Independent 7310 by Glowworm

Posted by NealH on March 22nd, 2010

NealH.

This was one of those puzzles where I spent more time working out the logic behind some of the answers than I did filling in the grid. 13, 19 and 27 all gave me a few problems in that regard and I’m still lost on what 10 across is referring to. There was obviously a Jules Verne theme, although the NINA (top and bottom row) is given to the actor who played 16/9 in 2/20/4/5 rather than Verne himself.

6 Prairie: Hom “prayer” + i.e.
7 Nears: Ear in n (new) S.
10 Unpriested: (pert undies)*. I’ve never heard of this and am struggling to find anything about it on the web.
11 Hotted up: H + OTT + E + DUP. This one seemed a little strange, esp with hot appearing in both the clue and the answer.
13 Handle: Candle with c (cold) changed to h (hot).
15 Spar: DD.
17 Palsy: Pals + y.
18 Aida: A (anonymous) + Ida. Ida refers to Princess Ida, a Gilbert & Sullivan production. G & S operas are also known as Savoy operas because they were first staged at the Savoy theatre.
19 Vinyls: Viny + l[ong] + s[inuous].
23 Mesmerises: (Seem remiss)*, although blocking as an anagram indicator seems a bit of a stretch. It can mean to shape on a block or sketch out roughly, so maybe that is the meaning here.
26 Iota: Hidden in audio tape.
27 Storm: St + [do]orm[at], although I only worked out doormat retrospectively by using a word matching program to look for words of the form ?orm? and then ??orm??.
28 Inroad: Inro (a Japanese pill box) + ads.
1 Daughterly: Ugh in date + rly. The Rly is a reference to the Bluebell railway line.
2/20/4/5 Around the World in Eighty Days: (Ghostwriter in one day had duly)*.
3 Veep: Hidden in compulsive epic – ref to former Vice President, Al Gore.
6 Photo: Hot in po. Chamber can be used as an abbreviation for chamberpot.
8 Shelled: Sh + elle + d (deserted).
12 Pilot: Even letters of “uphill route”.
14 Neapolitan: Neap + Latino*.
16/9 Phileas Fogg: (Gigaflops he)*.
17 Pastrami: (Marts in Ia p)<.
21 Ensure: Usern[am]e*.
22 Lotus: Lot + us (referring to the Lotus position in yoga).
24 Moon: Mo + on. Verne wrote From the Earth to the Moon and also David Niven’s autobiography was called The Moon’s a Balloon.
25 Spiv: VIPs<.

13 Responses to “Independent 7310 by Glowworm”

Hi Neal

In 10ac, the definition is ‘lay’ = UNPRIESTED

Thanks, Neal. I did enjoy solving this one, but I think there were a few strange clues. UNPRIESTED couldn’t be anything else, and I understood the ‘lay’ definition, but the word isn’t in my dictionary. I share your qualms about 11ac (for me, if someone’s animated, they’re heated up if anything). L and S as ‘pieces of long, sinuous’ would have the anti-Araucaria brigade over at the Grauniad in a frenzy; similarly ORM for ‘submissive type giving heart’. And I still can’t see PO for chamber(pot).

But 13ac is brilliant now you’ve explained it; the surfaces in 14dn and 21dn were cracking; and I learnt a new word in INRO. So all in all, a good start to the week, thank you Glow-worm.

3. Glow-worm says:

Thanks to Neal and Kathryn’s Dad for your comments.

On occasions, Eimi kindly lets me potter about in Chambers, rather than his preferred Collins. There you’ll find “unpriest” as a verb – hence “unpriested”.

As you might expect, Chambers is good on gazunders: “chamber”, as Neal says, can be short for “chamber-pot”; and “po” is there (and in Collins) as an informal term for this once essential article! (Our only loo, when I was a kid, was downstairs, rather primitive, and jolly cold….)

Kind regards to all

Glow-worm

4. Derrick Knight says:

I enjoyed this and the Ninas helped. Two very inventive ways of expressing straightforward clues: 26 Across – always difficult to find new ways to indicate hidden words; and 12 Down for alternate letters.

5. nmsindy says:

I enjoyed this too, which I found quite hard, until (1) I worked PHILEAS FOGG out from the anagram fodder (which identified the novel) and (2) found VEEP which gave me the Nina. Saw that film when it first came out, tho will have to admit did not remember David Niven was in it, but he’s very well-known of course. The Nina gave me SPIV (my favourite clue, along with VEEP). UNPRIESTED was new to me too, but, totally fair from the definition and v clear anagram.

If you stick with puzzles, Kathryn’s Dad, I’d say you’ll see INRO again…

6. eimi says:

I’m not keen on too much pottering in Chambers on a weekday, but a theme entitles the setter to a little more leeway, I feel.

Off-message, glad to see those Spurs cast-offs are coming good for nms and KD.

I’ve no doubt I will see INRO again, nms, but whether I remember it again is of course entirely another matter …

And Eimi, don’t start, otherwise we’ll be having IanN14 piling in about TGTTWHES being only good enough for Spurs rejects (if he hasn’t already beaten me to it).

Next time Raich is on the oche, get him to put in BAN FRONT LEGEND as an anagram.

9. IanN14 says:

Not sure about that, K’sD.
    I’m still hoping for a call-up for ‘Arry’s Missus…
    I don’t see a problem with “pieces of” as two initials, or with “po”.
    (Had to say that to keep on topic; sorry Gaufrid)
    I’ll be over at the General Chat room, K’sD. There was an (unrelated) question I wanted to ask you).

10. sidey says:

I have always assumed that ‘po’ for ‘pot’ was pretension to rhyme with ‘bon mot’, sorry K’sD, but I found “And I still can’t see PO for chamber(pot).” hilarious. The pretension occurs on those ghastly shopping channels where they sell peridoT as peridoH.

I have to dispute ‘vinyls’ though. Vinyl forms a part of lots of polymers, there doesn’t seem to be a plurality of polymers called ‘vinyls’ though. Vinyls as engraved music reproducing things seems OK though.

Gaufrid, I suggest anyone mentining soccer off topic gets put into moderation ;^)

that’s a tongue in cheek smiley btw

sidey, I promise no more football asides. Until we win again, anyway, which will most likely co-incide with Glow-worm’s first puzzle of 2011.

12. Merlyn says:

Once I got Phileas Fogg a lot of it fell into place, but there were some tough ones today – unpriested I only got through random circulation of letters in the anagram until it struck me as phonetically plausible, and then the ‘lay’ fell into place.

Liked 15A

13. Martin H says:

Deserted the Guardian today, finding no fun there, to put it mildly, so came over here and found it quite intriguing.
    The first Glow-worm I’ve seen, and despite initial misgivings about 11 (like Neil), and ORM as heart of submissive type, I found it a witty, challenging crossword, and have to say both those clues were fair. So thanks Glow-worm, for rescuing Monday, and NeilH for tying up some loose ends.