Inquisitor 1116: ? by Hypnos

Posted by kenmac on March 19th, 2010

kenmac.

Once a year, on average, two like-minded friends (I and
A) and myself (K) meet for an
IKA weekend of crosswords and beer. This year we chose to meet
in my home town, Edinburgh and, coincidentally, it was my week to blog the
Inquisitor. Allowing for diversions, like “whose round is it?” and long,
rambling anecdotes, we polished off IQ1116 in just over an hour. Perhaps
I and A will find time to add their comments
later.

So, on to the puzzle itself. The title is a single question mark
(?) The preamble tells us that the wordplay in all, except 8,
clues lead to an extra letter and the remaining 8 contain a single extra word.
The extra letters define the theme word and the extra words lead to the
“component parts” of the thematic items. The thematic
items themselves (4 of them) are to be entered around the perimeter, unclued of
course. And the theme word has to be highlighted in the final grid.

So, the perimeter spelt out EGGHEADS,
UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE, MASTERMIND and ONLY
CONNECT
. All of them are QUIZ programmes on BBC TV,
though I’ve never heard of, let alone seen, ONLY
CONNECT
. So, QUIZ is the theme word. The extra letters
spell out BANDALORE, BIT OF BANTER, HOAX and MOCKING
LOOK
, each of which is a definition of QUIZ.
QUIZ has to be highlighted in the grid reading left to right
from the centre square.

The 8 extra words (and the component parts they define, nicely in order) are:
MINE:EGG,
FACILITIES:HEADS, ACADEMY:UNIVERSITY, DISPUTE:CHALLENGE, SEASON:MASTER,
DISLIKE:MIND, JUST:ONLY and
ASSOCIATE:CONNECT.

We found the cluing to be fairly easy and it didn’t trouble us too much,
despite the beer. The only query is 30a YO-HO.

No. Extra
Letter/Word
Answer Wordplay
9 B TRAIN T[rancduce]+RABIN (PM: Yitzhak
Rabin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabin)
10 MINE LAMP M[iner] inside LAP (hollow)
11 A T-BAR TAB+A+R[ule]
12 N CAT-O-NINE-TAILS A TITANIC NELSON (anag)
14 FACILITIES TICCA TIC[k] (credit)+CA (accountant)
15 D NEEDS ED[itor] inside NEDS
18 A SECT SECA[n]T
20 L ARDEB LAR[d] (fat)+DEB[utante]
23 O TAMIS OT (old testament)+AMIS (author:
Kingsley Amis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsley_Amis)
24 R OUSE Double definition: OUSE (river) ROUSE (put in action)
25 E MAQUI Hidden word: soME A
QUIntessential
26 B ZINC INC[orporated] inside ZB (zum
Beispiel: for example.) Thanks to I’s knowledge of foreign
languages.
28 I GLINT GLI[b] (facile)+NIT (fool)
29 T CREME MT (Montana) inside CREE (Native
American!)
30 O YO-HO OO+HOY (reversed.) We could see
HOY but nothing else – unless OO implies a pair (glasses, maybe)
32 F POPPA POP (shot)+PFA (Professional
Footballers Association)
36 B BOSUN BOB (dock)+SUN (paper)
37 A NURSERY SCHOOL ONLY OUR CHASERS (anag)
38 ACADEMY ORRA OR (men: Other Ranks)+RA (Royal Academy.) Second ACADEMY is the extra
word and definition is “odd in Scotland.”
39 N ERSE NER[o]’S (imperial
figure’s)+E[astern]
40 DISPUTE KERNE KERNE[l] (minus L[atitude])

No. Extra
Letter/Word
Answer Wordplay
1 T GRADE TAD (small amount) inside ERG (measure of work) reversed
2 E GATHERS ETHER (number: something that numbs) inside GAS (empty talk)
3 R ENNIS SINNER reversed (county town of Clare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ennis)
4 SEASON ALICE BAND CE (church)+BAN (prohibit) inside A LID (a hat)
5 H DANCE DAN (level of proficiency obtained)+C[ollege]+HE (man) (actor: Charles Dance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Dance)
6 O UP TO U[niversity]+POTO[o] (bird)
7 A IBISES I (one)+BIASES (prejudices)
8 X VALE AL (man’s name) inside VEX (trouble)
13 M ASSIZE SS (ship) inside MAIZE (yellow colour.) Thanks to A for his doggedness on this one.
16 O SAUCISSES [b]OSS IS CAUSE (anag)
17 DISLIKE SMIR MI (road: M1) inside S[tranrae]R
19 C CANE CANCE[r] (star sign)
20 K AUTO [c]U[t] inside ATOK (skunk)
21 I DELORS EL (Spanish for “the”) inside DORIS (Day)
22 N EMIT ENMIT[y]
27 G IMPLORE GIMP (halt guy: lame guy)+LORE (learning)
28 L GHARRI HAR[d]+GIRL (anag)
31 O ROYST ROY (trendy Australian male)+SOT (drunkard)
32 JUST PUCKA PUCK (good sprite: Robin Goodfellow in Midsummer Night’s Dream)+A[bsolute]
33 O PRONG PRO (favouring)+NOG (tipple)
34 ASSOCIATE TURN Double definition
35 K BEER BE[c]KER (minus C[old]) (tennis star: Boris Becker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Becker.) How appropriate that BEER should have the last word. Thanks I and A – here’s to IKA 2011.

