redcar is a seaside resort in NE England (Quite near to Whitby, Scarborough, Saltburn etc.)

Bottom is the main comic character in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and is a weaver. He is one of a troupe of tradesmen (the mechanicals) who venture into the forest to rehearse a play, ends up being partly transformed into an ass and then the queen of the fairies (Titania) falls in love with him due to being spiked with a love potion while she is sleeping.

With both of these clues (for me at least) it was a getting the answer and then noticing that they contained Redcar and Bottom rather than going “weaver, well that will be Bottom, then…”

3. Andrew K says:

Must have been on ‘Everyman’s’ wavelength for this one. Completed without any aids. Even ‘COLON’, but the wordplay for that one is straightforward.

I am a bit stuck on this week’s offering though!

Hi Sil

I’ve seen Bottom = weaver several times in crosswords, the most recent being Guardian 24,938, on 19th February: “Last one Puck made an ass of [6]“. [It was Puck, in the play, who gave Bottom the ass's head.] This was particularly clever, as Puck was the compiler.

It’s worth knowing the names and occupations of the other rude mechanicals, too: Snug [joiner] Peter Quince [carpenter] Francis Flute [bellows-mender] Tom Snout [tinker] Robin Starveling [tailor].
    In Guardian 24,582, Araucaria had “Cosy joining one in 14[4]“. ['14' was 'Shakespeare'.]

5. Sil van den Hoek says:

Arthur & Eileen, many thanks for enlightening me!

Hoi Sil @ no 5.

I think you can be forgiven for not knowing Redcar as a resort – I come from that part of the world and it wouldn’t be first on my list of seaside towns … but the clue was pretty gettable without knowing that, I suppose.

I found today’s not too tricky.

Thanks for blogging, Arthur.

7. Andrew Kitching says:

For me, todY’s puzzle has been much tougher than last week. Look forwRd to the analysis next week.