Azed 1972/SOLVED (7)

Posted by ilancaron on March 21st, 2010

ilancaron.

I have several crossword ambitions, very few of which I’ll actually achieve. E.g. finish the T2 quick crossword in the annual top 10, an all-correct Listener year, win a Times clue competition and… solve and completely understand an Azed. Maybe next time for the last.

1 URCHIN-SNOUTED – (hounds etc ruin)* – hedgehogs and quills and sea-urchins are related obviously.
11 PURIS[m] – I don’t suppose a purist thinks of himself as extremely fastidious (simply, he’s right and we’re all wrong).
13 JUD(O)G,I -It’s what you wear when you’re doing Judo. JUDG. = abbrev(Judges)
15 ABITUR – school-leaving exams in Germany. But wordplay?
16 C,ETANES=rev(Senate) – hydrocarbons.
17 G(AME B)IRD – rev(bema=rostrum) in GIRD
19 TAN,TALUS – a case for drinks kept tantalizingly closed.
20 APOTH(EGMA)TISE – can someone pronounce this for me? EGMA=enigma (Shak.) in (poet has it)*
24 MANY,ATTA[in] – (Masia) encampment
30 PE(RIOT)IC – RIOT in epic*
31 GALA,TEA – a type of cotton fabric. Sexist to assume WI meals always involve TEA?
32 TOR(A)N,A – “… garland of flowers hung between…”. Incorrectly enumerated as (7).
33 I(LICE)S – IS=Iceland. Plural of ilex (shrub).
34 N,AKED – N for knight (in chess) and AKED is archaic ached.
35 ENSORCELL(MEN)T – archaic “bewitching”. MEN in (crones tell)*

2 RUBAI – compound anagram: (RUBAI, aces)* = (Arabic use)* . Persian verse form.
3 CRIM=criminal,BO=boo – slang for Xmas.
4 HI-T,EC – EC is ‘our’ community and I suppose HIT is “inflicted on”. Is the definition “Like industrial-style furnishings”? I feel I’m missing something. Liz below notes that HI-TEC was in fact a design movement in the 70s and 80s — though I couldn’t really find justification in Chambers?
5 NORIT*,E[lvan] – type of rock
6 SA,CRA – rev(arc, as)
7 OUTSTATION – (suit, OTT on a)* – in the outback presumably.
8 [pal]UDAL – paludal is marshy and UDAL is an estate (in the Shetlands).
9 TONAL – hidden
10 DIS(U)SED – my last clue. Took me a while to think of DISSED=”was contemptuous” and U=(Burmese) honorific.
12 SUBCHANTER – (Bach tuners)*
14 GENUS – two definitions with the 2nd a bit punny I suppose… can GENU=knee be pluralized thus?
18 CAM(OG,I)E – hurling for women (no idea what hurling is unless it’s curling on horses?). rev(I, go) in CAME
21 PAPAL – take appal and switch the first two letters and get an adjective describing a pontiff.
22 MAR,TEL – medieval hammer. rev(let ram)
23 INTAK*,E – semi-&lit (at least I didn’t understand Kant in my first year… and later for that matter).
25 NELIS – winter pears – rev(silen=Sylvan god=Pan e.g.)
26 TEA,DE[pot] – archaic torch (I liked “discontinued brand”).
27 JORAM – it’s a large drink but wordplay? “Large drink, a crush spiked with a tincture”.
28 LINE,N – I guess it’s underwear and I suppose a brief note is just a LINE
29 PACO – another compound anagram: (Peru coat)* = (PACO, true)*. Basically an &lit I suppose given that pacos are alpacas from which I assume coats can be made in Peru.

12 Responses to “Azed 1972/SOLVED (7)”

1. Rishi says:

I think 27d resolves itself as: J(OR)AM
    a crush – JAM
    spiked with – insertion indicator
    tincture – OR – ‘gold’ as we know from other crosswords – here ‘tincture’ because the dictionary definition is “the tincture gold or yellow, indicated in engraving and chiselling by dots.”
    In surface reading ‘tincture’ is ‘an alcoholic solution of a drug’ (I remember compounders in clinics dispensing these solutions but nowadays I don’t hear this term much) but in wordplay I think it’s just ‘tinge’ or ‘shade’ (from heraldry).

2. Rishi says:

No, I didn’t make a mistake.
    In the Down set above, the second 27 needs to be fixed, I think.

3. Rishi says:

Can’t resist recording a bit of nostalgia here.

In 27d, the word ‘crush’ in surface reading is consistent as this means ‘a drink made from fruit pulp juice’.

Before the marketing onslaught by multinational companies with their bottled drinks, Chennai streets used to have roadside vendors selling ‘crush’.

A pushcart with the word CRUSH written on the sides. On it a pile of some fruits, a squeezer, an array of bottles containing water coloured with some cheap essence, a pot of water, crushed ice wrapped in gunny sack to keep it from melting too soon, and glasses.

At least in India the word has cheap connotation. If one weren’t poor, one might have bought ‘squash’ at a provision store to be made into a cool drink at home.

I would be interested to know how the word ‘crush’ is used in your country. Do you buy it outside? Or do you make it at home?

4. ilancaron says:

Rishi thanks for clearing up JORAM. The only crushes I had in my youth were on female classmates.

5. Bob Sharkey says:

4D wordplay is HIT + EC(=European Community)

6. Bob Sharkey says:

Re 4D – I’m sorry, you got that, but I agree that the definition is not convincing.

7. Bob Sharkey says:

You have a typo in 13A – I & O need to be switched.

8. ilancaron says:

Thanks Bob. There was another [homophonic] typo: where -> wear as well.

9. Handel says:

15ac. A BIT UR (A bit = rather, and ur = gap filler in speech)

‘The Azed crossword really is the best in the world. But some of these words! You need a dictionary!’

From the Morse episode Death is Now my Neighbour, which we watched last night.

10. Bob Sharkey says:

Oh-ur!

11. liz says:

Thanks, ilancaron. re 4dn Hi-tec (or high tech or hi-tech) was a short-lived style from the late 70s, early 80s that used industrial fittings, fixtures and materials in domestic settings, especially lofts eg rubber flooring, test tubes for vases etc.

My ambition is to get a good run of finished and correct AZEDS. Missed the ‘a’ of ‘abitur’ in this one. Thanks for explaining the wordplay in the places where I didn’t see it.

12. Rishi says:

Chambers (1998) has
    high tech or hi tech n a style or design of furnishing, etc imitative of or using industrial equipment. adj high-tech or hi-tec