14 Responses to “Inquisitor 1116: ? by Hypnos”

1. Mike Laws says:

OO is a *pair” in cricket – a batsman getting ducks in both innings of a proper game of cricket.

But you’re a bit previous, Ken – in spite of the closing date’s being brought forward, it’s not until Wednesday!

2. kenmac says:

Thanks Mike, though it doesn’t seem to be in Chambers :-(

To explain Mike’s “a bit previous” comment; this post accidentally sneaked out a couple of days early. Mike spotted it quickly enough and the site administrators reeled it back in.

3. nmsindy says:

I found this a little more difficult than Kenmac, finished it in about 3 hours. Very enjoyable puzzle. Clueing was excellent and scrupulously fair. Curiously I got the quiz programmes before the extra words and extra letters which were to lead to them so getting those was essentially for verification. NE corner I found the hardest. Never realised QUIZ had so many other meanings.

I think the setter would not be too unhappy if you took an interest in ONLY CONNECT…

4. kenmac says:

Yeah, I believe it’s on BBC3 or BBC4, which we in Ireland don’t get. :-( It is available on Sky by utilizing “Other Channels” but it then becomes hard to remember it’s on, especially when you’re used to Sky+ which records everything for you or reminds you when it’s on. Can someone let me know exactly when it’s on and I’ll give it a try.

5. HolyGhost says:

Re Comment 2: Chambers has “a score of no runs in both innings of a two-innings match (cricket)” under pair^1, and “pair of spectacles (cricket sl) a duck in both innings” under spectacle.

The route from FACILITIES to HEADS via TOILET took a little while to spot. As did ZB in the wordplay of 26a – solving a two-letter element of the wordplay, one letter of which isn’t entered, is often quite tricky.

6. Mike Laws says:

“Pair” in Chambers – (antepenultimate def of the noun) “a score of no runs in both innings of a two-innings match (cricket)”. It first appeared as simply “a duck in both innings (cricket)” in 1988.

7. Jake says:

Mike Laws,

I’ve only just read on fifteensquared that you’d recommend that I purchase ODQ2. Sorry for my ignorance here, but are you talking about the 2nd edition published in 1953?

Looking at the latest edition 2009, contains quotes by Paris Hilton ???
    and I cannot imagine setters using quotes from her (yet)!

Heres a link to the one I assume you are talking about:

Also, the Brewers ‘Phrase and Fable’ book, is there a specific edition most used by setters that I should also buy?

Tried to email you but got no reply.

Jake.

8. Richard Heald says:

Although nmsindy hinted at it earlier, it’s worth pointing out that Hypnos happens to be one of the question setters for Only Connect, for my money currently the best quiz show on the box. For anyone who doesn’t get BBC4, it’s available to view on the BBC iPlayer.

9. nmsindy says:

Re comment 4, BBC3 and BBC4, are, I understand, available in Ireland to those with the Chorus/NTL cable package (channels 116,117).

10. kenmac says:

Presumably if you live within spitting distance of Dublin (and, maybe, Cork.) Not out here in the sticks.

11. HolyGhost says:

Jake – re Comment 7:

For years I’ve been using the ODQ I bought in 1977 – it is indeed the 2nd edition, published in 1953, but reprinted with revisions several times … my copy says 1975. I also have an Oxford Companion to Eng.Lit. of the same vintage – 4th ed. 1967, reprinted with corrections 1975.

In a recent buying frenzy (and to help spend the UK out of recession), I bought the new Chambers Biographical Dictionary (great) and the 2008 Chambers (11th ed), as well as upgrading to the newest Oxford ref. works above, not to mention the Times Concise Atlas of the World – all with cut-price deals. Brewers is coming for my birthday, and I hope that all that sorts me out for a good few years!

12. Jake says:

HolyGhost

Thanks for replying.

Much respect – Jake.

13. I says:

You’re welcome, K. As I recall (through the haze), the perimeter crumbled early on (while we were still in the Café Royal and possibly still on pint 1). The rest of the puzzle kept us busy for a wee while, but not all day, so it was as well we had the Listener and the EV as backup. Must be the first time I’ve managed all three within 24 hours, so it just shows what collective brainstorming can achieve. I am certain the beer helps, too (up to a point!). See you next year.

14. Hypnos says:

Thanks to Kenmac for his detailed blog and others for comments. Can certainly recommend ONLY CONNECT for anyone with a crosswording mentality who enjoys quizzing – in particular, the associations used in words in the grids have close affinities with the deception used in crossword clues. Shown every Mon at 830pm on BBC4, the current series concludes with the final scheduled on Apr 12.