Independent 7307/Dac

Posted by John on March 18th, 2010

John.

An unusual Thursday appearance for Dac, caused by the jiggling necessary to fit in Virgilius’s St Patrick’s Day crossword on Wednesday, so this must be one of the gentler Thursday offerings; but surely as good as any.

1 B OUNCE
4 QUI P{o}STER
9 C{upid} OME(0)N — nice &lit.
10 JO(HAN{d})NES
11 DIVER GENT — this is easy enough, but I went down the wrong path by thinking that various led to divers
13 T RICE — Sir Tim
14 WENT TO PIECES — 2 defs — the pieces are chessmen
18 MADEMOISELLE — is in (male model)*, e{vent}
21 RANGE — 2 defs
22 SAFETY PIN — (yes if pant{s})*
24 STEGODON — (n(o dog)et’s)rev.
25 ON LINE — (El Nino)* — I was surprised that it is given as two words — surely the surface refers to the internet
26 S(IDE D IS)H
27 DR AGON{y}

1 BACK DOWN — 2 defs
2 UNMOVING — 2 defs — if something fails to move you it doesn’t move you to tears
3 CH O{rgan}(1)R{ecital}
5 UP ON THE ROOF — ref. Fiddler on the Roof and also the song Up on the Roof
6 PEAR TREES — (Repartee’s)*
7 TINT IN
8 RU SHE’D — the game is very often rugby union
12 EXPRESSIONS — 2 defs
15 TRAPEZOID — trap (d(1)oze)rev.
16 S(L)IPPING
17 SEAN PENN — “shorn pen”
19 CR IS IS
20 IN T{HE} END
23 thaT ONE Regularly — hidden

8 Responses to “Independent 7307/Dac”

1. IanN14 says:

Thank you John.
    As good as always, and pangrammatic too…

Super puzzle as always from Dac, which I spoiled by putting SEAN BEAN in for 17dn. Memo to self: read the clue, as this normally leads to the correct answer.

3. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was good as always from Dac, not too hard, TRAPEZOID and STEGODON (new word to me that I got from the wordplay) were my last answers.

4. Derrick Knight says:

Enjoyable as always from Dac. Favourites 13 across and 17 down.

5. Merlyn says:

Liked 13A – Right and side easier than left.

Please can someone explain:

1A See black feline jump = bounce
    and
    26A Mum = SH (now i see the answer I understand “ide D is”, but did not complete as I had not heard of the fish)

6. IanN14 says:

Merlyn,
    1ac. B (black) + Ounce (a type of wild cat) = Bounce (jump).
    26ac. SH (Be Quiet = “Keep Mum”).

7. Colin Blackburn says:

Excellent puzzle. Once I realised the grid was likely to be pangrammatic I knew my last two answers had to feature Z and J respectively.
    13ac was easy but probably my favourite.
    Merlyn: IDE is a popular fish with crossword setters. It fills many a gap.

Colin

8. Merlyn says:

Ian – many thanks – it seems ‘obsure fauna’ is a reference book that I need to look into!